Terinox is offline The One & Only

Important Vitamin A Information

Too much vitamin A can lead to fractures: study
    Last Updated Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:54:24
    STOCKHOLM - Taking vitamin A supplements can weaken the bones, according to a new study.

A Swedish study conducted on men concluded that taking the supplements increased the risk of fractures by up to seven times.

The study is the first to measure levels of the vitamin in blood, rather than just interviewing the participants about their diet and supplement use. Previous research has indicated high intakes raised the risk of broken hips in women.

The study involved 2,322 men and was conducted over a 30-year period. It's published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Researchers found one-fifth of the men were at risk because they had the highest levels of vitamin A. The men were about two-and-a-half times more likely to suffer any fracture than those with lower levels of the vitamin in their blood.

They concluded a daily vitamin A consumption of more than 1.5 mg can be dangerous and that supplements are not necessary.

The recommended daily allowance for women is 0.7 mg a day and for men, it's 0.9 mg.

"Unless there is a known medical reason, like certain diseases of the eye,…people should not be taking vitamin A supplements," says Dr. Donald Louria, a preventive medicine expert from New Jersey.

Louria says multi-vitamins containing 0.1 mg or less of vitamin A are fine for people eating a healthy diet.

Vitamin A can interfere with cells that produce new bone. It tends to stimulate cells that break down old bone and interferes with vitamin D, which helps the body maintain calcium levels.

Vitamin A is abundant in beef liver, fish liver oils, egg yolks, butter and cream. Milk and certain cereals are fortified with vitamin A.

Written by CBC News Online staff

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Damn, some good info..

Pain

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Too much of almost ANYTHING can be bad, I would suspect...

Yung Wun is offline Member
    good heads up brotha

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Good post, but realistically too much of anything gives you something.
    I have understood that if one were to EAT a tube of toothpaste a day, one would get cancer. It just shows that no one would do that, unless they open up a bottle of their vit a from gnc and pop the hole bottle.
    I wouldn't , but you never know these people...
    Peace out

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I totally agree with you guys, too much of anything is bad for you. However, I just thought this was important for some people who maybe are really getting a lot of Vit. A and not realizing it, or maybe taking extra supplements for their vitamins, or maybe even take Multi. Vit. that have a high concentration of Vitamin A, which may be dangerous.

Thread Information