Thread: Keto diet?

palme is offline Rosie Member

Keto diet?

Could someone explain or show me a link so i could read about it?

Thanks.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

demetri is offline Member
    Pick up the "Body Opus" by Dan Duchaine. I bought mine from Amazon.com for about $30 US. It's a great keto diet to follow; at least it's always worked well for me.

Another good book I'm told is the "Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle MacDonald. I haven't had a chance to look at it but a friend of mine says it quite good. MacDonald was a student of sorts of the late Dan Duchaine and has taken the keto diet a little farter...so I'm told.

Keto diet in a nutshell is to eat lots of fat (no less than 70% fat calories) and no carbs. Your body goes into ketosis, which is a state that occurs when your body breaks down the fat into ketones.

Ketones provide fewer calories than fat so you loose some calories in the conversion. Ketones can't be stored as energy in fat cells. They’re burned up by muscles, your brain likes them, you breath them out, and you pee them out. If you don't train the ketones will make your blood toxic (their an acid).

Ketones are also supposed to stimulate the release of fat deposits from "problem" areas.

The body opus incorporates ketosis with glycogen super-recompositon (carbing up). Basically the diet is supposed to strip off the fat and add some muscle to you. Plus you wouldn't want to stay in ketosis too long. Your breath will make you want to vomit.

My advice is to check out one of those two books before you give it a try.

The thing I like best about keto diets is that you hold less water when you're on it so you always look "hard".

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Thanks Tigress you rule this forum

Thank you for putting down the basics demetri!

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    I've read the "Body Opus" book and it is definately recommended. Great read for anyone wanting to do a keto diet.

demetri is offline Member
    I checked out the http://lowcarb.ca that Tigress posted and it's an excellent site. Lots of interesting info there.

Thread Information