overactive-girl is offline Female Member

Keto diet? can I do it

Someone just suggested to me that I try a Keto diet. I've researched it and I like the benefits and I think it is a great idea, but I have one problem: I do not eat meat (I only eat fish), and I do not eat dairy because I am allergic to it. This limits me as far as fat intake goes. Up until now I get most of my calories from vegetables and high fiber/low carb cereals. I can cut out the cereal, but then what. What should I eat? A keto diet is based on higher fat intake and low/no carbs, right?
    Should I start eating more egg YOLKS or something....that doesn't sound right? HELP!

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    eggs yes, i think the keto diet is essential to get your bf% low...if you search around a bit more you can find tons of food low in carbs high in fat/protein...im not too sure offhand of any simply because i never researched keto dieting too much, but ill be doing it after my next cycle, from what i know and have read it seems like a great diet...good luck

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    fish, eggs, some nuts, not all, Macadamia for instance. Also there are lots of good protein bars and powders that are low/no carb.

overactive-girl is offline Female Member
    I can't eat protein bars because of the whey in them, and if there is no whey there is soy and I am (for some unknown reason) unable to digest soy. This is very frustrating, I used to eat protein bars and drink Myoplex shakes for at least 1 meal a day, but I made myself sick from the soy protein. That is why this is so hard, I have very few options if I go on a keto diet. Thanks for the nut suggestion though, I forgot about nuts.

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    You are ok with egg protein though? You could use it for your shakes.

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Go to proteinfactory.com and you can formulate your own design of protein shake consisting of foods you CAN eat. Also you may want to try a targeted ketogenic diet b/c you will be less likely to gain the weight back after the diet is over. But even with the TKD I have had bad experiences when I up the carbs again. I prefer the slower process of a balanced diet with lots of veggies, moderate to high protein and little fat.

Also for the fat you could always get a flax oil supplement or even use olive oil in some of your recipes.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    I agree with kizer_soce, overactive-girl. It sounds possible that the limitations on the food you could eat whilst on low carb could drive you crazy!

A more balanced approach where you gradually reduce the amount of carbs in your diet until you start to lose fat might be better. This way you can continue to eat your veggies etc. and remain sane!

To be honest the keto diet is pretty unhealthy to stay on for any lengthy period so isn't really beneficial for anything other than a quick blitz every now and again.

Just MHO.

Daz

demetri is offline Member
    On a keto diet whole eggs should be your primary source of protein. It's the most perfect keto food.

Fish are also great, and the flax oil that you supplement with already counts as fat calories. You can't eat cheese so we're out of luck there. Be warry of nuts, they aren't that filling and the carbs sneek up on you. I never eat nuts on a keto diet.

I also cook everything I can with Olive Oil. It's too bad that you don't eat meat other than fish. Lamb, especially ground lamb is awsome for keto diets.

If you don't mind eating fish all the time there is lots that you can do. Tuna steaks on the BBQ. Broiling fish, I use a little bit of Lemon, vinegar, and dill to spruce it up. Smoked fish is alright too.

Whey protein will work OK, but watch out for the carbs in that too. Stay far away from protein bars. The malitol and glycerine will keep you out of ketosis.

Ketosis is not bad for you. Ketoacidosis is. If you're a diabetic this can happen. Check out www.lowcarb.ca, the forum there has soom good info.

livnnfit is offline Female Member
    You can also try natural peanut butter for fat, just make sure it' s low in carbs.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice" www.tracystar.com

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    I saw go for it. If you look around you'll find numerous foods that will work with this diet, excluding meat.
    Good luck

Thread Information