the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

pure egg white protein

Where I live protein is hard to come by and I got the chance of as much as I want of pure egg white protein. From what I have researched it seems ok I usually order whey from US or UK but this is cheap and no waiting for customs to charge me tax just delivered. I can add my own flavourings and that so I dont care just wonder about anyones experience with it? how is it on the stomach? protein values seem high? any ideas anyone?

peace

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I,ve used it before and never had any probs lots of people don,t use it anymore as it is not as hyped up as leading brands of protein powders.I use to add fruit or yogurt to it and it always tasted great.No bloat from what i can remember

ripped_82 is offline Member
    Egg whites are a great source of protein which is low cal, and carb. When I diet down it is the perfect meal to have before bed. The downfall od egg whites, and why it is not used so much is due to the fact that it is high in BV(biological value). What this means is that it takes your stamch acids around 3-4hrs to completely break down, and absorb by your body. It is obvious why one would not use it afetr workouts since too much blood would escape the muscle tissue by the time you would send protein to the muscle cells. This is why WHEY is #1 after workouts. But I believe that egg whites are a great choice to eat before bed, or if you plan on not having any protein for a while.

No disrespect bro but the "old school" bodybuilders lived of that stuff and they always managed to look good,granted the exchange rate is not as quick as the whey protein but you could use it before your workout so by the time you finish your muscles are benefiting from the protein.Also take into consideration that you should consume it within 1 hour after the workout it still seems a reasonable choice of protein.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    OJ if you can get it cheap then go ahead. Like everyone has already mentioned the absorption rate is much slower than whey protien. This can lead the labels to be misleading, as it may say that you are getting 30 grams of protien per serveing, but in reality by the time the protein powder begins to go through the digestive tract, ( Large then small intenstines) your body has only been able to absoob maybe . half of the original amount that the label has stated you are getting. Of course your body can and dose still abosrb some more while it is in your intenstines but the absorption is minimal.
    I guess what I am trying to say is to be aware that you are not getting as much protien intake as you may think.
    Tobey

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Erm, sorry to be contrary but egg white powder is fine (assuming it wont be Jason's only source of protein)!

BV isn't a digestibility score, but a ratio of protein retained over protein absorbed * 100. A BV of 100 means that all the protein absorbed is retained and hence is the maximum score for this test. (Whey having a BV of greater than 100 is obviously nonsense - you can't retain more than you have absorbed). Egg white has a BV of 88, which is actually higher than beef, chicken, casein and fish.

Egg protein is surprisingly digestible - it certainly doesn't look like it would be from the look of cooked eggs right? Luckily for us our stomach / intestines do a great job on many protein sources so have no fear:

Food Source / Protein digestibility (%)

Egg / 97

Milk and cheese / 97

Mixed US diet / 96

Peanut butter / 95

Meat and fish / 94

Whole wheat / 86

Oatmeal / 86

Soybeans / 78

Rice / 76

(Source: National Research Council. Recommended Dietary Allowances, 10th ed. National Academy Press, 1989.)

Whilst all the above is all well and good remember that it's all a bit academic for us bodybuilders because of the quanities of protein we ingest - PV decreases as protein intake increases (and PV is actually tested at below mainenance levels).

In reality as long as you are getting plentiful amounts of protein (e.g. > 1 gram per pound bodyweight)any decents sources of protein will be as good as any other.

Cheers,

def

It is underated and people are so caught up in products like MUSCLETECH and their advertising they forget the basics.

Exactly right Billy Boy.

Daz

Just realised your from the UK bro,good to have you here.

Thanks mate - appreciate that. Where abouts in the UK are you? I'm in the good ol' midlands...

Daz

north west all the way gotta hate them southerners lol thats anywhere south of manchester lol

LOL

Us midlanders are considered southerners by you nancy northerners and northerners by the soft southerners...

thats bed u get the shitty end of the stick no matter which way u look at it

Yeah. Good job we're rock hard then eh?

Thread Information