Thread: tuna?

decadbal is offline Banned

tuna?

Sup bros, I heard that a certain amount of tuna intake is toxic, or bad? Is that true, and if so, how much tuna can one eat during a day/ week with it still being safe? thanks for the info dawgs.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'm not sure on the exact amount, but 1 or 2 cans a day should be ok. I take that back.....I beleive the report I read said no more than 2-3 times a week. I'm not 100% on this.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I used to eat one of those 5 serving cans a day.

I got so burned out on it that I can't eat tuna anymore but the reason why they say not to consume too much is from the mercury exposure.

Not really a major concern for an adult. That is mainly a concern for pregnant women. Unborn children are much more susceptible to exposure.

thanks fellas, im currently eating about 3 cans a day, of the chicken of the sea kind, so i dont think it will cause anything, i have talked tos ome guys who eat 6 and 7 a day for a long time so.. thanks though.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    if any body has this report I would be interested in reading it. I know that you should not eat fresh water fish from inland lakes no more than 2 times or maybe 1 time a month. because of the toxin levels in the water.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by abstrack
    if any body has this report I would be interested in reading it. I know that you should not eat fresh water fish from inland lakes no more than 2 times or maybe 1 time a month. because of the toxin levels in the water.
    Here a couple of links

Mercury

Exposure
    Last edited by Pheedno; 01-29-2003 at 07:43 AM.

i pasted this from that website you listed, thanks for the info bro.

Mercury Exposure

Mercury is a neurotoxic substance that can produce a wide range of health effects depending on the amount and timing of exposure. Mercury is a liquid at room temperature but vaporizes readily; in vapor form it is readily absorbed through the lungs. Repeated exposures to low levels of mercury vapor over long periods have been associated with tremors, irritability, impulsiveness, drowsiness, impaired memory, and sleep disturbances. These effects may occur at lower levels of exposure in children than adults.

When mercury attaches to an organic molecule, it may be absorbed into the body through the digestive tract. Methylmercury, which is produced naturally by certain bacteria, is such a molecule. It can cross the placenta and enter the brain, causing severe brain damage in fetuses. High mercury levels in fish consumed by pregnant women have been linked to severe brain damage and cerebral palsy in newborns.

Children are exposed to mercury primarily from eating contaminated fish. However, children eating soil contaminated with mercury or accidental exposures to mercury also have been documented.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Hell..I eat 25 cans of tuna a week...I'm still alive

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by majorpecs
    Hell..I eat 25 cans of tuna a week...
    I'm sorry! So have you satrted growing gills yet? I used to eat the hell out of tuna, but now it takes all my wil power just to choke down a can.

Thread Information