saboudian is offline Senior Member

Negative Calories

Something interesting i found.

WHAT VEGETABLE HAS NEGATIVE CALORIES?

Celery; it takes more calories to eat and digest a piece of
    celery than the celery has in it initially.

Luke530 is offline Junior Member
    false info, unfortunately... but they are basically "empty" calories... as they will do nothing to effect body composition...

And celery is hard as hell to digest

I have half a stick in my salad and will burp it all night... yuck.

Red

unclebeets is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Luke530
    false info, unfortunately... but they are basically "empty" calories... as they will do nothing to effect body composition...

Can you define "Empty Calorie" ? I thought a calorie was a calorie

Originally posted by unclebeets

Can you define "Empty Calorie" ? I thought a calorie was a calorie
    basically it has calories, but they will be burned in the digestion process, giving the food little or no nutritional value in the from of energy.

NoLimits is offline Member
    So you put Unsalted Natural Peanut Butter on your celery... and oh yeah, good calories.

rick1979 is offline New Member
    I agree with you Saboadian,i've always heard that about celery,if you can prove otherwise Luke,please post that info.

Originally posted by rick1979
    I agree with you Saboadian,i've always heard that about celery,if you can prove otherwise Luke,please post that info.
    how can I prove it... do a basic search on "google"... look it up in a few books... it's an old myth... the truth is, the human body is very capable o absorbing the calories from celery... it does not take away from your caloric intake... it will add to it, not much... you would have to eat unimaginable loads of it to get any energy from it... this is why it is good for keto... but it is not a NEGATIVE calorie food by any means. look at the digestive process, it's very complex, and it will not digest anything that takes more energy than it can provide... celery is something like 90-95% water, mostly fiber and some carbs...

rick1979 is offline New Member
    so if you have done a search on google post your info.

Originally posted by rick1979
    so if you have done a search on google post your info.
    why don't you look for yourself... i'm not going to be doing other peoples work for them, If I had saved it, I would have, but i didn't

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Luke- I'm with ya on this one. I have read some info on what you're saying.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Celery like alot of veggies are good for the roughage in the body ... It is a dietary delite for the obese because they can snack on them without worry ... And celery is not worthless, believe it or not it does have nutrients....

MM

Thanks TEX...

celery and all of those other fiberous veggies have little nutritional value, so it's not a worry for anyone cutting because they would have to eat unimaginable amounts to actually maintain bodyweight... but they sure as hell wont cause you to BURN any calories...

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    But doesn't your body burn calories digesting food. No matter what the food is your body still has to digest it and pass it thru it's system. I remember hearing some silliness of people going on cabbage soup diets that their body would burn more calories processing the foods in their system than was derived from eating the food.. BTW what does your body do with this food that "it canot digest anything that takes more energy than it can provide" it must do something with it, it has to pass it thru your internals so you can poop it out, that must take some calories..

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    But doesn't your body burn calories digesting food. No matter what the food is your body still has to digest it and pass it thru it's system. I remember hearing some silliness of people going on cabbage soup diets that their body would burn more calories processing the foods in their system than was derived from eating the food.. BTW what does your body do with this food that "it canot digest anything that takes more energy than it can provide" it must do something with it, it has to pass it thru your internals so you can poop it out, that must take some calories..

Pain
    you are right... but celery DOES have calories... you are not going to get sick from it... but it sure will help satisfy you when you are cutting... don't expect it to burn calories or make you any fatter... that's the point... it's pretty much a neutral food...

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    OK so you are saying that celery has about the same amount of cals in it that it takes your body to burn it. That is more reasonable, I thought that you were saying your body didn't use any energy when digesting it. BTW I wish cheese cake had this property.

Thread Information