Michael Scott is offline Associate Member

How much more do you have to eat while on a cycle ?

I notice when reading cycle logs/reviews everybody seems to put on a lot of extra fat when on a cycle. It's very counterproductive to their goal because, assuming they want to be cut, when they do cut it will take longer and they will inevitably end up losing muscle and strength, maybe even more than the extra muscle they may have gained on cycle because of over eating.

So if you're bulking normally, not on a cycle, and you need 300-500 calories over your maintenance to build muscle with very little fat gain, could you get away with eating the same on a cycle or would you need slightly more, like say 500-700.

I just don't want to end up gaining so much extra fat and then end up losing a lot of muscle when I cut soon after.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I wouldn't say that anyone who cycles properly puts on a lot of extra fat. On a bulk I may go from 9% to 12%, but I hardly look "fat".

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I wouldn't say that anyone who cycles properly puts on a lot of extra fat. On a bulk I may go from 9% to 12%, but I hardly look "fat".
    How many extra calories do you eat on cycle as opposed to bulking off cycle ?

Big
    I only bulk on cycle.

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    google maintaniance calorie calculate. spell maintaninace right. If bulking go 500 cals over. If cutting 500 under. good luck

oker is offline Associate Member
    Big, how many calories would you estimate the following to be:

meal 1 - cup brown rice/4 egg whites/1yolk/glass orange juice

meal 2 - 100 grams tofu steamed with lean chicken mince & oyster sauce/1 cup chick

meal 3 - x 2 small chicken breasts/mixed veg fried in teaspoon olive oil

meal 4 - PWO protein drink/2 1/2 scoops (40 grams)

meal 5 - 4 egg whites/1 slice of cheese/1 slice of lean ham

meal 6 - protein drink (40 grams)

40 years old 2nd cycle test/deca 16% BF

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    its very difficult to say. we dont know whats in the shake fat carb wise. estamation would be 3400 cals

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oker View Post
    Big, how many calories would you estimate the following to be:

meal 1 - cup brown rice/4 egg whites/1yolk/glass orange juice

meal 2 - 100 grams tofu steamed with lean chicken mince & oyster sauce/1 cup chick

meal 3 - x 2 small chicken breasts/mixed veg fried in teaspoon olive oil

meal 4 - PWO protein drink/2 1/2 scoops (40 grams)

meal 5 - 4 egg whites/1 slice of cheese/1 slice of lean ham

meal 6 - protein drink (40 grams)

40 years old 2nd cycle test/deca 16% BF
    calorieking.com

oker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200byjune View Post
    its very difficult to say. we dont know whats in the shake fat carb wise. estamation would be 3400 cals
    Cheers bro, actually it's only 2 shakes on weight days, 3 times a week mon, wed, fri - bike 3 times a week sun, tues, thurs (I shake on these days before bed).

Would you say this is to many cal to lose more BF? Cheers in advance

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oker View Post
    Cheers bro, actually it's only 2 shakes on weight days, 3 times a week mon, wed, fri - bike 3 times a week sun, tues, thurs (I shake on these days before bed).

Would you say this is to many cal to lose more BF? Cheers in advance
    Read the stickies.

Find out your daily energy expenditure using the Harris Benedict Equation and do 300-500 less.

Big
    I use fitday.com
    calorieking.com is good too

Quote Originally Posted by mkrulic View Post
    google maintaniance calorie calculate. spell maintaninace right. If bulking go 500 cals over. If cutting 500 under. good luck
    That's what I do when I'm off cycle, but would 500 over maint be enough while ON ?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
    I notice when reading cycle logs/reviews everybody seems to put on a lot of extra fat when on a cycle. It's very counterproductive to their goal because, assuming they want to be cut, when they do cut it will take longer and they will inevitably end up losing muscle and strength, maybe even more than the extra muscle they may have gained on cycle because of over eating.

So if you're bulking normally, not on a cycle, and you need 300-500 calories over your maintenance to build muscle with very little fat gain, could you get away with eating the same on a cycle or would you need slightly more, like say 500-700.

I just don't want to end up gaining so much extra fat and then end up losing a lot of muscle when I cut soon after.
    Your diet should remain pretty much the same on or off cycle and if you are gaining lots of fat then you need to adjust it. Fat gain does not help anyone, it is an out of date and old fashioned philosophy which just means you have to put in 3 times the effort when cutting - not fun!
    The only thing i might change would be the ammount of protein in each meal. Steroids increase protein synthesis enabling more to be utilised. I normally stick with 50g pro for meals anyway.

What worries me is that since you're on gear you're body will be able build more muscle than it could if you're natural, wouldn't you need extra calories for that growth to take place ? Like say you're natural and eating 500 calories over your maintenance each day, making that 3500 extra calories which equals one pound of weight gain. But if you're ON, you would want to gain more than one pound a week, so shouldn't you eat enough extra calories that would equal the amount of weight you'd like to gain ?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    you waste a lot of the calories you consume in abundance. like Beast was elluding to, caloric excess is just that, more than enough. when cycling you may use more of the excess that you would if you were off. things don't need to change much. it's all in how those calories are utilized. IMO people bulk with extremes. but to each his own.

Thread Information