Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keto diet

Lex Luthor is offline New Member

Lightbulb keto diet

I started out at a unhelathy 286 lbs. I started dieting and working out, and got down to a good 184, but now im at a plateau. So techinally i went from completely bad, to decent, but im not where i want to be yet, Anyways, I recenlty (as in 3 days ago) started out on this no carbs diet. Im not really sure what im doing so i would appreciate any advice possible. I cut my food down to strickly hard boiled egg whites, lean grilled chiken breast, turkey breast and tuna,with the exception of this moring when i gave in to a banana. Can someone explain the weekend carb up thing. Is it necessary? Will I feel an particular chages when i go into ketosis? Any other foods that you recomend? Thanks

beenie is offline Senior Member
    The bananna is completely killing any benefits. Each banna has 30grams of carb. If you want to be carb free, you should be looking at getting it under 30grams a week, not a day, so if you have the need for a swwet, I would recommend sugar free jello instead.

In a no carb diet there can be no "carb-up" day, and if you fail to ditch the bananna, you will probably not go into ketosis-- at least not soon. Also watch out for hidden carbs (milk in your coffee, ketchup, manu processed meats have lots of sugar added, etc.)

i did not know that, thanks for the help bro... anyone else have any suggestions?

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    up your fat intake to be over 50% of your calories, so work out your maintenance and then i would go with 60% fat 40% protein no carbs at all sun-fri 6pm then carb up, 600g fri night, then 800g saturday including protein and small amount of fat of course. Also it is not a eat all you want fest lol make sure its good carbs and complex.

peace

now i have conflicting opinions, should i carb up on weekends or not?

each to their own, I would, but im not saying the other way is wrong just try it and see

peace

nuke is offline Member
    I would say carb up.....If youre lifting and doing cardio as stated. The carb up point throws your system into burning more calories, after thriving on no carbs all week.

I dont go as high as 600g , not thats thats bad ( That is how ckd is done !!)

I just stay around 150-200 per day....Trust me after eating no carbs all week, any carb intake will leave you feeling VERY full.... Its all up to your body, tweek it from week to week and check out the results ...

PM me if you have any questions bro .

Wow, I have no idea what this thread is about now. Lex's origional post was asking about a "no-carb diet" Now we are talking about CDK, diets, keto diets, and various alternative diets. If I were new to this I would be very confused by the information that is here.

Lex? What Information are you looking for/ Do you want information on a GOOD diet? Do you want to Learn about a NO-CARB diet? Do you want to Learn about a KETO DIET? Do you want info on a CDK DIET? Do you want comparitive information about VARIOUS DIETS.

In my post I was adressesing your SPECIFC query, but now I am very confused about what you are trying to learn. Will you please clarify.

nuke is offline Member
    Beenie...LOL Youre right bro, thanks for taking the reins on this ! LOL !

Lex - What do you want to know about ?

im ttying to learn more about no-carb and keto..anyone..?

FinaFiend is offline New Member
    How do you know if your body has gone into ketosis?

Originally posted by FinaFiend
    How do you know if your body has gone into ketosis?
    The best way is to go to your pharmacy and buy ketostrips. They sell for $5-10 for about 100. You urinate on them and they change colors. The color they change to indicates whether you are in ketosis or not and if so the level you are in.

Other signs are bad breath, and stinky urine. Sorry to be graphic, but you asked. The other thing that happens to most is that you will initially lose weight very fast, because the body loses its abilityto retain water. Thats why a lot of guys that are REALLY cut maintain low carb diets, because without water retention definition looks much cleaner. When I first started low carbing I lost 10 lbs in the first week. Almost notheing in teh first 3 days but days 4-7: wow!

Another ting you have to remember when low carbing is to drink a lot of water, for exactly the reasons I cited.

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    im ttying to learn more about no-carb and keto..anyone..?
    I did an almost n-carb diet for about 3 years. It was very successful an staying lean. Fir the past few months I have switched to a low carb diet and my weoight keeps slipping up, and It not all muscle unfortunately.

No carb foods include any fresh meat, most fish, chicken, pork.
    Low carbs are eggs, and cheese, and a few specific vegitables.

To do either you cannot really eat fruit, because the sugar content is too high, no kethup, no bread, no pasta.

For beverages, coffee and tea are okay, a can of diet coke, is low carb as is diet Pepsi.

For desert, sugar free Jello is low carb.

In summary, it takes a great deal of will power, but there is no limit to
    the amount you can eat, and you will still lose weight (on a 0 carb diet).

The Keto diet is very different anf there are several other members here that have more experience with this sort of diet than I. The basic premise is to do low carb some of the time and then eat cabs on certain days. The theory is that the carbs help retain muscles somhow, but I have forgoten the specifics.
    Last edited by beenie; 11-12-2002 at 08:12 AM.

thanks for the help

FinaFiend is offline New Member
    Thanks for the help beenie

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    soo beene what u are sying is i can eat as much fat and protein as i want and i will actually loose weight?....i can even eat like 8000 cals worth of protein and fat and still loose weight?

