wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver

Simple Guide to Bulking

Ok guys in this little thread im going to lay out a few ground rules needed for Bulking up.

In bodybuilding there are six basic elements to succeeding.

1. Ambition, Drive, and Determination.
    2. Nutrition
    3. supplementation
    4. Rest
    5. training
    6. Anabolic and/or Androgens (not required but definately has a part in the sport)

Eventually I will try to make a thread about every aspect of every element out of the 6 but it will probly take a while so let me iterate on element 2. nutrition. more specifically Bulking up.

1.5-2.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight

3.0-3.5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight

limit usage of high glycemic carbs and simple sugars to your post workout meal

immediately after your workout consume 40-60 grams of protein along with 40-75 grams of simple carbs, preferably dextrose and maltodextrin which restore muscle glycogen levels and give you an insulin spike which drives the nutrients in protein to your muscle

eat six to seven meals a day each containing carbs and protein, try to reduce carb intake as the day progresses and keep a steady supply of protein. if you cannot cram this many meals while you are awake then have a time released protein drink ready for you at around 2:00 am so you can set your alarm and down it,this will enable you to utilize the most out of the high growth harmone levels at night while sleeping and keep your body with a steady supply of amino acids which are the building blocks of muscle.

Get plenty of rest 8-12 hours per night

Do not do cardio- cardio puts your body into a catabolic state for the muscle and does nothing to increase muscle density nor size. A strict nutritional regimen like the one i have posted will keep the fat off and the muscle building.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Good post!

Outshined is offline Junior Member
    Nice Post. I agree with everything except the part about not doing cardio. Cardio is way too beneficial to cut out completely weither you are trying to gain mass, maintaining or trying to cut, for a couple of reasons.
    1)The saddest thing in the world is seeing a bodybuilder who gets winded when he walks up a flight of stairs.
    2)A person CANNOT reach his/her genetic potential without building up
    mitochondrial density and the most common way to build this up is by doing cardio.
    3)Stop complaining if you are not making gains if you have a fast metabolism or you can't eat enough. Doing cardio is not the reason why a person does not gain mass. Most people would kill to have a fast metabolism like that and eating enough is easy if you make it a priority. Eat More, Train Less , Up The Intensity Of Your Workouts and Sleep. Don't cut out cardio, you just have to eat more.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    I totally respect your opinion and your points Outshined. On a different note, How much cardio would you reccomend for me during a cutting phase while trying to maintain as much mass as possible. Im 6'2 273 pounds @ 17-19% b/f and would like to achieve my goal of 255 @ 10-12% b/f within a six month period. if my goals are unrealistic then that is ok just tell me but if they are maybe you could help out.

silverfox I sent you a pm about this bro

Damn st82hellnbak you are one big mofo.
    Check your pms.

Umberto is offline Junior Member
    Good post Str8
    Dont wanna kick my ass anymore, I hope. J/K
    How much of a difference does the mid-night protien drink make in your opinion? Did it help you with recovery?

Definately have to make nutrition a HUGE priority in bulking. I try to eat whenever I dont feel full any more, I never let myself get hungry and I eat double-portion. I did this and went from 218 to 242 lbs. In about ten weeks naturally. Got a little fat but strong as hell.

TO Outshined:
    You mentioned cadrio being the most common way to build Mitochondrial density. It might be the most common way but definately not the best. Cardiovascular health is a measure of how rapidly your Lungs, heart and blood responds to stress. This is achieved by cardio. But more so by heavy resistance training, which taxes your cardiovascular and nervous system extemely radipdly. Which releases numerous hormones which dialate blood vessels supplying cells with more oxygen. This oxygen is then used by The mitochondria to make ATP (which powers almost everything in your body). If the mitochondria do not use the oxygen quickly and efficiently enough, the cell becomes poisened by the excess oxygen and dies. The mitochondria, thus adapt by becoming more efficient (more dense). Cardio brings about a smoother stress on muscle cells.
    Soory if I didnt explained my self well. Just ask and Ill explain

Hey sup Umberto how's it been man, havent' seen you around lately ,we need to get together one night and you can buy me a drink for knocking me on the ground lol. But yea the mid-night protein drink def helps wether you are bulking or not. Just tweaking your diet a lil and applying nutritional manipulation can make such a difference bro. If anyone is interested in the nutritional manipulation just shoot me a pm ill see if I can write you up something and get you on the right track. peace

I understand what you are saying Umberto.
    I did not mean to imply that cardio is the only way to build Mitochondrial density.
    The other way is through weight training like you suggested.

Fast Twitch IIB(Glycolytic Fibers) - are our power fibers and lifting in the 8-12 repetition range will develope Mitochondrial density

Fast Twitch IIA(Oxidative Fibers) - Lifting in the 12-25 repetition range will work for these.

Slow Twitch I - Density is best accomplished in the 50 and up range._

Strip sets and supersets get the job done as well.

Thread Information