leafsman38 is offline New Member

Bulking diet, pls critique

Alright here's my bulking diet. I'm 162 and 5'11 right now and I want to get up to a stable 175 by September without it being 50% fat like my bulking diets usually are.

Bulking Diet

Lifting Days
    8:00am – 2 whole eggs & 3 whites, 1 tble spoon flax
    10:30am - 1 1/2 can of tuna, 1 handfull cashews
    12:30pm - 2 hamburgers w/bun, 1 cup veggies
    2:30pm - 1 1/2 can of tuna, 1 handfull cashews
    5:30pm - 2 chicken breasts, 1 tble spoon flax
    *6:30pm -Workout- DC method (mon, wed, fri)
    PWO Shake -15-20min after workout - 80 grams dextrose, 1 1/2 scoop protein
    PWO Meal - 45min-1hour after shake - 1 chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, 1 orange
    9:30pm - 2 scoops protein, 1 tble spoon flax

AM Cardio Days and Rest Days
    *6:30am -45 min Low Impact Cardio-
    8:00am – 2 scoops protein, 1 tble spoon flax
    7:30pm - 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 orange or banana

If you're wondering about the hamburgers I get them for free plus I can't afford to be spending too much on food right now. They're a source of protein so might as well use em when I'm not cutting. I'll sometimes use pork chops in place of them too.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    CAPS...

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman38
    Alright here's my bulking diet. I'm 162 and 5'11 right now and I want to get up to a stable 175 by September without it being 50% fat like my bulking diets usually are.

Bulking Diet

Lifting Days

MAKE THIS A PRO/CARB MEAL.... 1 CUP OF OATMEAL W/ 8 WHITES & A SINGLE SCOOP OF WHEY IN WATER

FINE

DON'T MIX FATS W/ CARBS.... MOST HAMBURGERS HAVE A LOT OF FAT IN THEM. I WOULD USE ANOTHER KIND OF LEAN PROTEIN OR DITCH THE CARBS HERE AND JUST USE THE HAMBURGER MEAT

FINE

FINE.... MAYBE A TBLSPN & 1/2 OF FLAX SINCE YOU ARE HAVING AN ASS LOAD OF PROTEIN IN THIS MEAL

BOTH LOOK GOOD

GOOD

AM Cardio Days and Rest Days
    *6:30am -45 min Low Impact Cardio-

MIGHT WANT TO LOWER THIS TO 30 MINUTES.... PERSONAL PREFERENCE.... SEE IF YOU CAN STILL DO CARDIO THAT LONG AND GAIN. PERSONALLY I KNOW I CAN'T

8:00am – 2 scoops protein, 1 tble spoon flax

GOOD..... YOU SHOULD TRY AND USE SOME WHITES HERE FOR A SOLID PROTEIN AS WELL. JMO THOUGH

GOOD

SAME AS ABOVE.... ONE OR THE OTHER

GOOD

GOOD.... SAME AS ABOVE

7:30pm - 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 orange or banana

FINE.... MAKE SURE IT IS FAT FREE OR LOW FAT COTTAGE CHEESE IF USING CARBS IN THIS MEAL.

GOOD

If you're wondering about the hamburgers I get them for free plus I can't afford to be spending too much on food right now. They're a source of protein so might as well use em when I'm not cutting. I'll sometimes use pork chops in place of them too.

If you can't afford other types of meat besides hamburgers..... then hamburgers it is. Just make use with what ya got. But I think chicken breast by the bag at costo aren't too pricey.... buy food in bulk. It is much cheaper. I like chicken breasts and lean cuts of steak best..... tuna & lean ground beef are good sources also. Have fun w/ it and good luck. Hope I helped a little.

<<LMO>>

Austex is offline Member
    Definately don't have enough carbs in your referenced diet to bulk. LMO gave you some good advice, try following it for 2 weeks and come back here to give us an update. The only thing I would change from his diet would be the carb intake on training days between 230 and 530. You have these both as protein/fat meals. I personally would make 230 a pro/fat meal because you already got carbs at lunch, and then make the 530 meal a protein/complex carb meal for pre-workout energy.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I disagree with LMO on a couple things:

Lifting Days

MAKE THIS A PRO/CARB MEAL.... 1 CUP OF OATMEAL W/ 8 WHITES & A SINGLE SCOOP OF WHEY IN WATER

I would recommend NOT eating the whites raw.

BOTH LOOK GOOD

PWO shake looks pretty good, maybe a 50/50 mixture of maltodextrin/dextrose would be better.
    PWO meal I'd drop the orange and use a different source of carbs such as brown rice or a yam

Good luck on your bulking!

Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs
    I disagree with LMO on a couple things:

Lifting Days

I would recommend NOT eating the whites raw.

BOTH LOOK GOOD

PWO shake looks pretty good, maybe a 50/50 mixture of maltodextrin/dextrose would be better.
    PWO meal I'd drop the orange and use a different source of carbs such as brown rice or a yam

Good luck on your bulking!

Who said anything about whites being raw??? He can use fruit for his PPWO, I would typically use brown rice or yams myself as well but an orange won't kill him. It is still a low GI carbohydrate, although you are right he should really use a starch...but as he said he is on a low budget, maybe fruit is cheaper where he is then buying yams / rice?? I don't think there is anything wrong w/ using straight dextrose as well for his PWO Shake. But if he has access to both sugars or wishes to buy both then I guess it would be better.

<<LMO>>
    Last edited by LeanMeOut; 06-01-2004 at 10:18 AM.

yeah thanks LMO that helped alot acutally. What do you think of pasta as a carb source? should I add some more carbs to my pro/carb meals too like Austex mentioned? Carbs are cheap to me it doesnt matter how much of that I use, its the protein that kills my wallet

yeah thanks LMO that helped alot acutally. What do you think of pasta as a carb source? should I add some more carbs to my pro/carb meals too like Austex mentioned? Carbs are cheap to me it doesnt matter how much of that I use, its the protein that kills my wallet

No problem.... I would rather see you use Whole Wheat Pasta, Brown Rice, or Yams as a PPWO carb than an orange. Even oatmeal..... those are all better choices than an orange IMO.

<<LMO>>

how much protein should you take in during a bulking diet? I figured this to be just over 2x's bodyweight on training days and around 1.5x on cardio days. Should that be enough?

Austex is offline Member
    how much protein should you take in during a bulking diet? I figured this to be just over 2x's bodyweight on training days and around 1.5x on cardio days. Should that be enough?
    How much pro/fat/carbs are you taking in currently per day?

Austex is offline Member
    Oops...I mean how old are you?

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Oranges consist mainly of fructose, which restores liver glycogen at a time where muscle glycogen must be restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    Oops...I mean how old are you?
    I'm 20

Quote Originally Posted by fritz2435
    Oranges consist mainly of fructose, which restores liver glycogen at a time where muscle glycogen must be restored.

The oranage was in his PPWO meal.... not PWO. He is restoring muscle glycogen w/ Dextrose from his PWO Shake.

<<LMO>>

Thread Information