Thread: alcohol

td32 is offline Junior Member

Post alcohol

Her's the question. If you had to go out and get drunk, what is the best alcohol to drink in terms of not getting fat. I know none are good for you, but what is better beer or liquor-and if liquor what is the best to drink.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I have had about 6 glasses of vino tonight- kinda lit and off gear for about 6 weeks now. basically quit drinking for the last 5 months. I would say vino or hard liquor. Beer has too much xtra cals. If you do hard liq mix it with diet soda. cut the cals for sure. Or dont drink or drink in moderation.

I may feel like a dumbass after hearing the answer, but what is "vino"? Is it true that there is a lot of sugar in most liquors? If so, isnt that worse then the calories from beer? Just curious

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I would say go with liquor. Back in the day of drinking I would go with a vodka tonic (2 shots of Absolute vodka, tonic water). AAAaaaahhh those were the days.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I would guess that the effects of alcohol are probably a lot worse then saving a few calories, and it probably won't make a difference if its only a few calories if u're drinking alcohol anyways. If i'm going to drink, right before i hit the sack, i down about 2 Liters of water, possibly a protein shake, and a shit load of glutamine(maybe like 10g).

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Just another somebody that needs to ask questions that NON SERIOUS GUYS ask !!!

I would only suggest Red Wine ! It does have health benefits. Although getting drunk on anything is not healthy or good for your body ... I would also suggest you read up on what getting drunk does to your body. Its immediate effects as well as the post effects.. I am not just talking about disease ... Your training will suffer as well as your diet and your overall program....

I would also say a Lite beer would be far better than straight alcohol in a second ! Hard liquor is very hard on the stomach as well as your system. Alcohol actually burns through the stomach lining. Thats why you can feel a shot within a 30 seconds or so. A lite beer is mostly water which is good. The yeast works for you as well ...

Take everything in moderation !!! Hope your goals are not hindered by your desires to get drunk ! I would think your goals more seriously and ask yourself what are you really trying to accomplish !!!!

MM

Thanks dad

yellows2k is offline Member
    Originally posted by saboudian
    I would guess that the effects of alcohol are probably a lot worse then saving a few calories, and it probably won't make a difference if its only a few calories if u're drinking alcohol anyways. If i'm going to drink, right before i hit the sack, i down about 2 Liters of water, possibly a <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shake, and a shit load of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=GLUTAMINE" target="_blank">glutamine</a>(maybe like 10g).

True, the effects of alcohol are in my opinion worse than marijuana. Drink tons of water, get plenty of protein and glutamine.

OK guys, obviously alcohol is bad for you. I didnt go to the supplement board and ask how to supplement alcohol into my weight training program. Simple question, if you were to go out and get drunk, and you wanted to drink the alcohol that effected you least in terms of fat gain, what would it be. I dont need people telling me how bad it is for you, if i did the question would have been, "what are the negative side effects of alcohol". So if we can lets keep this simple

Well you probably drink either beer or hard liquor, my mistake and I apologize if you drink other types, but between those 2, hard liquor is worse for you. Stick with the beer.

thanks bro, just curious, because of the sugar in the liquor or why?

Well one shot of 80 proof vodka has about 100 calories. yes it does include insulin spikes. Both I'd say get the job, but the hard liquor just does it faster cuz theres more alcohol taken in at one time. So it creates more of an insulin spike. But after the alcohols in you, it pretty much does it job. Hope this helps.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

why......

anyone would want to go out and get drunk is news to me.

Don't start flamin' me and sayin' "thanks Dad" type shit, because getting drunk is far different than gettin' a slight buzz with some red wine, chicken breast and fibrous vegetables.

You're disrespect of MarkyMark shows that gettin' drunk is more serious to you than any kind of fitness.

~SC~XXL~2K3~
    "Swole in the Wall"
    @ GotFina.com
    Check it out!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Actually calories from alcohol are digested differently than carbs.

Beer has carbs from barly which cause immediate insulin spike when consumed along with the calories from alcohol.

Alcohol is coverted into ketones before being used as energy & alcohol itself cannot be used directly for energy. The body absorbes as much alcohol as it can into the blood stream and the remainder is whats converted and stored. The process is much slower than carb break down so drinking liquor with diet soda is better in terms of maintaining body weight because the body can only absorb so much liquor in an hour no matter if it's in the form of beer or wine or liquor, but beer has carbs to go along with it as liquor does not.
    Alcohol does not convert to sugar or carbs, but it is used as an indirect energy source of about 7cal per gram after it's been through the absorbtion process and turned to ketone bodies.

