powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member

Question about dieting from experinced people needed???

I have been dieting for 7 weeks now. I started at 16.5% bf at 248lbs pretty water bloated too! Anyhow after like 4 or so weeks i dropped to 239lbs and was 15% Bf and lost alot of water bloat in my face and other parts. Well now i am 231lbs and am high 12% BF range and have lost a bit more then when at 239lbs. But i feel like i should be even less. Or should I? I know you wanna lose it kinda slow, but i knwo guys that go around 12 to 15% bf in the off season and need 12 to 16 weeks to get ready for a show. If that were the case for me i would have only 5 to 8 weeks left.

Now i am not in precontest mode. My shows are not until spring. But this is the first time for me doing a BB show. So i am experiminting with diet to see what works. I lost the most weight the first two weeks and from what i understand thats normal. I cannot get below 230lbs. I have been low 230's for 3 weeks now. I have been told "dont look at the scale"! Well i am not except once aweek. I said i am not precontest dieting but maybe i am? I mean according to everyone i speak with my carbs are too low. Or at least lower then theirs. I am nto a small person naturally, so i maintian my old 245lbs with less then 3000 calories a day. BUt here is a run down after 7 weeks of dieting that i think seems to work for me

Now my daily diet is different , structered , and calculated to the very last gram. MOnday i eat 365g protein, and 225g of carbs, fat 40g or so.
    By Sat i am at 415g proteinl and 50g carbs. Fat same. I drop 25g a day of carbs through the week. Sunday i carb up. A typical mid week, day low carbs but not lowest looks like this:

730 meal 1 After cardio and calves and abs (workout on empty stomach) Protein drink 22g p

meal 2 8:45 2 chicken breasts (8oz) 35g p
    3 eggwhites, 1 whole 17g p
    1/4 c grits 30g c

meal 3 11am 7 oz eye o round 45g p
    1/2 c rice 36g c

meal 4 1:30 can tuna 33g p
    7 triskets 21g c
    protein drink 22g p

preworkout 3:30 protein drink 22g protein
    oatmeal 26g carbs

postworkout protein drink 66g p
    mixed with powerade 40gc

meal 5 730 pm 9oz fish 45g p
    protein drink 22g p

meal 6 can tuna 33g p
    protein drink 22g p

Total day was 385g p, 153g carbs, fat around 40g.

Anyway this a mid week day add carbs for the beggining, and drop some for the end. I am pretty far out so i am not in an emergency mode! But the one thing that has me the slightest bit nervous is getting down to where i need to be. And of course i do not have a clue of what that will be. I was thinking betweem 210 and 198. I dont care really as long as i am shredded!!

For those that dont knwo me hearing me say this isnt normal. I am into size and strength!! I have several state and National bench titles and am sidelined with an injury so that is why i am trying this. My stats are
    28yrs old male
    height 5'9 inches
    weight 231lbs
    Bf high 12%
    arms 19" cold
    chest 51
    legs was 30 now mid 29's"!!
    waist measure with tape at 35inches
    calves 18 inches

Progress is good, great actually! I can see all my abs and obliques. Just have pocket in the lower area, and sides. Barely any fat below waist. My legs have splits and striations. I also noticed from a video that i need to lose it in my side chest. Anyway sorry for the long book but i wanna get feedback from ya'll who have done some serious dieting.

One more thing i do cardio, abs, n calves MON, WED, Fri, in the morning. I hit the weights MON Tues, Thurs, Fri in late afternoon. Cardio is about 30 minutes long. Thanks!

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Your Carbs are too high !

If your stuck at 230 lbs drop your overall calories by about 500 calories for 2 weeks and see if that gets past the hump !!!!

Good Luck

Markymark

PM me if you wish !!

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    Instead of reducing carbohydrate intake systematically replace carbs for lower GI levels.

I dont think i can lower much more. If i dropped 500 calories a day i would be eating nothing. I have dropped my carbs this week. I havent gone over 200 at all, in fact been 150 or less all week now. Also last two days dropped the protein down too. Still over 300 but below 365. I will weigh in tomorrow and i know i will be below 230lbs.

I have also increased my intensity on cardio. Thanks for the replies

MarkyMark is offline Member
    well it sounds like you worked it out...

Remember sometimes we need to shock the body! Changing this around for a 2 week blitz will not kill your program.. it will enhance it... Unless your just weeks out of a show ! then watch your program very closely.
    Well, by dropping your carbs a bit and picking up the cardio I bet you made it under 230 after all !!!

Good Luck

Markymark

Well i weighed last night and was pleasantly surprised to come in at 229lbs!! Thats right broke the 230lb barrier. I knwo lots of progress was being made but seeing that scale drop to that low is great. Still in the 12% BF range but look forward to hitting the 220 mark and will be interested to see what BF is at the weight. Last week i did this:

Mon 365p, 190c, 30gf
    Tues 350p, 150c, 30f
    Wed 345, 144c, 45f
    Thurs 350p, 135c, 50f
    Fri 350p, 125c, 40f
    Today will be 350p, 50c, 50f
    Sun will be 250p, 500c, fat unknown but not too much!! BUt by doing my carbs this way instead of like above, i decreased my weekly carbs by 105g which is 420 less calories then normal. I will do this again next week. Any ideas??

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    good luck bro sounds like you have some similar problems to me when dieting, I really am stuck around 220-230 at for the last few months, but i tried keto diet which really made a difference i got down to 208 before xmas, which was really a good lift for me, but 4 weeks off some slack ass eating and time with family really didnt help me, back at 215 now, i dont know what u think about keto but it was my first time and what i found was this, my bench held out, i didnt lose strength, i didnt feel fucked apart from the first week, where i was craving and lack of energy, but after that first week the cravings went and i went through my usually routines, which is 40 mins am cardio 5 days a week and weights 3 x a week in the afternoons. I did use 20mg var per day and some proviron to make sure the water was gone.

Reason I said I was like you, I can eat virtually next to nothing and not lose any weight sometimes especially if I use low or any carbs. Never did work out why! Anyway good luck with the contests

peace

Thanks Jason. Not to sound dumb but i dont know what keto is. Exactly. But i think things are going decent. You dont wanna drop too much too fast. At least i am told. BUt all i am losing is bad weight. I feel full and strong Friday night i did reps with 550 and 600 on squats. And that was my lowest carb day of the week atthat point.

I guess were the unlucky ones!! It woudl be nice to eat more and lose weight. I dont carry much bodyfat, i just am pretty solid at my weight and have maintained my size for a long time, and i think it just gets mature so its harder to lose. But when i am 255 to 260 which is a bulk up weight, not my normal walk around weight i can not eat for a minute, and lose weight. This solid weight takes skill to lose!! BUt my key is to not rush it.

Today is cheat day!! My favorite day of the week.

Thread Information