cblax2000 is offline New Member

Fat cell question?

My Biology teacher in college told me that adipose tissue (fat cells?) can only be shrunk and that it can never be burned off once it is created. Does anybody have the skinney on this subject since I am optimistic because my bio teacher is fat ass who has never worked out a day in her life. Thanks for the help

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I would like to hear the answer to this too

BUMP!!!!!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    That is true. Fat cells expand or shrink. The only way to remove would be through lipo-suction. If you've ever seen someone whos had a tummy tuck and then they start gaining again, it gets all lumpy looking because those cells have been removed.

cblax2000 is offline New Member
    This seems a little discouraging.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by cblax2000
    This seems a little discouraging.
    Why? If you loose weight the cells shrink, if you start gaining again then thaey expand.

If the did in fact burn off when loosing weight(which they don't) then if you gained again that would mean the creation of new cells.

Either way your either loosing weight or gaining it.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    now, a note needs to be made. fat cells can be created, but not destroyed. fat cells generally expand or shrink like pheedno says, but at a certain size, they create new cells rather than expand. makes since when you think of it. if you go from 5 lbs of fat to 200 lbs of fat that would mean a cell gaining ~40X volume. as cell walls are fluid structures (structural stability is attained by replulsive hydrophobic interactions of the lipid bilayer). they would not be able to cope and would be destroyed. so new cells are created. when you lose weight however, they don't go away, they shrink until they are depleted and then just do nothing.

this is why once you get to a certain fat content it is much easier to get back to that amount, as the body likes the fat cells to have a certain amount of stored energy.

of course much more goes into this discussion, but this is the simple view.

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    for a tummy tuck its not about removing fat cells, its about skin, I think if you are talkin about lipo then maybe, but i had a tummy tuck and still managed to get the nice smooth round fat look afterwards with no lumps lol

peace

Dieseldaddy is offline New Member
    Thats 100% right ........... Fat cells only shrunk. Once they expand to a certain size & when they can't grow anymore they multiply. But once they multiply ,the new formed fat cells are there to stay!! Now they can only shrunk too... The only way to get rid of fat cells ,is LIPPO!!

ALL OF THIS IS FACT!

Thread Information