Originally posted by xzoomzx
    soo beene what u are sying is i can eat as much fat and protein as i want and i will actually loose weight?....i can even eat like 8000 cals worth of protein and fat and still loose weight?
    For all intents and purposes, yes, that is what I am saying. If you take in no carbs, you can have a very high protien and even fat intake and still lose weight. It has to do with what happens to the calories once you have ingested them. Excess carbs are converrted to fat. Protieins and fats are not converted in the same way.

but high fats from things like bacon are not required in order for it to work..right?

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    but high fats from things like bacon are not required in order for it to work..right?
    Exactly. What I am about to say is based on my experience:

-When carbs are removed from your diet, body fat%, decreases.

-When fat is lowered in addittion to an absence of carbs it comes off very quickly.

When I cut I reduce (or eliminate) carbs. After I reach my target I control fat intake to regulate my weight. So if my weight is dropping too quickly I can add fat and it will slow the rate of decline.

I once tried a very low fat no carb diet and my weight dropped WAY too fast. My change was based on a comment by someone on this board that must not have understood low carbs, who had told me that there was way too much fat in my diet. So, I essentially eliminated bacon and egg yolks and other high fat items. As I say, my weight dropped VERY fast and I got very scared. I lost fat and muscle (about 10 lbs worth in a week and I was already pretty lean to begin with). People were running up to me trying to give me milk shakes and telling me I looked ematiated. The point is you can uses the amount of fat you eat to control the rate of weight loss- at least I can.

finally someone with a good answer..thanks man.. i was being told to up my fat intake, like eat bacon and greasy sausage, but i was worried about heart problems, thanks again.

upping fat intake is what is recommended for keto diet, which is what your post was called to start with right?

So on a keto diet, I am currently eating 70% of my cals from fat and 30% from protein, my weight is dropping I am not losing muscle, you may be supprised.

I suggest that u do a little searching on the net on ckd, tkd to see and understand what i am talkin about, this is basically where your body will run on ketones not glucose, that is why ur body fat drop this diet is also muscle sparing personally i beleive i diet restricted in carbs and then restricting the fat doesnt allow the body to go into ketosis ( at over a certain amount of carbs) that way the body (fact) easier turns protein into glucose to be used as energy, this is what none of bigger guys want as we have spent so long and so much hard work growing.

just my thoughts
    peace

even if i do have to up the fat intake, can i get it from other sources..which types of fats?

i would say over half from good fats, mayo is a great source for this diet, 0 carb mayo that is, i use olive oil, mayo, u can use flaxseed oil too, many sources of fat about whole eggs are good.

peace

nuke is offline Member
    Jason- Great additions...CKD and TKD are in my opinion some of the FASTEST ways to drop BF while retaining a solid amount if not 95% of your muscle....

beenie there i no way i can retain any water either?.,.....if i alot of salt will i retain any water?...( im not gonna add any salt but meats,cheeses,eggs,beef jerk,and carb free spices are all full of sodium .will i retain any water?......pleasse help

i think the 8000 cals post is ridiculous of course u will get fat, where is the intake of fat going to ?

bump will i ?

byggern is offline New Member
    This is wrong !

Kcal in kcal out is important even if you are doing a keto diet.

If you use ketones for fuel and eat too much there will be to much "fuel" and the body will not reduce adipo fat .. NOPE the body will increase the fat stores.

Buckyo7 is offline Junior Member
    what really helped me out while on keto was taking Alpha Lipolic Acid it will let you remain in ketosis while taking in carbs (10mg per 1g of carbs)
    so taking 4g of ALA a day i was able to take in @ 50g of carbs and still remain in a deep state of ketosis but nuthin is better than willpower!

Buck

nuke is offline Member
    4g of ALA. No I take 1000g per meal..
    www.anabolical.com

beenie there i no way i can retain any water either?.,.....if i alot of salt will i retain any water?...( im not gonna add any salt but meats,cheeses,eggs,beef jerk,and carb free spices are all full of sodium .will i retain any water?......pleasse help
    beef has very little if any sodium unless you add it, same with fresh fish , and chiken.

