Big_Dan is offline Associate Member

What's behind all the hype?

Im doing a low carb (50g) high protein (233g) diet that is really a pain in the ass because of my parents.
    Dont stop reading, this is where it gets interesting.
    A few months ago, my dad and i had a bet. Whoever lost most weight (we were at same bf% levels) would win some cash.
    Turns out i went from 27% to 20%, and he went from 29% to 17%. I went from my levels to the 20% using a low carb moderate protein diet which assured no muscle loss(and to muscle heads, this still would be catabolic as all hell because of "theory") and my dad ate three squares a day just watching what he ate

Now he didnt keep his protein high and even at plain pasta with olive oil in some of his meals. He lost bf% not weight, meaning no muscle loss. How is this possible? Genetics?

Perhaps all this high protein is a BIT overatted? While it might ASSURE no muscle loss, what if you go the other way and still lose fat and enjoy three squares a day?

I can go into detail if you guys want, but can someone start with an explanation>? Im really intrigued by this and want to learn, so give me your best shot.

NOTE: My dad swears by this and is reluctant to keep me on my dietbecause of the fact that he lost weight quicker than i did. How is this explainable and our position defendable?

Decoder is offline Banned
    how was both of your body fat measured and what time frame did this take place?

By skin pinches all over our body a total composition test made at a gym. It was basically before and after and it took 2 months . Granted, no transformation was made, but significant changes were made in our bodies.
    We also did with a normal scale and we finished at 83kg(from 92) and he at 82kg(from 93). In anycase, we did the bf%measurements at the end with the same method, and they were big decreases.

Decoder is offline Banned
    Well there is a 2% error with sink pinchers, so you wan't an explanation why your father had a larger bf drop ? You and your father did everything right, and continue what you are doing, just remeber Everybody is different most likely its genetic's and metabolism.

The body fat was a combination of a pinch to the BI,TRI, BACK, And STOMACHE correct? or was thigh included?
    Last edited by Decoder; 01-24-2003 at 04:29 PM.

thigh included, and remember, he had 2% more to start, and 3% less at the end. Fuck the 2% , he won thats sure, even at the weigh in.
    So what do you think?
    Is there a possiblity all this is just hype? (for losing fat)

His diet was plentiful in good fats.
    What gives?

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Just a thought:

Have you tried going on his diet for two months and seeing which one works better for you?

Peace

bump for the ones with the answer

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey Big D, you've posted numerous posts on here asking how to lose bf. Well it's been answered time and time again by many of us. Just follow the advise that's been given and you should see some good results.

yellows2k is offline Member
    Well going on such a low carb diet without going into ketosis will most likely start burning your protein for muscle. And chances are, you didn't get enough good fats, that protein number seems a lil low for someone that big(I'm 158lbs and I get 275g), you probably didn't get enough simple sugars in the AM and postwork actually I KNOW you didn't since you only got 50g of carbs a day.

A low carb, moderate protein doesn't assure no muscle.

Right I just said this is nt a low carb diet. He sometimes eats pasta with olive oil and perhaps some chicken etc.
    He lost it faster than i did, and while i lost no muscle and only %in fat, so did he, at a faster rate!
    WHY?

We both exercised the same.
    So is this tosay one can more severely restrict cal intake and not worry about muscle loss IF one has the bodytype or the bf % (high bf)

Just theorizing, this puzzles me.

Thread Information