Bottom line, stick to liquor and diet soda if weight is a concern
    Last edited by Pheedno; 01-14-2003 at 11:34 AM.

Originally posted by Pheedno
    Actually calories from alcohol are digested differently than carbs.

Beer has carbs from barly which cause immediate insulin spike when consumed along with the calories from alcohol.

Alcohol is coverted into ketones before being used as energy & alcohol itself cannot be used directly for energy. The body absorbes as much alcohol as it can into the blood stream and the remainder is whats converted and stored. The process is much slower than carb break down so drinking liquor with diet soda is better in terms of maintaining body weight because the body can only absorb so much liquor in an hour no matter if it's in the form of beer or wine or liquor, but beer has carbs to go along with it as liquor does not.
    Alcohol does not convert to sugar or carbs, but it is used as an indirect energy source of about 7cal per gram after it's been through the absorbtion process and turned to ketone bodies.

Bottom line, stick to liquor and diet soda if weight is a concern

Good post

Swole cat... the reason I responded toMarkymark the way I did was because he was basically talking shit. If you read my original question, I state I know it isnt good for you, just wanted an answer to the question, not a diatribe about how I am not serious. the question may not have been for me, or it may have been done just as research, he shouldnt assume anything and treat me like a child.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

that's ........

far better stated than your first reply to him was, and clearer as well.

~SC~XXL~2K3~

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Everclear bro. You dont need much

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    I think it's awesome to be so dedicated to bodybuilding that you give up binge drinking completley. That takes a lot of determination. However, the fact of the matter is not everyone has that determination. I think the question posted was a very good one, I know I have wondered the same thing on several occasions. Pheedno came with an excellent, subjective and most importantly mature response.

I don't see where MarkyMark was being childish. To me he takes this sport to heart and takes it very seriously. As I sometimes do he gets somewhat offended when people seem to be taking training and diet litely. Before you flame me, I'm just saying that for the average joe an occasional drink or whatever isn't bad but for those of us who treat bb'ing as more than just a hobby but as our lifestyle going out on the weekends and getting drunk sounds absurd. I on the other hand don't drink not just because of the affects it has on my training but because I'm an alcoholic and have learned to deal with it.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Thanks for backing me up guys ( Swole and Tex )

I must apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings .

I just dont understand questions like this on this site.
    If your going to get drunk ! Why bother to ask what is the healthy way to do it ????
    If your idea is to do this often then the question still doesnt make sense in this forum ...

just my 2.....

MM

skinnyhb is offline Member
    there is a new michelob lite beer with like half as many carbs i believe. i haven't experienced it yet, but it is out there.

skinnyhb- I've recently seen the commercials out on that.....I wish they would have had that back in my drinking days! LOL

chinups Guest
    MarkyMark how old are you? td32 is 24.

diet- 1. The usual food and drink of a person or animal.
    2. A regulated selection of foods, as for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.
    3. Something used, enjoyed, or provided regularly:

I was under the assumption that this was the diet section. I asked a simple question that concerned alcohol and one's diet. I am not considering mixing my creatine with beer, so take it easy. If you didnt like the question dont answer it. If you are going to criticize it of course I am going to respond.

Decoder is offline Banned
    my gyno, i am a bisexual's dream date <- HAAHAHAH that's halrious a friend at the gym has gyno big time and he is an asshole so tommorow im going to say with your gyno your a bisexual's dream date OMG I CANT WAIT@#)($@#

cadillacpimpin is offline New Member
    I have heard that scotch has the least amount of calories and is the best for drinking and not gaining any weight. But on the other hand scotch, to me, is the nastiest liquid on the face of the earth.

You ask for people's opinions, you get people's opinions.
    You don't like people's opinoins, don't ask for people's opinoins.

Her's the question. If you had to go out and get drunk, what is the best alcohol to drink in terms of not getting fat. I know none are good for you, but what is better beer or liquor-and if liquor what is the best to drink.

That was the original question. Simple question, I didnt ask for someones opinion on the harmful affects, if i wanted a bullshit response I would have asked for one. I dont criticize people on here that talk about drugs, so why do i get criticized for alcohol questions.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by td32
    Her's the question. If you had to go out and get drunk, what is the best alcohol to drink in terms of not getting fat.

Read my post again

Thanks pheedno, I posted it again so the guys flaming me can see the original post. I am sick of catching flack over a simple question. You gave the response that i was looking for, an educated correct answer, not a flame

I'm not flaming........I gave my answer and defended someone else that gave theirs.

Thread Information