mekler is offline Associate Member

Question what's considered "low-carb"?

just curious as to what's considered a low-carb diet. i'm currently only taking in about 80-90g of carbs per day. i'm 5'7, 164lbs, 19%.. can someone clarify for me? thanks everyone

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there,

not sure what others may say, but I think most have always considered around 100g or less as low carb. I think when you start going higher, like 150+ it is 'moderate carb' and lower, at around 50g- it is 'no-carb'.

demetri is offline Member
    For me it's anything under 10 grams of carbs a day. My maintenace cals are so low though so I'm not sure if I qualify

IMO low carbs is all about the ratios. under 5% of your caloric intake from carbs is low. 33% is moderate, anything above that is high and fat inducing. I used to eat about 90% of my calories from sugar .... odly enough my nickname was lard ass at the time.

Demetri

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    For me under 20 is considered low. I feel that I burn fat best if I stay under 20 and have 1 "refeed" day per week. During this day, I still try not to go over 200 carbs.

i've read on metabolicdiet.com that when refeeding, you should keep the fat low, then when you go back to low carb, eat a good amount of fat. any suggestions?

beenie is offline Senior Member
    It all depends ion your carbohydrate tolerence level. For some people it is as little as 10 or 20 grams a day other people its more. Atkins uses Ketosis as the gauge. So you do a week with no carbs (or under 5 grams). Your body will go into ketosis. The next week you add 20 grams of carbs a day to your diiiet and see if you are still in ketosis. the third week up it to 40 if you stuill were in at 20. Each week you stay in, you can up the carb intake until you are no longer in ketosis. Then you lower your carb intake back to the point where you were in ketosos.

You can test this with keto strips bought at any drug store.

Hope this helps.

superbeast is offline Member
    This is kinda funny, low carb for me is probably under 600g. Carbs are very important for building muscle. There was a similar thread to this and I had the same response. Of you guys that responded, are any of you big, I have to doubt it. Ask Mike_XXL or Dr. Derek, even when they are closing in on a show, they don't drop their carbs anywhere near the levels that you guys are talking about. Forget this extremely low carb shit and eat right and workout hard. You'll speed up your metabolism enough to burn fat without killing yourself.

SB

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    The man is right low carbs only works for B.B really looking to get rid of that last bit of water and are so juiced up . I recently completed a cutting cycle that incorporated no carbs toward the end of the week and it made me skinny, ripped but very flat. Like super beast said eat the right carbs and train hard and do cardio on empty stomach 60-70% max HR that's what I will do next time.

bigteez66 is offline Junior Member

low carbs

Low carbs also make your muscles look flat.

FmRommel is offline Member
    Isnt that why people have a "reload" day?

if there was a "reload" day, wouldnt it be a CKD diet?

Thread Information