TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

is eating raw eggs safe?

is eating raw eggs ok? i thought i heard of getting salmonella or something from uncooked eggs but i hear of alot of people doing it

Real fresh eggs, it's relatively safe. There is the salmonella risk but it's minimal.

Supermarket eggs on the other hand are really risky. Nobody really knows how old they are (never trust the expiration dates, trust me on that), where they,ve been and all.

Red

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    what u mean by real fresh? like an hour after they get laid or something? should i go out and by some chickens to be safe?

bumdart420 is offline Associate Member
    The trick to avoiding getting sick from eggs is a simple one. Check to make sure none of your eggs have any cracks in them BEFORE YOU CRACK THEM. I eat well over 100 raw eggs a week and have only gotten sick once in two years cause I missed one.

P.S. Eating that many eggs will make your ass a toxic danger zone but personally I love killing people with my stink! lol

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    When I was making my own protein shakes I used to mix in raw eggs until I got sick a couple of times....I see it as just another chance we take in this game. But then I started boiling my eggs before hand and then blended them into my homemade shakes. Couldn't tell the difference in texture or taste. So at least it's another option for ya.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    Khull....why do you want to consume raw eggs in the first place? If you are looking to get and extra protein boost...you can add powdered egg to your shakes or like Big Texan says boil then first. IMO that is a lot of work for 4 grams of protein.

FmRommel is offline Member
    If I ever fell the need to drink 'em raw...I just buy a carton of the egg whites(egg beaters)....no risk

theSingularity is offline New Member

Final answer please

Can we get a final decision on whether you should eat raw egg whites in your protein shake. I am not worried about the salmonella factor as much as the bio availability of it. Read in many threads on many boards saying that it is not bioavailable until cooked, and only after being cooked does it break down avidin, which blocks biotin (has "critical functions in amino acid metabolism and the production of energy from many sources")

Also, we know egg beaters (whites) come pasteurized but does that mean they are cooked hot enough to break down the avidin as well.

It'd be nice if we could finally put this to rest.

blondie is offline Female Member
    Hello,I hope this helps. If you have a grocery store in your town that carry davidson eggs they are pasturized and are safe raw I use them alot and they are in the same place as the other eggs. hope this helps.

systemx is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Rich8888
    Khull....why do you want to consume raw eggs in the first place? If you are looking to get and extra <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> boost...you can add powdered egg to your shakes or like Big Texan says boil then first. IMO that is a lot of work for 4 grams of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>.
    yeah really, what is the advantage to that. If your too lazy to get out a pan to cook or boil them you can do what I do 90% of the time and microwave them for some yummy scrambled eggs.

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by Rich8888
    IMO that is a lot of work for 4 grams of protein.
    6 grams per egg

--dnb

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    ima add my 02. here. Eating raw eggs safe? NO! but only because there is a small risk. I have been blending raw eggs into my shakes for the past 3 months, i eat about 18-24 eggwhites a day only about $2.00 for 2 dozen eggs=4servings a day. about 21 grms fo protein for 6 whites, (i think) not sure about the calories. Anyway my point is i have had no problem as far is being sick goes (maybe it's because of my secret recipe haha), but that is not to say i won't. $10 dollar gives me about 40 servings. Im not sure which is better when it comes on the economic standpoint between eggs and powder, but buying eggs is easer for me because im always at the Grocery store

I say go for it, but it's really up to you. hmm maybe i should disclaimer on this.

_____I do not advise doing any of the above.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Pasteurized eggs are the only ones you should eat raw. This is indicated on the cartons... if they are or not.

Eating anything raw is better than cooked when you are wndering about bio availability and nutrients. And over cooking is very damaging.

I tried raw pasturized eggs in high school, when they first started making pasturized eggs. Did it ever tast like shit. I would recommend adding to a protein shake for sure.

But with today's Whey protein, there really is no need to do it. A scoop of Whey has a higher BV than raw egg.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldnt recommend it, First hand experiance put me in the hospital. Hey raw eggs are easy to eat in a college dorm room. arg. But the food in a public college hospital is so much worse...

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I'll eat em raw just because i'm too lazy to cook em and then clean up the pan and stuff. I think i've heard as long as it refrigerated there's only like a 1 in 10,000 chance of it having salamanella. I'd go with the advice up there with looking for cracks too.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I used to do the raw egg trick, but I unfotanetly ate a couple bad ones and got sicker than a dog for about a week. Beleive me, I wouldn't wish that experience on my enemies.

Thread Information