Beef Jerk has sodukl and carbs too- stay away, except as a treat.. Almost all spices are carb free or VERY low.

hey beenie i am 5 foot 6 and around 185 here is my pic ..i did a very strict no carb diet to get where i am and wheneva i eat carbs i blow up 10 15 pounds and look puffy as hell......so i plan to loose as much body fat as i can ..here is the diet i plan to do to be ripped to shredz for summer.
    6 am -2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    6:45-3 eggs,3 cla pills
    12pm-2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    1- workout
    2:15-2 scoops zero carb protein powder
    3:15-6 ounces of tuna or beef,3 cla
    5:00-2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    5:45-6 ounces chicken, or beef 3 cla

does this look like a good diet beenie?......i am taking 9 grams of cla and i am also gonna supplement with a mag/potassium pill but i dunno when and how uch to take of it can you help please?.....

hey beenie i am 5 foot 6 and around 185 here is my pic ..i did a very strict no carb diet to get where i am and wheneva i eat carbs i blow up 10 15 pounds and look puffy as hell......so i plan to loose as much body fat as i can ..here is the diet i plan to do to be ripped to shredz for summer.
    6 am -2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    6:45-3 eggs,3 cla pills
    12pm-2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    1- workout
    2:15-2 scoops zero carb protein powder
    3:15-6 ounces of tuna or beef,3 cla
    5:00-2 ephedrine hcl,200 mg pure caffeine,200 mg asprin,2 xenadrine efx pills
    5:45-6 ounces chicken, or beef 3 cla

does this look like a good diet beenie?......i am taking 9 grams of cla and i am also gonna supplement with a mag/potassium pill but i dunno when and how uch to take of it can you help please?.....
    The basic plan looks awesome to me, but I would up the amount of food or you are going to be famished. 3 eggs, 6 oz of tuna and 6 oz of beef would leave me tired, hungry and weak. Also, I suspect you will need more protien so that you dont lose muscle. The general idea you have seems really well thought out. The CLA and ECA stack will help as will cardio, which will further speed up your metabolism.

Make sure you also add a high potency multi vitimin. In addition you were asking about electrolites. I started out with 500mg of magnesium 1000 mg calcium and 50 mg of zinc a day. I was later able to drop the calcium to 500 mg/day without ill effects. This in addition to sodium, because I have problems retaining water when I bring the carbs close to 0. The calcium helps me, but you don't want to talke too much because you can OD on calcium unlike some other nutriuents that you just expell the excess.

Also you will notice that the 0 carb diet has no fibre. If you are not used to it you may want to buy a laxitive. Otherwise expect it to be a couple weeks betwwen bm's. (sorry to be graphic guys but someone had to tell him).

nuke is offline Member
    Originally posted by beenie

The basic plan looks awesome to me, but I would up the amount of food or you are going to be famished. 3 eggs, 6 oz of tuna and 6 oz of beef would leave me tired, hungry and weak. Also, I suspect you will need more protien so that you dont lose muscle. The general idea you have seems really well thought out. The CLA and ECA stack will help as will cardio, which will further speed up your metabolism.

Make sure you also add a high potency multi vitimin. In addition you were asking about electrolites. I started out with 500mg of magnesium 1000 mg calcium and 50 mg of zinc a day. I was later able to drop the calcium to 500 mg/day without ill effects. This in addition to sodium, because I have problems retaining water when I bring the carbs close to 0. The calcium helps me, but you don't want to talke too much because you can OD on calcium unlike some other nutriuents that you just expell the excess.

Also you will notice that the 0 carb diet has no fibre. If you are not used to it you may want to buy a laxitive. Otherwise expect it to be a couple weeks betwwen bm's. (sorry to be graphic guys but someone had to tell him).
    AGREED, Thats why I buy Psyllium Husks...Awesome just throw a teaspoon or two in your shake and...
    Well its all good after that.

td32 is offline Junior Member
    I am interested in the keto diet. Could someone please explain to me what the point of carbing up is during the diet, the why's and the how's. And as bad as this question sounds, I am curious if beer can be consumed during the carbing up phase.

well folks, i appreciate the help and replies, i been on this no carb thing for three weeks and i am definateley a believer now. Because I liveo n campus and on a meal plan, my no carb thing will have to wait untill i tranfer back home.. Around December I will be back on it completely. Thanks beenie and everyone else for the help. I started out not know anything about it but you people taught me the way.. thanks

I remember the days of eating at the Sudent Union. Vegitable cooked beyond recognition lots of pasta and mashed potatoes as I recall.

I wish you all the luck in the world in attaining your goals.

Alright, after thankgiving im back to it.. Im trying to determine wehtere I should go Zero Carb or low carb. My idea is something like egg whites and some type of carb in the morning after my cardio(run). Then cut out carbs all day except for dextrose right after my workout.preety much tuna,chicken breast, and lean turkey through out the day.. any suggestions, I a little worried about the keto because I hear it has really bad effects on you.. Ill appreciate any feedback.. If you have any ways I can change my plan let me know.. Its not set in stone yet, im still planning, I want to do it right. also, can anyone let me know about protien shakes and when i should take them... Thanks

you could try tkd using the dextrose post workout, but there would be no morning carbs for that one, you would also need keto stix to see what state if any of ketosis you are in after post/pre workout carbs. Personally for me low carb dont work at all like keto diets, nothing to compare, keto diet is working low carbs dont, even at 80g per day, I will hold weight
    peace

thanks man... i heard that the post workout carb thing is very important.. but if its not, i can defiantley lose it and go keto..im almost a pro at it now.. anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information