Scooby is offline Junior Member

How Much Salt with Keto Diets?!

I'm kinda curious if alot of salt will screw up your keto diet? how much is a good amount? thanx...

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    how much salt? what do you wanna eat on keto diet with so much salt? salt is not really good for you, so I try to take in as little as possible, knowing where you live, there is no lo salt or lo sodium salt available so the only one you can get is normal salt, I would avoid it but thats just me

peace

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    I guess it depends how much salt? When I keto I don't go out of my wayto salt things, but i do sometimes enjoy lightly salted peanuts, or my egg seasonings tend to be salty (hot sauce and the like). Cheese also has a lot of salt in it (although it depends on the type). I would say that just make sure you're getting enough potassium to balance out the salt.

FmRommel is offline Member
    I heard salt is not a big deal...esp since you are losing so much water weight anyway cause of the low carbs....I wouldnt over-do it, but a little is good....

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    When fallowing a Keto diet you can injest as much sodium as you like, because of the lack of carbs in the diet a lot of fluid get released from the body, and the added sodium will not increase water retention. However as The Original Jason said it's not that healthy to consume high quantity of salt, but some is needed for different body functions. SO as said above i wouldn't go out of my way to salt anything...XXL

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Not enough salt can also be a problem when on low carb (I am not sure about Keto). Remember, salt is an electrolite so without it your body may have problems remaining hydrated. How much is too much you ask. I am not sure.

The AMA used to reccomend a low sodium diet, but backed off thier posion two or three years ago. Thier initial proclimation was that it lead to high blood pressure. After conducting additional research they discovered that it causes short term spikes in blood pressure, and has no long term effects. So now they only reccomend low sodium for people with heart desease.

Thread Information