M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member

Insulin Response?

Since I have joined here I have obtained a wealth of knowledge about carbs and the insulin response, but in a quest to learn even more valuable info concerning this subject I have a few questions. Obviously we know the role that low GI and high GI carbs have on our insulin levels (low = a slower, more sustained insulin response, high = a rapid insulin response that spikes then pluments, no consistency. My question, is there a difference in insulin secretion depending on the amount of carbs you intake (assuming the carbs are low GI)? I mean, if I intake 30g of carbs from oats will there be less insulin response then if I were to injest 100g of carbs from oats? I would think the answer would be yes but I had to ask. Another question I have is how much fat is needed to slow down absorption? Assuming I consume the same meal, will adding 15g of efa's have a slower absorption rate than if I were to add 5g of efa's?

Sorry if this is boring to some but I think we could all benefit from learning the body's response to carb intake and the rate at which food is absorped. This is a chance for all of you scientific diet guru's to chime in. If any of you have any article's pertaining to this subject they would be welcome here as well. Thanks

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    I believe it would be more of the same thing, so eating 100g of oats vs 30g won't change the insulin response.

Assuming I consume the same meal, will adding 15g of efa's have a slower absorption rate than if I were to add 5g of efa's?
    It would most likely slow the digestion rate.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    I believe it would be more of the same thing, so eating 100g of oats vs 30g won't change the insulin response.

It would most likely slow the digestion rate.
    I would agree with ironmaiden although these are just my own assumptions/opinions... I would think that eating more of a food type would type would not change the insulin response because it's rate of absorption, thus insulin spiking shouldn't change... It may just be prolonged simply due to the fact that there is more food being digested...

Higher amounts of fats (EFA's) would probably slow digestion for alonger period than a small amount based off the same principle...

This may be a question for Nark, but I think it's very interesting... Thanks for bringing it up Imola

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I would agree with ironmaiden although these are just my own assumptions/opinions... I would think that eating more of a food type would type would not change the insulin response because it's rate of absorption, thus insulin spiking shouldn't change... It may just be prolonged simply due to the fact that there is more food being digested...

Higher amounts of fats (EFA's) would probably slow digestion for alonger period than a small amount based off the same principle...

This may be a question for Nark, but I think it's very interesting... Thanks for bringing it up Imola
    No prob bro I have been thinking about this for awhile now I believe it is pertnent information. I have been reading a lot of your post lately and I find them to be most helpful, good stuff

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    No prob bro I have been thinking about this for awhile now I believe it is pertnent information. I have been reading a lot of your post lately and I find them to be most helpful, good stuff
    Agreed^^^ and i've been reading your posts as well... Also good stuff

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes fats slow the digestion and transition to sugar. The amount of fats directly affects the conversion as well. The more fats the more impact on GI, also the same goes for fibre.

So an easier way to lower GI is to add fibre to the meal through veggies. For example if the GI of a baked potato is near 90 and green beans is 30 you can make the total GI about 35 if you eat a lot more green beans than potatoes in that given meal.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    Yes fats slow the digestion and transition to sugar. The amount of fats directly affects the conversion as well. The more fats the more impact on GI, also the same goes for fibre.

So an easier way to lower GI is to add fibre to the meal through veggies. For example if the GI of a baked potato is near 90 and green beans is 30 you can make the total GI about 35 if you eat a lot more green beans than potatoes in that given meal.
    Thanks for the response bro. Your response was really easy to follow and helped with some of the questions I had.

Thread Information