BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member

Formula for figuring out calories!!!

Ok all, I used to have some sheets on figuring your calrie needs but lost 'em so maybe ya'll can help. A friend of mine has asked me to put together a diet and workout schedule. The only problem I have is figuring out how many calories he needs to eat. He's about 318-322 lbs with very high body fat I'm guessing 20% or better. He is obese, I just don't wantto cut his calories to fast. I'm not sure where start him out at.....he's just looking for weight loss. Maybe starting out at 3500 calories and start lowering gradually from there or what? Help me out ya'll! Once I figure out how many calories to start him out at I can figure out his diet from there. Thanks ya'll!!!!!

yellows2k is offline Member
    You can find calorie finders online, just have a look. What I would do is, yeah I have him start at his maintenance number, then for a week introduce cardio 1-2 times a week, then the next 3-4 times a week. AFter the second week I would then start to lower the calories by 250 over the third week then by another 250 for the 4th week. With a heavier person, just taking away food like that will make him indulge so you have to go VERY slowly. After that maybe he can introduce weights 3 times a week along with cardio, say lift MWF 1-2 sets per body part to get him used to it then keep adding from there.

Well he justed started am cardio, but he's been working out for a few years and been doing cardio 3x a week. He's just a big boy!!!!!

Is he concerned about keep all his muscle and what have you, or is it just losing a chunk of fat first then working on losing fat while maintaining muscle? I used to be very high BF too, about 33%, I just played basketball 3 hours a day until I was about 20 then start lifting and doing cardio. Just try not to let him indulge into fast food and junk like that. Have him drinking water, and eating healthy to start.

Well he'sin his early 40's and he's been lifting and training almost like a bulking phase. Well I convinced him he was doing it wrong and I have a workout routine but am just trying to figure out at what amount of calories I need to start him off at. He's dedicated to not cheat but I'll give him a cheat meal a week to help out.

http://www.personalhealthzone.com/me...alculator.html

Theres one, I used to have one where it also told me how to split up the macros too. Basically you just multiply the total calories needed per day by the percentage then divide by 4 for protein and carbs or 9 for fat

So say you needed 1000 calories a day and your split was 50%protein, 30% carbs and 20%fat. For protein you take 1000*.5=500. The take 500/4 which equals 125g a day. Same thing with carbs and fat except with fat just divide by 9. There you go.

Thanks bro........I've noticed we sometimes butt heads on ideas on here. I hope you don't take it personally, ypu preach what works for you and I just preach what has worked for me.....Thanks for the help again.

Thread Information