Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Critique my diet please

Here it is. I'm currently in the process of getting ready for my first ever show (April 5th). I started at 245lbs in early October and as of last Wednesday I was 218lbs. My goal is to be around 185lbs-190lbs on stage. My arms, legs and upper back are all leaning up nicely but I'm still carrying excess bf on my problem areas (lower back, lower chest, abdomen....can't see abs yet). Wieght training 4 days per week high intensity and cardio 5-7 times per week (30 min bike, 30 minutes walking on treadmill....don't want catabolism). Strength is still very good, have not lost strength and have actually hit a few PB's as my weight decreased. Using 400mg/week EQ, 750mg/week enanthate , start clen in 1.5 weeks and will be using suspina (suspension/tren blend) three weeks leading up to the show. Dropped calories and carbs again this week and here is my diet:

8am - oats + 1 scoop whey and water
    9:30am - train
    11:30am - 2 scoops dextrose, 2 scoops whey, tbls flax
    1pm - chicken breast + 3.5oz sweet potato
    3:30pm - chicken breast
    5:15pm - cardio
    6:30pm - chicken breast + salad (or greens)
    8pm - ultra low fat microwave popcorn (fibre)
    9pm - chicken breast
    11pm - 2 scoops whey + water

6-8 litres of water per day (1.5-2 gallons)

Totals: 1725cals - pro 277g (64%), carbs 88g (20%), fat 30g (16%)
    I don't count post-workout carbs(dextrose) or fats (flax) towards totals as I feel they are neccesary. ( If fat seems high, remember, a 6oz chicken breast has 4.5g of fat).

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Looks good Pete, good luck to ya on your upcoming show. With your problem areas, I get into the same boat. If you're looking to lower the fat some you could replace the 3:30 chicken with a can or two of tuna or turkey breast. Also the 6:30 chicken and salad, maybe some boiled eggs (whites with maybe 1 yolk) mixed with the salad. But of course the way you have it looks good.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Pete,
    I'm following a similiar diet right now. The only difference I would make is replacing your last meal at 11 pm with a can of tuna (slow digesting protein or maybe some cottage cheese. I would also keep my carbs above 100 grams, adding 100% whole wheat bread to the chicken breast at 3:30. I find any carbs below 100 grams makes me look flat while almost always eating carbs with a protein meal is the way to go. I consider the two best friends. Everything else looks good, the toughest part is going to be only eating 1700 calories while on eq. Try throwing in an eca to control the hunger attacks. Good luck......Usualsuspect
    Last edited by usualsuspect; 01-14-2003 at 08:20 AM.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I think it looks solid Pete. Shit, your progress speaks that already.
    I would change out some of that chicken with a nice fatty fish like salmon though.

I would also bump up the oats in the morning and eliminate the pop corn so that carbs are kept in the a.m.
    If fiber is still lacking, then possibly a sugar free fiber supplement like Citrucil around the time you would have your pop corn.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

do not........

add any bread at your 3 o'clock meal, as if you do, your cardio session soon to follow will be relatively pointless.

Then again, what do I know, this is only my career.

~SC~XXL~2K3~
    "Swole in the Wall"
    @ GotFina.com
    www.swolecat.com
    Vizual X-Cellence

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I persojally know very little myself. I am dieting down for a spring show myself. From what i see compared to what i am doing it looks good.

I would after the 6:30 meal wait till 8:30 and eat the 9 o clock chicken then. Then one last protein only meal before bed.

I might bump the carbs up a little too. Unless your carbing up every 4th day or so. To maybe 100 to 125.

We are similar in weight as far as when we started. I started at 245lbs at 16.5%bf, now i am 228 at 12.5%. I started early Nov. The only difference is i eat way more red meat, and my carbs are between 100 and 150 they go down as the week goes on , and Sunday i carb up big time, and my protein is about 350 to 400g a day. Fat about the same.

