americanoak is offline Member

Article: no carbs pwo

Here is an article that explains why having carbs post workout isnt a must.
    What do you guys think?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ditc...kout_carbs.htm

It did a study that had 3 diff groups. Each group ingested same protein pwo, but diff carbs.

Group 1: no carbs,
    Group 2: .15 kg/body weight
    Group 3: .6 kg/body weight

It says the study shows no difference in protein synthasis and that ingesting carbs pwo can actually be counter productive:

Growth hormone levels are elevated after resistance training. It's well known that as insulin levels increase in the body, growth hormone decreases. A large spike in insulin will occur with the ingestion of high GI post-workout carbs. Therefore, it would seem that carb intake after resistance training may be counter-productive.

Also, its input on fat burning:

Obviously if you are taking time to refill your muscle glycogen stores with carbohydrate after a workout, you are reducing the amount of fatty acids your body will use to provide the energy it needs.

In order to keep fat-oxidation (using fat for energy, whether from body-fat or food) at maximum levels, it would make sense to leave the carbs out of your post-workout shake. In doing so you encourage the body to tap into it's stored fat.

Anyone agree?

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    i have been doing cyclic ketogenic diet [ The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet..... ] for 2 weeks and have lost 5 lbs (im assuming mostly fat becuase my second row of abs is now showing)...so yeah, i agree

grats on the diet, im planning on doing that diet towards the beginning of may

**TOP** is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by americanoak View Post
    grats on the diet, im planning on doing that diet towards the beginning of may
    thanks...its hard at first, but totally worth it

seems like i will be changing my pwo meal a bit

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty View Post
    thanks...its hard at first, but totally worth it
    np, yea im rly looking foward to it. Already read a book on it, Bodypus. I have pretty much all the info. Just want to start it closer to the summer so i dont have to do it for a few months straight

Quote Originally Posted by americanoak View Post
    np, yea im rly looking foward to it. Already read a book on it, Bodypus. I have pretty much all the info. Just want to start it closer to the summer so i dont have to do it for a few months straight
    yeah it isnt the healthiest diet ever...i dont think i would want to do it more than three months

Hah, yea i'de prolly have to agree with not the healthiest diet, but I am doing it just to get rid of a last couple lbs of bf closer towards the summer. Prolly will only run it for 4 to 6 weeks.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    i have been doing cyclic ketogenic diet [ The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet..... ] for 2 weeks and have lost 5 lbs (im assuming mostly fat becuase my second row of abs is now showing)...so yeah, i agree
    how are you running it?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    yeah it isnt the healthiest diet ever...i dont think i would want to do it more than three months
    It's never gonna be as balanced as a lot of diet options but I've never understood how people derive their high fat intake from bacon and such. Easy enough to get 70% cals from fat without changing healthy eating habits.

i guess it works even if they do eat bacon, even though it isnt good for you, so why not. Im sure if they did it with healthier food sources, (like not bacon) that they would prolly lose even more body fat.

On the original topic, no i don't eat carbs immediately after my workout. and when i eat my next meal, it's complex carbs, just like with every other meal. Noticed no difference in muscle building between this and when i did it "the old way" with big nasty PWO shakes...

Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    On the original topic, no i don't eat carbs immediately after my workout. and when i eat my next meal, it's complex carbs, just like with every other meal. Noticed no difference in muscle building between this and when i did it "the old way" with big nasty PWO shakes...
    just what i was looking for, thanks.
    Looks like mass sugar pwo isn't the way to go any more

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    how are you running it?
    what do you mean? i do 65% fat 30% protein and 5% carbs

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I have been saying this for awhile now.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Yes, I haven't been around for a year or so, and it had been beaten to death then...

We "work out" in our daily lives, with random activities...should we stop and shove sugar and protein powder down our gullets...it just never made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    Yes, I haven't been around for a year or so, and it had been beaten to death then...

We "work out" in our daily lives, with random activities...should we stop and shove sugar and protein powder down our gullets...it just never made sense to me.
    lol very true. I think ill like not having to crap carm in. Mostly because i feel lke shi* for eating them, (even though they taste great )

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    It's never gonna be as balanced as a lot of diet options but I've never understood how people derive their high fat intake from bacon and such. Easy enough to get 70% cals from fat without changing healthy eating habits.
    i eat bacon every day. it is the one thing that keeps me sane during the week. but i get most of my other fat from walnuts, avocado, olive oil, and flax. the only thing that makes it not healthy is the inability to eat vegetables and fruit. i can feel it wearing on my body.

I am looking foward to eating lots of bacon only a little longer

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    i eat bacon every day. it is the one thing that keeps me sane during the week. but i get most of my other fat from walnuts, avocado, olive oil, and flax. the only thing that makes it not healthy is the inability to eat vegetables and fruit. i can feel it wearing on my body.
    Yeah, I miss fruit. Especially pre/post workout and with breakfast. Robek's smoothies used to be my morning motivation! I'm not on CKD but sugar is a big no-no in my diet regiment.

But you can definitely eat veggies like a mofo! Provided you're not eating lots of nuts and sauces (all have hidden carbs minus some creamy dressings) - you should have plenty of leeway to do veggies with each meal. Remember, fiber doesn't count towards net carbs. Asparagus, brocolli, spinach can be eaten in all but limitless quantities. While green beans and brussel sprouts can be down 2-3 times per day without exceeding the 20g rule of thumb.

Thread Information