xplicit is offline Member

Can some one list some complex carbs for me?

Can some one name some complex carbs for me.

Also when you go on a low carb diet do the complex carbs count ?

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Basically all fruits and veggies are considered complex carbs. Yes, they are counted as carbs. on a low carb diet.

yellows2k is offline Member
    Most fruits are very high GI, which is bad when trying to lose weight.

-Oats
    -Whole wheat bread
    -Veggies
    -Brown Rice
    -Yams, not sure of this one since I don't eat these

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by yellows2k

-Oats
    -Whole wheat bread
    -Veggies
    -Brown Rice
    -Yams, not sure of this one since I don't eat these
    Yep...these are good.

I though complex carbs are better then simple carbs.

Which carbs are better for me if i want to gain some muscle and try to lose a little fat while im at it.

I need carbs but i dont know if i should lower my carb intake, maybe eat all the carbs in the beginning half of the day and stay away from them at night, or just eat complex carbs i always though oatmeal and pototes fruits and veggies were good for you, i dont know.

The only time you need simple sugars is right when you wake up and post workout. All other times you need complex carbs. Gaining muscle and losing fat is very difficult. I suggest you cut down to a low BF% to say 8-9 then start a bulking phase to about 13-15 then cut down and repeat. Most of your carbs should be taken early to midday.

Originally posted by yellows2k
    The only time you need simple sugars is right when you wake up and post workout. All other times you need complex carbs. Gaining muscle and losing fat is very difficult. I suggest you cut down to a low BF% to say 8-9 then start a bulking phase to about 13-15 then cut down and repeat. Most of your carbs should be taken early to midday.
    Agreed! See yellow, we do agree sometimes!!!!
    Now if you're like me and have to workout late, like 8pm or so than you need your simple carbs right after your workout plus a meal with high protein and complex carbs about 30 minutes to an hour later. So I end up eating a good meal or two just hours before I go to bed.

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN

Agreed! See yellow, we do agree sometimes!!!!
    Now if you're like me and have to workout late, like 8pm or so than you need your simple carbs right after your workout plus a meal with high <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> and complex carbs about 30 minutes to an hour later. So I end up eating a good meal or two just hours before I go to bed.
    True, I eat 30min before bed.

Great minds are alike!!!!LOL

big tex and yellow you 2 are all over the place, you should become mods.

So you think i should bulk up and then go to cut, thats what i been thinkin but i dont know how long i shoudl do it.

I was figuring i would go 2 months of bulkin in hopes of puttin on 10 pounds then it will be april and i got 3 months to cut for the summer and beaches.

2 guestions
    1- what kind of p/c/f split should i do to bulk my total cal intake should be 3187 and i would try to get around 3500 calories to bulk.

2- Cardio, I dont do cardio now i work a kinda laborous job, im atthe gym 4 days a week and i play ball at night twice a week so i figure if i did cardio (i wasnt takin in a lot of calories maybe 2300) then i would lose too much muscle. So how do i do cardio while bulking ?

How much body fat do you have? whether you bulk or cut is totally up to and what your goals are. after this summer once my body fat is about 7-9%, i plan on bulking from mid october to end of february. Then cutting from march to may. then maintain my size during the summer, then repeat.

i havent been on a bulking cycle yet. but when i do, i plan on doing a 40carbs/30protein/30 fat to start and then adjust it accordingly. for bulking, the basketball isn't the best choice for cardio, but u needa have some fun and it wont affect u that much. just a walk at your target heart rate for 30min-45min 2 times a week is fine.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by rob35145
    Basically all fruits and veggies are considered complex carbs. Yes, they are counted as carbs. on a low carb diet.
    I'm pretty sure that all the carbs in fruit are simple carbs(fructose), thats why they taste so good. As far as vegetables, i guess it depends on what kind you are talking about. Cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce and those types of vegetable(fibrous) have usually no protein/carbs/fat in them, this why ppl eat a ton of this stuff when dieting, no calories. If you're talking about a potato type of vegetable(starch), these things are loaded with complex carbs.

Now the cool thing is that if you combine a starch and a fibrous vegetable. The fibrous vegetable will slow down the rate at which the starchy vegetable is broken down, thereby giving you a more constant, slow, steady stream of carbs over a few hours.

If you do happen to be an endomorph and worried about stayin lean or trying to cut, then i would try to work out earlier in the day rather then later in the day. You don't want to be taking in massive amounts of carbs and other calories right before you go to bed.

[i]

2 guestions
    1- what kind of p/c/f split should i do to bulk my total cal intake should be 3187 and i would try to get around 3500 calories to bulk.

2- Cardio, I dont do cardio now i work a kinda laborous job, im atthe gym 4 days a week and i play ball at night twice a week so i figure if i did cardio (i wasnt takin in a lot of calories maybe 2300) then i would lose too much muscle. So how do i do cardio while bulking ? [/B]
    1- I owuld recomend a 40/30/30 split. 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. This is what I try and stick with. Now this is different than yellow's plan, but most of our advice conflicts one another so try each one and see what works best for you. another split I prefer is a 40/40/20 split being 405 protein 40% carbs, 20% fat.

2- I recomend cardio even if you are nor trying to lose body fat. Cardio in one form or another helps your endurance and cardiovascular system. Now if you don't gain body fat that easy don't woorty about it. It does help in loosing those few stubborn pounds though. Good luck and keep s updated.

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Foods with higher glycemic values produce a faster rise In blood sugar (glucose) than foods with lower values. Nothing produces a faster rise in blood glucose than pure glucose, with a glycemic index of 100. It is generally considered better to have a slow and steady rise in blood glucose rather than a sudden rise in blood glucose.
    These fruits are good to eat:
    Apple, GI = 40
    Banana, GI = 51
    Cherries, GI = 22
    Grapes, GI = 43
    Mango, GI = 41
    Orange, GI = 31
    Peach, GI = 28
    Pear, GI = 31
    Plum, GI = 24

When cutting try not to eat to many things with a GI higher than 75.

White rice, GI = 72
    pOTATO, GI = 56
    cARROTS, GI = 49
    Yam, GI = 24
    Sweet Potato, GI = 44
    Most beans are really low to.

FRUCTOSE is only 22 on the GI scale so most fruits won't raise blood sugar levels that much.

So how much GI should i have a day?

When is the best time to eat them Pre workout and for post work out stick to the simple carbs.

Also is it ok to eat these late at night.

I decided im going to bulk up but I wont be taking gear so do you think its realistic that i can gain 10 pounds in the next 2 months thats 1.25 pounds a week.

Thread Information