CreMator is offline New Member

Question Eating before training

Hi guys, once again thanks for all the help!

I have changed my training times from the evening to first thing in the morning (05:30)

I was planning to have a 1/2 serving (20g) of protein shake and a piece of fruit about 30 mins before i go. Is this advisable or should i skip eating before i train and wait until breakfast?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I would eat before I train espically that early in the am.Have a look at Primo,s post I believe there is some good info on that.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I would only eat if I wasn't Leaning out ...

the fat burn is considerably less if you have eaten b4 your workout ... otherwise, I would eat b4 weight training but I still wouldn't eat if it was cardio in the A.M. ....

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Depending on how long after you awake...one you may not need anything except a high glycemic carb, and smiply, I don't want my body working to digest protein during my workout. I want the blood and 02 to go wherever it's needed. You need to replenish your liver glycogen upon rising but your muscles should be full of glycogen from the prior eve. meal. I've read some contradictory theories, so you'll have to test everything, but in my experience the above is best. One thing is true...a thermogenic will jack you up well in the am!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i usually eat some fruit before i go to train. it's all i need to get through, without getting weighed down by a huge meal

MarkyMark is offline Member
    when I would weight train in the morning I found an orange would be suitable 10 minutes b4 training

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Originally posted by dumbells101
    Depending on how long after you awake...one you may not need anything except a high glycemic carb, and smiply, I don't want my body working to digest protein during my workout.
    Now I have heard this before. I use to eat breakfast before working out but I read somewhere( don't remember where) that if you take in alot of protien right before you workout it is a waste.I useually eat some type of carbs such as grits or oatmeal, go workout then come home to eat my regular breakfast after my workout. There is about an hour window right after you workout that your body absorbs nutrients at alot faster rate. Have any of you ever heard this?
    Tobey

primodonna is offline Female Member
    what does your regular breakfast include?

I do have a reason for asking...

Also, the "window" from what you read is around 30 mins-1 hr. There are conflicting reports on the exact timing of it but why mess around... I drink mine no more than 5 mins directly after my last set. Just a few more things to bring to the gym but necessary IMO.
    What happens here, stays here

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I also try to get my carbs in immediately after workout following that I wait nor more than an hour for the protein. I've read some conflicting info on protein before workouts but it doesn't make basic sense to have food being assimilated while you're body is in need of blood and O2 at the cellular level to help muscle contract. It basically seems counterproductive for the workout. If I read a real study done that says otherwise then I'll test it but for now I stick to a high glycemic carb 30 min before training and that's it until afterwards. That's my take.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i've heard that window is between 60 and 90 minutes post workout. but like primo said, why play around? i usually keep my shake with me at the gym and drink it immediately after

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    If you are on a cutting cycle, go with just the protein, to help spare some muscle. Don't eat the carbs because they will get into your blood stream and you will burn them instead of fat.

If mass is your goal, the fruit is fine to add to it. The key is not to eat alot. If you do, your stomach will be competing with your muslces for bload during the workout, and your digestion and workout will both suffer.

Thread Information