xenithon is offline Member

Having a meal after workout (no shake)

Hi all,

I am on holiday now and protein powder and other supps are hard to come by, so I have to try work my way around the diet. I am currently sticking to my diet which has been working for me to maintain muscle mass whilst cutting body fat slowly but surely.

The diet is a low-moderate carb, high protein, moderate fat diet, which is about 100-150g carbs, 200-250g protein, 50-60g healthy fats. I always have a bowl of oats in the morning to give me energy for the day, and carbs postworkout (high GI in my shake and low GI eg. oats in the meal an hour later), the rest of the day is fibrous veges + salad.

My question is now that I cannot really make a shake, is it okay to have a real meal right after the workout, to replace the shake and a meal an hour later. The meal consists of protein, such as chicken or tuna or salmon, and a mixture of high and low GI carbs, such as a bowl of oats with two spoons of honey or some dextrose/malto powder. Then I just continue the eating plan like normal. In other words, not having the shake, and having the meal right away.

Night time I can always substitute a protein shake with some meat or cottage and flax oil, its just postworkout which I need some help with

Thanks All!

Striking_Cobra is offline New Member
    I would suggest eggs or fish as your choice of protein source. You want something that will absorb quickly. You'll definitely want some starchy carbs postworkout too , rice would be a good example.

xenithon is offline Member
    bump

calidude is offline Senior Member
    can you not order the supplements online to have them mailed to you?? like Cobra said you want something to eat that will absorb really fast. That half an hour right after you train is the most crucial for protein absorbtion.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Like Striking_Cobra said. Something that will absorb quickly and cause an insulin spike to offset cortisol. Needs to be nearly no fat and high in carbs with protein. The only thing I can think of that would fit the bill would be a couple glasses of Skim Milk right after...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

skim milk........

is very low on the GI scale, so wouldn't work well at all............not bashing what you said bro, but it's just the truth.

Order some supps......in the meantime eat whatever, but unless it's a liquid pwo shake, nothing will get in your bloodstream fast enough during that window of opportunity everyone speaks of........at least not all of it, maybe only 20%...........

~SC~

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Too right Swole Cat... but with it being Skim Milk (no fat) hopefully it can absorb faster. I honestly can't think of a postworkout drink that can be bought at the grocery store...

I think I remember hearing a mixture using Condensed Milk mixed with a higher GI carb... but shit, condensed milk and a fruit juice doesn't sound right... I can't remember what it was...

Thread Information