xenithon is offline Member

Help With Vinegars

Hi all,

I never used to eat salads much. Then I started the healthy lifestyle and I am eating them a lot now. They are helping out now especially because I am on a low-moderate carb (~100g carbs a day) diet and they are great ways of filling up with very low carb foods, low GI, high fiber etc.. (no need to explain the benefits). I also only recently startied experimenting with things to make them palatable, besides some really good and expensive olive oil. I have tried mainly different vinegars which have actually made many salad, and other food dishes, absoultely delicious! My question is - what is the nutritional info of the different vinegars?? Do they have a lot of carbs? Have they got sugars? Are there vinegars which can be used freely and some I must try stay aways from (especially during cutting/maintaining leanness)??

The main vinegars I use are Balsamic Vinegar, White Vinegar, and White Balsamic Vinegar?? I guess my mind is causing some guilt because the salads and other foods taste soo great that I wonder how they can be good for me, or if it may be interfering with the diet.

Thanks for the help!

anyone?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Not sure, have you done any kind of search yet?

Yung Wun is offline Member
    bump

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    This is what I've found so far:

Vinegar & Insulin

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Ok here goes......

Vinegar consists mainly of water and acetic acid approx 5g per 100ml and is made in two stages the first being in controlled conditions to ensure no contamination.Firstly yeasts turn the natural sugars into alcohol and then the bacteria converts the alcohol into acetic acid.This can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to yeast but as you have used it and had no problem this will not effect you

White vinegars are in fact brown malt vinegar that has been filtered through charcoal to remove its colour

Quick bit of history for you vinegar actually comes from the latin word vinum acer meaning "sharp wine"

So use it and stop feeling guilty about it because it is zero cals,low sodium just don't drink the stuff

thanks for the info!

the only reason I ask is because balsamic vinegar is meant to have sugar, normal vinegar none - i just wanted to check cause I am trying to eliminate unneccessary sugars

ciao!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I would imagine the amount you are using the sugar within it is going to minimal

meko13 is offline New Member
    Vinager and Splenda, my favorite type of salad dressing.

erm, i got a bit of a fright today when I went into a store and checked out some of their vinegars, since I want to add some variety to the diet (aren't we all). I looked at the balsamic vinegars they had and all the different ones said that they have around 35g carbs per 100g, almost all of which are sugars!! that's more than the dreaded teriyaki sauce!! can anyone confirm this??

Thread Information