TheJuicer is offline Member

Whole-wheat pasta Post Workout

My lifting partner has a problem with certain food pre-workout. He was doing oatmeal but it doesnt sit right he says. He hate potatoes. Pasta is what hes told me today hes eating before he hit the gym. Is this ok. Is there a sauce that he could use that would be health pre-workout. Tuna was his protein source for pre- today. Thanx
    Last edited by TheJuicer; 12-29-2008 at 08:31 AM.

TheJuicer is offline Member
    Bump...

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    tuna and whole-wheat pasta as a pre-WO meal is great but since the pasta is low GI and protein from whole foods, you need to eat 1.5 to 2 hrs before workout to reap the energy benefits

the closer to WO time you get, the higher GI and simpler the carbs and protein can go... I take 20g dex and 40g whey 40 mins prior and it works great

there are lots of low-cal sauces to choose from nowadays... go crazy!

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane View Post
    tuna and whole-wheat pasta as a pre-WO meal is great but since the pasta is low GI and protein from whole foods, you need to eat 1.5 to 2 hrs before workout to reap the energy benefits

the closer to WO time you get, the higher GI and simpler the carbs and protein can go... I take 20g dex and 40g whey 40 mins prior and it works great

there are lots of low-cal sauces to choose from nowadays... go crazy!
    Really? I thought that oats or low GI carbs 1 hour before your workout would suffice? Seems as though the digestion process would have been started within the hour.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    imo, if you are having low GI carbs throughout the day up to your workut, you will have sufficient glycogen storage to support your workout...

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    imo, if you are having low GI carbs throughout the day up to your workut, you will have sufficient glycogen storage to support your workout...
    very true but what if you are running a low carb day in which you eat carbs in your first meal and then don't eat them again until pre-workout (meal 4). In which I usually have these carbs in meal 4 one hour before my workout. Do you think an hour is long enough to store up glycogen?

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    very true but what if you are running a low carb day in which you eat carbs in your first meal and then don't eat them again until pre-workout (meal 4). In which I usually have these carbs in meal 4 one hour before my workout. Do you think an hour is long enough to store up glycogen?
    In the case of a low carb day, i would carb up in more than just my first meal before a workout... It would be questionable as to whether eating a carb source an hour before your workout would suffice in fueling your glycogen stores... In that case, having a serving of dextrose 15 min before your workout may be a better option

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    In the case of a low carb day, i would carb up in more than just my first meal before a workout... It would be questionable as to whether eating a carb source an hour before your workout would suffice in fueling your glycogen stores... In that case, having a serving of dextrose 15 min before your workout may be a better option
    Good point about the dextrose! I have wondered if the carbs from breakfast and then my pre workout meal (1 hour prior to workout) will fill up my glycogen stores enough to fuel my workout. I think me having a refeed day (high carb) the day before my low carb day help with my glycogen stores. I don't suffer from lost of energy on these low carb days, which I guess is a good sign but I am still a little uncertain as to if my glycogen stores are indeed full during these low carb days. I might give the dextrose a try!

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Good point about the dextrose! I have wondered if the carbs from breakfast and then my pre workout meal (1 hour prior to workout) will fill up my glycogen stores enough to fuel my workout. I think me having a refeed day (high carb) the day before my low carb day help with my glycogen stores. I don't suffer from lost of energy on these low carb days, which I guess is a good sign but I am still a little uncertain as to if my glycogen stores are indeed full during these low carb days. I might give the dextrose a try!
    It may also depend on what you do during th day before your workout as too whether or not glycogen stores are replenished... Also, if you are at your farthest point from a refeed day, you are probably more likely not to replenshish glycogen stores as well... If you feel you need more carbs, then I'd say go for it, but like you said, you don't suffer from a loss of energy on low carb days, so you're probably alright

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    I eat a banana and 1 scoop of whey (20g) 5 mins before I hit the weights. Is that ok?

Thread Information