Thread: caffeine?

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member

Question caffeine?

im currently cutting and i do 1.5 hours elliptical in the am on empty stomach and read in flex that taking caffeine and some bcaas pre running will help burn more fat and block muscle waisting anyone try this caffein and are there any sides to caffeine everyday?

cancel post i got my answers not that it mattered anyways

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    you should slow down doing 1.5 hours, I can gurantee you, your are wasting muscle.
    What is you HR for this 90 mins?
    some Bcaa? How many grams are you using, caffeine how much?
    If you look at my post you will see what i use and charting it also with LBM gain and loss

Quote Originally Posted by jackjackson;42***50
    you should slow down doing 1.5 hours, I can gurantee you, your are wasting muscle.
    What is you HR for this 90 mins?
    some Bcaa? How many grams are you using, caffeine how much?
    If you look at my post you will see what i use and charting it also with LBM gain and loss
    2 bcaa caps and 200mg caffeine from lipo6 fat burner, i thought maybee 1.5 hours was alitlle much but ran it at 5 days to see if there was a difference about the same either way maybee it was a mental thing my heart rat stays between 124and 130 the whole time

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    So what were your conclusions about your original question?

I agree that 1.5 hours at one interval is too much cardio. If you were to break it up into two sessions (i.e. immediately upon waking and after weight training) it would be fine.

How old are you? Do you know what your HR should be at?
    Are you doing low or hi intensity?
    2Bcaa caps? You need at least 5-10 Grams, 2bcaa caps might give you 1 g overall.
    What is your diet like?
    How are you monitoring your HR?

Quote Originally Posted by jackjackson View Post
    How old are you? Do you know what your HR should be at?
    Are you doing low or hi intensity?
    2Bcaa caps? You need at least 5-10 Grams, 2bcaa caps might give you 1 g overall.
    What is your diet like?
    How are you monitoring your HR?

i am 23 so my hr is supposed to be in 118-130 range my diet is low carb with high protein intensity is moderate (not easy but not too tiring) the machine i use has a monitor, i know i need 6 caps a day but was asking if anyone heard of this before am cardio on empty stomach, i know my diet is in check ive lost the fat before but hit hard times and fell off the wagon so i had to redoe it but want it quicker this time

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    23 i would think your heart rate should be around 160

yeh you need to recheck your Hr Im not much older than you
    mines 132- 150 for low intesity

Quote Originally Posted by jackjackson View Post
    yeh you need to recheck your Hr Im not much older than you
    mines 132- 150 for low intesity
    thats what im saying

Read my post in this section

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    How to Keep from Losing Muscle on Empty Stomach Cardio

i see a couple options to keep you from going catabolic with empty stomach cardio, btw i use both of these in conjunction and they work very well..

1) if you can, order some bulk glutamine (around 15-20$ for 500g) and take around 5-10g before cardio, this will give your body a large amount of glutamine to use to replenish it's amino acid pool. The reason this is important is because when your body enters a catabolic state it breaks down muscle tissue into it's constitute amino acids and transports those to your liver where they are broken down into alanine and converted into glycogen via gluconeogenesis. But this can be avoided by providing your body with either protein for it to break down into amino acids or the aminos themselves. Btw, glutamine makes up about 60% of the aminos in muscle tissue and therefore is the most used amino during gluconeogenesis, that's why i recommend it.

2) Drink a whey protein shake before cardio (i prefer whey for this because whey is a fast acting protein so the aminos in it are digested within 45 minutes), this will supply your body with the aminos it needs and will spare your muscle from being burned for energy, and if your wondering if it will be counter-productive to drink a shake because the protein will be used and you won't be burning fat, don't worry, it won't unless your training with high enough intensity for it to be used to fuel gluconeogenesis, cool huh, lol. Btw, most protein shakes are infused with amino acids, just look on the jug and you'll see a list of the aminos in it, so you're getting glutamine from it.

i normally will drink a small shake (about 20g of protein), made with water and add glutamine and caffeine(if you didn't know, caffeine increases fat-oxidation, lowers perception of workout intensity, and spares muscle glycogen, making it a perfect companion during cardio), this combination increases my ability to perform cardio in both duration and intensity and gives me peace of mind knowing that my muscle has very little chance of being tapped into for energy.

thanks phate always a help and i was told that my hr should be 220-age times .65 was i wrong because i do lose fat with hr at 130(was told this range is best for fat burning) but if im wrong and could lose it faster then im all for it

What i understand is that 130 is a fat burning rate for 30 min of cardio

on the other hand

160 is also going to burn more fat because of the rate it leaves you body in

that rate is a faster and longer fat burning metabolism

so you can burn for 30min or for 1hour and 30 min with 30 min of more intense cardio

Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    What i understand is that 130 is a fat burning rate for 30 min of cardio

on the other hand

160 is also going to burn more fat because of the rate it leaves you body in

that rate is a faster and longer fat burning metabolism

so you can burn for 30min or for 1hour and 30 min with 30 min of more intense cardio

so you guys go for the first half hour at target heart rate and then increase it for the last half hour?

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilder1107 View Post
    so you guys go for the first half hour at target heart rate and then increase it for the last half hour?
    No what I'm saying is if you do 30min of cardio with a target heart rate of 160

you will burn more fat thought out the workout and continue to burn fat for a

longer period after your cardio is over then you would if you did it with less

intensity is that easier to understand?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    No what I'm saying is if you do 30min of cardio with a target heart rate of 160

you will burn more fat thought out the workout and continue to burn fat for a

longer period after your cardio is over then you would if you did it with less

intensity is that easier to understand?
    you're partially correct, he will burn more calories because of the greater energy output created by higher intensity, but at 160bpm he will start burning muscle if he is in a fasted state

the afterburn effect you are refering to won't come into effect much with steady state cardio, even at 160bpm, to get a good afterburn going you need to do interval training or HIIT that elevates you're heart and puts you in the 85-95% range for short periods with rest in between, though this is NOT recommended during fasting state as it puts you in a very anaerobic state

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    you're partially correct, he will burn more calories because of the greater energy output created by higher intensity, but at 160bpm he will start burning muscle if he is in a fasted state

the afterburn effect you are refering to won't come into effect much with steady state cardio, even at 160bpm, to get a good afterburn going you need to do interval training or HIIT that elevates you're heart and puts you in the 85-95% range for short periods with rest in between, though this is NOT recommended during fasting state as it puts you in a very anaerobic state
    I agree with those last 2 post that sum's it up

Just one more peace of advice

"when it comes to loosing weight don't take advice from some one fatter then you."(OH REALLY)

got it

Thread Information