Shud is offline Associate Member

fruit : how much is too much

hi all...... just wondering....
    ive always been eating apples, pears and most other fruits in the house since i was younger.....
    im on aas at the moment and wanted to know if i should continue with all the fruit or not......
    any suggestions????

i normally have about 3-5 apples or pears, an orange and a few bannanas a day...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I'd definitely keep up with the fruit. Contains vitamins and fiber which will help aid in digestion.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Unless you are following a keto diet or in the last few weeks of a comp diet, I don't see why you would cut out fruit. I eat some everyday.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

thanks for that......
    just wondering if it too much had any negative effects....

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    I’m sorry but I can’t agree with you here guys.
    Actually it really depends on what your overall goals are in my opion. If you are looking to really bulk then I guess it is ok, however, if you are looking to cut then you need to eliminate all fruits. Here is why.

All fruits contain forms of natural sugars( fructose, as well as glucose ect) These sugars have been genetically supplied through countless generations to insure that the seeds which are housed inside the fruit have a adequate supply of nutrients in which the seeds can germinate once the fruit hits the ground. As a standard rule the ripper the fruit the higher the sugar content. This also aids in the taste which attacks certain mammals which eat the fruit and deposit the seeds via feces through out the forest those allowing for an adequate chance for future generations of the plant to survive. It’s basic genetics in the survival of a species. There are some standard rules of thumb that you can go by.

Apples- Because apples are very fibrous, they are considered to be natures toothbrush. They are believed to clean ones teeth while chewing them. His high fiber content aids in the digestion of food through keeping one “regular” so to speak. Although they are considered to have less sugar than most fruits( depending on which variety) they do contain vast amounts of sugar and thus should be avoided. A good fiber substitute should work well for the digestion process mentioned above.

Bananas- Of all the fruits these are by far the highest in sugar content. They are even excluded from Weight Watchers plans as those who have a lot of BF to lose needs to stay away from them completely. On the up side bananas are believed to be high in potassium which aids in the rebuilding of broken done muscle tissue and aids in the speedy recover of muscle soreness. As to how much a single banana has to offer in the way of potassium is debate able and I really do not believe that they are worth it due to the high sugar content that this fruit has. If one wishes to go the natural route, then a good potassium supplement can be obtained OTC which will eliminate the excess sugar intake.

Citrus fruits- These also have very high amounts of sugar. Though they posses many vitamins such as Vitamin C they also contain vast amounts of citric acid. This citric acid is believed to wear away on the enamel of one’s teeth considerable. Thus the overall ingestion of vast amounts of these fruits will inevitability cause tooth decay. On the lighter note they have also been proven to have many anti-cancer causing properties which is an added benefit along with the vitamins ( Such as Vit, C) that they contain. Fortunately these vitamins can also be bought over the counter thus eliminating any extra sugar taken in.

These are just a few of the fruits that one could mention. Like I said if one is looking to cut then one should elminate ALL simple carbs which if you look close enough fruits have plenty of. This is of course dependant on ones goals and to be honest should even be avoided to some extent if one gains BF very easily. ( Even while bulking)

IC
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-02-2002 at 11:13 AM.

speedsta is offline Junior Member
    I was gonna say stupid question untill that last guy replied.
    lol

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Tobey,

Good post.

Bottom line is it is possible for fruits to make you store more fat than if you didn't eat fruit at all.

There are a few very good threads that get into this in detail, so you might want to try a search and read the other post on the subject.

xxxl83

I think it is a first Tobey, but we must agree to disagree. I feel that there is room in your diet for everything in moderation, even fruit or should I say, especially fruit.

Fruit is packed with nutrition: fiber, vitamins, amino acids(bananas contain all 8), phytochemicals(which are thought to protect us from cancer), and anti-oxidants(which attack free radicals in our bodies).

Fat storage is encouraged mainly by the consumption of too many calories from any source, not just from glucose or fructose.

That being said, I do watch my intake of fruits, and limit it to 1-2 servings per day, and I don't eat bananas. I also eat it early in the day, after my workouts, when I know it will be digested quickly and used to replace the glucose I used during training.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    It all comes down to cal intake. You could eat fruits and protein with every meal, plus one with a few efas, and youll lose fat.
    Take a look at Body for life. Does it work? Yes. Does it contain fruits? Absolutely.
    Does it mean fruits help you cut? No. They are just a source of carbs. So if you eat fruits, try not to eat it with another carb.
    If you have a diet balanced in protein efas and carbs with lowered cal itnake you will lose weight. Of course, different varieties of diets exist, in which some impossibilate you eating fruits, yet ketoand atkins aside, its all good.
    A good idea for morning cardio is to eat all the fruits in the morning, and cut out carbs later in the evenings and replace carbs with fats and protein, so when you do morning cardio your glycogen stores will be lowered.
    PM me if you have more questions

If on a low carb diet, replace fiber with metamucil and or veggies, and take some centrum

thanks for all this info guys.....
    at the moment i am trying to bulk up and i eat a lot of fruit in between meals or while im in the car.....its easy for something on the run....
    i guess i eat it cos i try to cut out all of my junk food snaks.....and those protien shakes dont really fill me up.......

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    To derive the best of all advice given so far...and it's some great advice on both sides - DON'T eat the fruit alone (not meaning, by yourself, but without a protein source). Doing so will give you the worst of the drawbacks already mentioned.

A good meal would be 1 or 2 apples plus some cottage cheese.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Fruits contain fructose as the main carbohydrate source, the function of fructose in the body is to restore the glucogen level in the liver, it is a process that is enzyme regulated. When you run out of enzymes to convert fructose into liver glucogen you will start to deposit the fructose into fat cells as a triglycerides. The normal person has enough enzymes to conver roughly 50gm of fructose a day, that's about 2 apples or 1 apple and 1 bannana...etc, well you get the point, yes the vitamins and anitioxidents are all nice, but if your goal is to stay lean or get lean, i would limit the intake of fruit to about 2 pieces a day.

XXL

Well I never said that I personally did not consume fruits, just not on a regular basis. Actually I believe that there is an apple in my lunch box today. But in the past when I have wittnessed people ( Including myself) want to really drop thier BF% to an all time low, fruits were elminated all together.
    And like you said Tigress, everything in moderation is cool. Unfortumneatly for me when I really want to drop my BF really low, the saying is not everything in moderation but rather somethings are dealt with in elimination.( Dose that make sense?)
    Tobey
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-03-2002 at 11:35 PM.

Of course it makes sense Tobey, you always do. I do agree, when you are getting that bf% right down to the minimum, fruit does have to go and so does a lot of other things. Like alcohol and protein bars and shakes.

I found this thread very interesting actually.

Hm so theres not much to it . Dont go overboard the fruit and youll stay and get lean. Look at vegans, many look like the fakirs of India and still have plenty of fruit. Of course, they dont have protein and we do, which is why we are forced to lower the total calories by limiting fruit and other simple carbs to the most like mike xxl said.
    But hey, unless you like fruit, take a multivitamin. Makes life much easier.

Big D,
    I totally agree, take a vitamin! Ya can't go wrong there.

And like my girl Tigress mentioned, all the good stuff has to be elminated when one is bringing down their BF% to a all time low.

PS. See we never really disagree, we're like to peas in a pod.
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-03-2002 at 11:40 PM.

Thread Information