Thread: casein? crap?

adamjames is offline Member

casein? crap?

i know a lot of guys take casein, i dont take it myself currently due to funds, this guy seems to have a pretty respected opinion on many nutritional, supplement debates but im not sure where hes got these claims from? anyone know of any studies on casein backing him up??

watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxhGBKvS8xE

DKbuilder is offline Associate Member
    In for responses. I am interested as to what people have to say to this!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Hmm... very interesting. Looking forward to seeing all kinds of opinions on this. Sucks if it's true, because I LOVE my ON vanilla!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Are you kidding me?

The guy said nothing significant or even remotely scientific, and was sitting in a warehouse full of supplements.

Hmm, I wonder if he has an agenda.

No, casein isn't necessary or even optimal before bed or anytime.

Is it a worthwhile supplement? Absolutely.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    Are you kidding me?

The guy said nothing significant or even remotely scientific, and was sitting in a warehouse full of supplements.

Hmm, I wonder if he has an agenda.

No, casein isn't necessary or even optimal before bed or anytime.

Is it a worthwhile supplement? Absolutely.
    lol I hear you. I just wonder what his agenda could be. He sells supplements, so why not casein? What does he have to gain by bashing casein? It's not like he said "hey, buy THIS from me instead of garbage Casein"...

I just like playing devil's advocate. =)

mg1228 is offline Senior Member
    it worked for me--idk

i use 3 times a day

adamjames is offline Member
    no your right dude he didnt say anything scientific or conclusive............... thats why i was posting

Tony Stacks is offline Associate Member
    Sounds interesting, but as mentioned above he really doesn't have any scientific fact to back up his statement other than "stay away from casein... casein's garbage". I would do a little more research before you chuck your casein.

Then there's this guy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcnJB...eature=related

Either way you go about it, there will always be one guy saying something is the best, and another completely bashing it for whatever reason/motive. Point is... where are the facts to prove it?

Apologize for so many posts on this.

check this video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0A0U...eature=related

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    All I'll say is that from the day I started taking casein before bed, I was making better gains.

cerealkiller326 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    There is always going to be someone who swears by Whey protein and those loyal to casein protein. I consume 3-4 shakes of BSN's Sytha-6 (40g per shake/2 servings), I'm sure whey protein can be as effective, but I consume another 100g of protein from other sources (tuna,chicken, etc . Fat free cottage cheese/yogurt is another casein protein I consume before bed. I've gained from it and its what I have adjusted to.

spicyer is offline Associate Member
    Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81.

Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise.
    Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Cree MG, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR.

Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. [email protected]

Abstract
    PURPOSE: Determination of the anabolic response to exercise and nutrition is important for individuals who may benefit from increased muscle mass. Intake of free amino acids after resistance exercise stimulates net muscle protein synthesis. The response of muscle protein balance to intact protein ingestion after exercise has not been studied. This study was designed to examine the acute response of muscle protein balance to ingestion of two different intact proteins after resistance exercise.

METHODS: Healthy volunteers were randomly assigned to one of three groups. Each group consumed one of three drinks: placebo (PL; N = 7), 20 g of casein (CS; N = 7), or whey proteins (WH; N = 9). Volunteers consumed the drink 1 h after the conclusion of a leg extension exercise bout. Leucine and phenylalanine concentrations were measured in femoral arteriovenous samples to determine balance across the leg.

RESULTS: Arterial amino acid concentrations were elevated by protein ingestion, but the pattern of appearance was different for CS and WH. Net amino acid balance switched from negative to positive after ingestion of both proteins. Peak leucine net balance over time was greater for WH (347 +/- 50 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg) than CS (133 +/- 45 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg), but peak phenylalanine balance was similar for CS and WH. Ingestion of both CS and WH stimulated a significantly larger net phenylalanine uptake after resistance exercise, compared with the PL (PL -5 +/- 15 mg, CS 84 +/- 10 mg, WH 62 +/- 18 mg). Amino acid uptake relative to amount ingested was similar for both CS and WH (approximately 10-15%).

CONCLUSIONS: Acute ingestion of both WH and CS after exercise resulted in similar increases in muscle protein net balance, resulting in net muscle protein synthesis despite different patterns of blood amino acid responses.

With all this being said I mix 25gm wpi and 15 grams calcium caseinate 3 times per day and then do 40 grams cc at bedtime. It works for me!

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Cottage Cheese/ PB before bed ftw...

djmikecollins is offline New Member
    Cassein is good at night, if you are going to not use that do what the above posts states: PB and Cottage Cheese. Personally I eat every 2-3 hours so if you sleep for 8 hours that is 2 meals missed, true your metabolism is slower during the night time but having some slow digesting proteins is a good thing during that time, a fat will keep you out of the hunger zone when you are sleeping.

bruary17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    All I'll say is that from the day I started taking casein before bed, I was making better gains.
    I agree. When I'm bulking, I have a casein shake and 1cup of fat free cottage cheese before bed. I always envisioned it acting like a clog, slowly releasing quality amino acids to my muscles while I slept.

After a couple months of this, I see significant gains and strength improvements.

Thread Information