Good luck it sounds good. Do you knwo what BF% your at? Those areas you mentioned will be the last to go. Just keep dieting and they will go! I think thats were every one has the most fat.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Pete i know you quite well, personally i would up training at this point to 6 days a week, take sunday off(no cardio no weights carb up day) Rest of days as you have outlined in fine. I would get rid of pop corn and replace it with another protien meal (50-70g worght). Get your fibre from salads/green veggie or supplement. Vary your calories a bit, more, i know from experince less is not always better. You big guy, and should be between low= 1700 high of 2400 on carb up day. No cheat days now, your getting fairly close.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I would ditch the popcorn for vegetables or other means of fibers. I wouldn't take in flax oil after you trained either cuz you need the sugars and whye to be absorbed quickly and fat would make the absorption slower. Your meal after your postworkout meal should be high in protein, low in carbs and low in fat, I do not know how many carbs a sweet potato has. Before bed I would take in the flax seed with the whey if you use whey so it absorbs slowly. Your water intake is excellent. 1725 calories is too low. You need to find your maintenance number and subtract 500 from it. I'm 5'8 and 158lbs and I take in 2200 calories a day for cutting. Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight, but to each his own. Carbs are way too little and so are fats.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Just
    SwoleCat add any bread at your 3 o'clock meal, as if you do, your cardio session soon to follow will be relatively pointless.
    Good point, i didn't realize cardio preceded the 330 meal. With that said wouldn't be more productive to switch cardio session to a.m. and workout session to p.m. then. But I'm sure Pete has his reasons though since he knows his shit....Usualsuspect

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

YES!

Very productive to do cardio a.m., then do a weight training workout at around 5 p.m. or so. I also advocate that in all of my programs.

Good point!

~SC~XXL~2K3~

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I put my answer on Competitors forum, but must agree on one thing with silverfox, might be time to cut the pop corn out and replace it with some steamed veggies mixed with the chicken at 8:30...XXL

yellows2k is offline Member
    Here's my diet from yesterday

11Am 330 calories 12.5g Fat 28g Protein 32g Carbs
    -Protein Shake 1 scoop
    -Natural PB 1 tablespoon
    -Oatmeal 1 packet
    -Celery/Carrots 1 serving

2PM Post Work 300 calories 2.5g Fat 20g Protein 50g carbs
    -Protein Shake 1 scoop
    -Grape Juice 1 cup

315pm 280 calories 2.5g Fat 52g Protein 10g of Carbs
    -1 can of tuna
    -Protein Shake 1 scoop

530pm 370 calories 11.5g Fat 30g Protein 25g Carbs
    -PB Sandwich on whole wheat bread
    -Protein Shake 1 scoop
    -Celery/Carrots 1 serving

8 pm 380 calories 4.5 g fat 56g protein 19g carbs
    -1 can of tuna
    -oatmeal 1 packet
    -protein shake 1 scoop

11pm 310 calories 8g Fat 44g protein 15g carbs
    -Natural PB 1 tablespoon
    -1 can of tuna
    -1 slice of bread, whole wheat of course

1AM before bed 200 calories 5g Fat 35g Protein 3g Carbs
    -Night time protein shake

Totals
    2170 calories 45.5g Fat(10.5g of saturated) 265g Protein 154g Carbs

My cutting calorie number is 2200 and I am using a 50%Protein, 30%carb, 20% Fat split and my expected numbers is 275g protein, 165g carbs, 40g fat.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Great input fellas, much appreciated!!!! I've made a few changes based on your suggestions. Popcorn is nixed and replaced with a green salad or mixed veggies, and I'm switching to ONE chicken breast per day instead of FOUR and will replace them with tuna patties 2x per day (can of tuna, 1 egg white, spices, slice of fat free cheese and scoop of oats - 38g pro, 20g carbs, 2.4g fat) and an egg white omlette for my 9pm meal (8 eggs, 2 yolks). Tuna pattis are in the afternoon so no complex carbs after 4pm. Every 4th day I will add two medium sweet potatos (as a carb up) before 4pm. That will provide an extra 100-120g of carbs. I will aslo take the flax out of my post workout drink and add it to my before bed drink. I will also add a 30 minute walk at 6am on an empty stomach 4-5 times per week. I train at 9:30 in the morning out of neccesity so I am unable to switch that. How do these changes sound? Thanks to everybody who replied...MikeXXL, Silverfox, BT, usualsuspect, Pheeds, PLJ, yellows and Swole....I really appreciate this guys and really need it as my head is already AFU (all fucked up) about this whole thing.
    Last edited by Pete235; 01-15-2003 at 06:11 AM.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Good moves and I guess Steve gave you his tuna burger recipe!

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Some great info here guys someone should put this in a checklist or something would benefit everybody, maybe a pre-conest diary is required! Give MahorPecs a run for his money lol

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I like Big Al's idea! For those of us newbies to actual competeing how about starting up a precontest diary so we could see first hand the steps that are taken to get into contest form. I know I would benefit from it greatly

Good luck Pete, and keep us updated bro!
    Last edited by BIG TEXAN; 01-15-2003 at 09:57 AM.

Thread Information