Thread: Bought a new...

Bought a new...

... digital kitchen scale today... and HOLY COW is this thing usefull.

I've been logging all I eat to keep a daily tally of all protein, carb and fat intake but up to now I have been depending on food labels and "guesstimating" quantities.

After playing with my new electronic scale for just a day, I now know I was overeating!!! My portions were just too darn big.

I highly suggest a decent electronic scale to anyone thinking of watching their food intake seriously.

I also downloaded the USDA nutrients database for my Palm (they have a palm version!!!! amazing!) and I now can log everything in the palms spreadsheet.

Woooo!

Red

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Damn bro you took nutrition to the technological edge. I have been weighing all my food now for about 6 months and it is funny to see how much you over/underestimated the amounts of stuff you were getting. If you want a good website for checking calories goto www.calorieking.com/foods it lets you rescale all the portions to whatever weight you want, I like it because it does the math for me..

Pain

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I will give this a BIG bump, very important to know excally what your eating, most guys over estamate the amount, often have guys tell me i eat, 4500 cals a day, when after weighting everything and figuring it out they are way under. Poor me just has analog... :-(

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey RED.....howm uch did that set you back, and when you weigh what you eat do you weigh it before or after cooking? I'm gonna have to start doing this........and my wife thinks I'm already anal about my diet!!!LMAO!!!

Texan ... It cost me about $70 canadian (figure $45usd?)

I weigh meats after cooking, pasta before cooking and veggies which I eat mostly raw are weighed as is.

I found it's also nice to weigh the powder for protein shakes, I noticed this morning I was putting in way more than I needed when I weighed it.

Amazing how the little things make such a difference.

Silver ... I had an old analogue scale, but never bothered using it as it wasn't precise and was such a pain. This electronic this is simply awesome. Put on a measuring cup, hit the TARE button, it zeroes itself, put stuff in measuring cup... amazing!

Pain ... Thanks for the link! Now I just have to make sure I log everything. Got my Palm set up for it.

Red

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup

I found it's also nice to weigh the powder for <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shakes, I noticed this morning I was putting in way more than I needed when I weighed it.

Red
    This is a good point. I found this out a few months ago. This happens because of settleing of the powder. The weight of the powder on top compresses the powder on the bottom. Since you measure it by "Scoops" a volume measure you are actually getting more protein than you think. To stop this I have found that if once a week I shake the canister of protein (flip it upside down a few times) this usually takes care of it. Easier than measureing your powder everytime.

Pain

Thread Information