Cubber is offline Junior Member

Eat carbs at night?

I'm currently bulking. Am 185, 5'11", bout 13%bf. Am eating 3500 calories this week and start eating 4000 calories next week. Diet is well planned.

I eat before my gym workout 4:00, get to gym at 5:00 and work out, drink protein drink with fruit after 6:30ish. I don't get home untill 6:45 or 7:00. Which means that my last meal is 7:30 or 8:00. My question is....

What type of meal should I eat at this time? My body needs the carbs and protein, but it's getting kinda late. I go to bed between 10 and 11. Should I eat low or medium carbs with my protein at this late hour, after my workout. Or maybe I should eat no carbs at all?

I also have a protein shake before bed with some udo's oil.

Thanks for advice

yellows2k is offline Member
    Still should be low calories. Just like cutting, most of your carbs should be taken early in the day and post workout, post workout in a ratio of 3:1 carbsrotein, followed by a high protein low carb low fat meal about an hour later.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    If you're eating at 7-8pm and not going to bed until 10-11pm I say stick with a meal of high protein, moderate carbs, low fat. Yeah the carbs could be bad but you are bulking and if they start adding on some fat then back off of them or just do a little cardio.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

If you ............

have adequately trained and have primed your muscles for glycogen admission and retention, then you may have carbs, yes.

As previously stated, a pwo shake immediately that is high glycemic, followed by a standard chicken and rice type meal 1 hour later. It's good if you know how many carbs per meal you are allowed to make full use of glycogen, but not store fat. It's one of the things I offer in my programs as I have figured that out.

~SC~XXL~2K3~
    "Swole in the Wall"
    @GotFina.com

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    After workouts (at 6:30) I have a protein drink with an apple and a banana.
    For my last meal (at 7:30 - 8:00) I eat a chicken breast 7-8oz, 1 cup plain white rice, 1 cup frozen veggies, and salad (no fat dressing).

Calories 650
    Protein 49g 35%
    Carbs 83g 59%
    Fat 8g 6%

I eat this meal a little earlier on my day’s off, usually with a salmon steak or beef steak instead of the chicken.

I was worried that I was eating too much carb at night, but now I’m thinking I had it right?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

that........

looks really good, yep!

~SC~

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey Swole, when's your web site gonna be up?

I have......

one site now, but it is being re-vamped. I talked to the designer last night and sent a pic of me for the front..............one of me on the rocks...........I'll be taking pics in 6 weeks, then THOSE will be posted.........big difference!

~SC~

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Eating a high carb meal before bed is a bad idea like the guys have said keep the protein high but take in moderate carbs.Although you are sleeping you have to remember you are in fact fasting for approx 8 hours which does nothing to help when bulking.

Damn Swole hope you give AR as many free plugs on your site as you do for yours ;-) lol

Thread Information