BAOC is offline New Member

post workout shake and cardio

Hey everybody...first post on AR. Recently I started training again after a frustrating 2002 due to several nagging injuries. For the first time ever I am performing cardio immediately after my workout instead of separate sessions and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on whether to drink the post workout shake between the weight-training and the cardio, or wait until after the cardio session is completed (about 20-30 min. after the workout) to have the shake. I've read up on the topic and have found that there are many conflicting points of view. I also happen to have a vast collection of pro bb videos and noticed that pros are also divided on this issue. For instance, Jay Cutler performed cardio immediately after his leg wo in "A Cut Above" (unless footage was cut out of him in between). I've also seen some pros such as Cormier in the "Battle" vids do the same. In his video, Melvin Anthony is filmed drinking his post wo shake immediately after his weight training session and then he explains that he's going to do cardio after he finishes. I am more than well aware of the importance of post wo nutrition and didn't want to cheat myself in any way. What does everyone on this board do (about post workout nutrition) who performs cardio after their wo? I apologize if this topic was posted before, I'm kinda new here.

yellows2k is offline Member
    Personally I'd take after cardio cuz it's easier I can just down my protein shake with some simple sugars.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    I dont have my pw shake after cardio, only after weights.
    After cardio, i have a normal whole food meal ASAP.
    Big Dan

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Hmm i've thought of doing post workout cardio but i'm usually really tired and always SICK after a workout, i just feel like going home and downing about 50-60grams of protein.

I do cardio in the off days and sometimes in the mornings, dont do proteins after cardio, just normal b'fast.

Decoder is offline Banned
    Well its 5am right now im going to do my cardio at 6am and my weights at 5pm giving me plenty of time to recover, ill take my PW shake some time around lunch and after the weights, i use to do cardio straight after weights, i haven't noticed a difference except my muscle burn more after lifting. Take your PW shake after lifting not after Cardio because... After cardio your body will intake more carbs than protien, And after a Resistence work out IE weights... your body will intake more protien than carbs, so its up to you. Have you heard the 20 minute window of oportunity before? for carbs and protiens?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'd take it after your workout and than do cardio.

By post workout shake, I think he means whey and dextrose, so would it be beneficial to have the dextrose right before u do cardio?

Thanks for pointing that out yellow.....don't eat for 2-3 hours prior to your workout......than do cardio first, drink a protein shake with oats, do your workout and than drink your protein and dextrose shake. I've never done this but seen it posted before and it sounds like it could work.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I've always been consistent with downing my post workout shake (50g whey, 50-100g simple carbs depending on the intensity of my workout) IMMEDIATELY after my workout for years. I think I'm gonna continue to do the same, don't want to miss that golden window. I'll just have to figure out another convenient way of getting my cardio in...

...the thing is I'm getting back into it after a long layoff and while I haven't lost much size, I need to get my strength back to eventually move forward. At the same time, I need to start doing cardio consistently because of some of the extra bodyfat I've accumulated in the last year doing basically...nothing. I didn't want to burn myself out by starting off in the gym seven days a week.

BIG TEXAN...I just realized looking back at your reply what you meant. It didn't sink in the first time (damn low carb day)...that sounds like a great suggestion but I'd be concerned with the time I'd spend in the gym with adding a meal in between cardio and then digesting it before the workout. As my intensity picks up over the next month or so, I'm gonna have to rest after eating for at least 45 min. or else its coming back up shortly after a few working sets of squats or deads. Plus the pansy ass gym I'm at right now would have a fit if they caught me eating in the locker room. You wouldn't believe this crap, they have signs up saying if you are caught with possession of food or beverage on the gym floor, you will have your membership priveleges revoked.(only water botttles allowed)

hardasnails1973 is offline New Member
    bro try this after workout have 10 grams glutemine and 5 grams BCAAS before cardio and then have your post work out shake after wards. Works really effectively repelensh glyocgen levels slightly and will protect muscle from majortiy of break down..

Hope this helps

Well after cardio, don't down a shake, what about slowly drinking it while you workout? I've seen guys doing this. Not real sure on it though. That or just do what I do.....get your a$$ outta bed a couple of hours earlier and go do cardio in the am on an empty stomach and then eat and do your workout later in the day. Good luck to ya bro.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback fellas.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    All good suggestions so far... having been a sprinter i've always found it beneficial to drink my shake immediately after lifting, and waiting 15-20 minutes to do my running. If you are trying to cut, then you don't need to be replenishing your body with carbohydrates after a cardio workout. As you stated, you DO NOT want to miss that window for your post-workout shake. You just have to feed your muscles during that time, if you turn around and delve straight into cardio for the next 45 minutes im pretty sure you send your body into a catabolic state. While taking the glutamine and BCAA you might preserve some muscle from breaking down, i doubt it would be sufficient. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

And once you tackle this problem maybe you can beat the hell out of some of the geriatrics on your gym board and explain p/wo nutrition to THEM.
    Good luck.

Originally posted by rambo
    If you are trying to cut, then you don't need to be replenishing your body with carbohydrates after a cardio workout. As you stated, you DO NOT want to miss that window for your post-workout shake. .
    This makes no sense. You say you don't need the simple sugars to replenish glycogen but you don't want to miss that post workout window. You do know that the post workout meal consists of 2 things: protein most favorably in the form of whey and simple sugars most favorably in the form of dextrose.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Good call yellows.
    no it doesnt make sense...got myself tangled up i am extremely exhausted and am hanging around in order to avoid doing a lab writeup on pia mater Regardless i still think he should take the shake as post weights pre cardio.

Thread Information