PoorMan is offline Junior Member

How much protein in each meal?

Hey, I've read in a couple different places that your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein in each sitting. Someone said like 20-25 grams. When I have my shakes, I have 2 scoops in 8 ounces of milk. Which comes out to 52 grams of protein. Am I wasting half of that protein? I normally have 2 shakes a day, at 52 grams each. Plus whatever food I eat with protein. Should I only have one scoop? I'd certainly be saving a lot more money on protein. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated. Thanks.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    It's a bit of a myth to be honest. The body can absorb a lot more than that in one sitting. If you weren't absorbing that 52 grams of protein what do you think your stools would be like? The thing to bear in mind is that the fraction of the protein ingested per meal decreases with increasing protein intake. I.e. if you increased your overall protein intake then the percentage of that amount absorbed would decrease.

If you are getting wind / upset stomach from your drinks it may well be the milk and not the powder... try it in water and see how that goes.

def

PoorMan is offline Junior Member
    Yea, I feel fine after my shakes. So thats not an issue. I was just wondering if I was wasting my protein. I've tried it in water to avoid the carbs that are in milk (I was/am on a low carb diet) but it tastes so bad. I got some Keto Milk, powdered low carb milk, and it wasn't that bad. Tastes a little bit like milk, not really though. Certainly better than water though. Haha. Anywayl, thanks for the help.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    As your body consumes more protein it absorbs it quicker i never go over 80g per sitting but then I know what my body can handle and what is best for it.Listen to your body if you feel that it is OK then it probably is.

Thread Information