JSola is offline Associate Member

How many calories???

I'm 5'5" 170, ~15-17% bodyfat and I want to cut fat. I'm in the gym every day running 2-3times a week. How many calories should I be taking in???

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Search google for BMR calculator... plug in your info, and then multiply by the appropriate activity level. Eat about 500 calories less than that for starters.

When are you running? For how long? Do you monitor your heart rate?

any random 3 days during the week when i find time i run, from 20min-30min, and no heart rate

Well, the optimal time to do cardio for fat loss is in the morning on an empty stomach because you're not burning food in your digestive track, just fat.

Also, "running" is not ideal for fat loss when you want to conserve muscle. There is a small range where your heart rate is in the "fat burning zone"... any lower and you're not burning fat efficiently, and any higher and you start burning glycogen and it affects your muscles. The fat burning zone is approximately 65-75% of your max heart rate (MHR) and the formula for MHR is 220-age

As a trainer I'm absolutely amazed you never learned this, or how to figure out how many calories you eat every day. I'm glad I'm not one of your clients. What certification do you have?

to be honest i have all this info, but im just looking for more feedback on what others think about calories and such. most of what ive studied is pretty broad and i like getting direct info from people with experience what ive learned and applied havent always produced the desired results when i go by the book. I have my NCEP national college of exercise professionals(weekend coarse, lol) and im studying for my NSCA. my clients are almost all rehab of joints or severely overweight so i normally dont have to get too involved to get the desired results, ive also only been doing training for 6 months

sonnygll is offline Member
    Well, let me screw it up a little more for you. In my opinion the fat burning zone is bull$hit. I think the evidence is better for big foot than it is for the fat burning zone. It's sold an a$$load of magazines for Joe Weider though. Lifting weights and interval training is many magnitudes more effective. There is such a vast amount of research on this, I'm quite baffled as to why this has persisted. As far as I could tell they steered me right in the steroid section. But here it seems to be high on "bro talk" and short on scientific research.

To answer your question, I would say around 2500 ball park, maybe a tad higher. I wouldn't go lower than that though. I'd tweak the carbs too. Frequently I rip the cutting diet a new a$$hole, so I'd recommend ignoring that. Well, unless your an ecto with tendencies towards hypoglycemia.

Just a plug for the sample cutting diet, I used it (with minor adjustments) while dieting for a bodybuilding show and had great results.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Why not start by showing us what you currently are eating and break down the calories and your current results in the last 6wks while doing so?
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Thread Information