overactive-girl is offline Female Member

keto diet going well

Okay, I started a really strict diet about 5 days ago.
    Lots of tuna and salmon (the only kind of meat I eat) and 2 eggs per day plus a protein shake in the morning.
    the only dietary fat I am getting is from flaxseed oil which I add to my shake and to my steamed veggies (I eat them with my fish). I am also taking a GLA supplement (200mg twice a day).

Will the veggies keep me out of ketosis? they are carbs, right?
    according to my metabostix, I am producing ketones in my urine.

I want to know if I reduce the veggies (the only thing that is filling me up right now)...will I speed up my fat loss, or just induce hunger?

Can someone please clarify this for me?

yellows2k is offline Member
    Well if you are producing ketones then your diet currently is fine. Just make sure you get enough calories and macros.

Make sure you don't over indulge coming out of that diet. And don't be surprised with weight gain when coming off that diet. And introduce carbs slowly into your diet after you are finished. Good luck.

durbin22 is offline Member
    Keep your carbs below 20 a day and stick with green veggies and you will be fine.

lxorl is offline Associate Member
    what are ketones in the urine... can someone explain ?

when you say to keep my carbs below 20 a day, does that include carbs from fruits and veggies????

I thought it was okay to eat lots of veggies and a little bit of fruit as long as it is low on the glycemic index. Well, I guess they still don't add up to 20g.

Also, someone told me today that it is bad to be in a state of ketosis because your brain doesn't have any glucose to run off of....that makes sense! How do you keep your brain fueled?

Originally posted by overactive-girl
    when you say to keep my carbs below 20 a day, does that include carbs from fruits and veggies????

I thought it was okay to eat lots of veggies and a little bit of fruit as long as it is low on the glycemic index. Well, I guess they still don't add up to 20g.

Also, someone told me today that it is bad to be in a state of ketosis because your brain doesn't have any glucose to run off of....that makes sense! How do you keep your brain fueled?
    Simple, to keep your brain fueled, you eat carbs.

I realize that...but my big question still remains:

When you say carbs, are you referring to the kind you get from fruits and vegetables, or are you referring to grains and bread and stuff.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I realize that...but my big question still remains:

When you say carbs, are you referring to the kind you get from fruits and vegetables, or are you referring to grains and bread and stuff.
    I'll answer for Durbin and he can correct me if he meant something different, but yes, he means fruits and vegetables. Low carb generally cuts out fruit altogether and limits vegetables. If you are eating veggies, try to stick with green leafy type as well as broccoli, cauliflower. Carrots are pretty high in carb, mostly because they contain a lot of sugar.

You can eat a lot of the green stuff before you get to 20g of carb.

I didn't hear about any fruit in the description of what you are eating. Is there anything else you eat?

OK put it this way, 20g of carbs from ANYTHING, whether it be veggies or not, count every carb

durbin22 is offline Member
    lxorl
    Ketosis is when your liver is out of glycogen and produces ketones. ketones are by-products of fatty acids.

thanks, that makes sense.
    To answer your question: I am putting one cup of berries (either strawberries, blueberries, or rasperries) in my whey protein shake in the morning......yummm
    I am also eating 1 apple in the afternoon (usually around 4pm or so) just to get me through until dinner.
    I think that is okay as far as carbs go.
    everything else is just fish and steamed vegetables in flax oil.

Anything else I should be doing to lose weight faster?
    I have had to cut back a little on my workouts due to lack of energy.
    I am only doing about 20 min. of cardio now (much lower intensity than I am used to). And keeping my lifting sessions under one hour.

Thanks for the advice

beenie is offline Senior Member
    thanks, that makes sense.
    To answer your question: I am putting one cup of berries (either strawberries, blueberries, or rasperries) in my whey <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shake in the morning......yummm
    I am also eating 1 apple in the afternoon (usually around 4pm or so) just to get me through until dinner.
    I think that is okay as far as carbs go.
    everything else is just fish and steamed vegetables in flax oil.

Anything else I should be doing to lose weight faster?
    I have had to cut back a little on my workouts due to lack of energy.
    I am only doing about 20 min. of cardio now (much lower intensity than I am used to). And keeping my lifting sessions under one hour.

Thanks for the advice
    1 cup of blueberries = 21 grams of cab
    1 medium apple = 21 grams of carb.
    1 cup strawberrieis = 11 grams carb.
    1 cup lettuce = 1.5 grams of carb
    1 cucumber = 4 grams carb
    6 pieces of cauliflaur = 4 grams carb
    Half cup of brocolli = 3 grams carb
    1 small tomatoe = 4 grams carb
    Half cup green pepper = 5 grams carb
    1 cup of spinich = 1 gram of carb
    1 cup of onion = 10 grams carb.

Hope this gives you an idea. I know its very difficult to stick to 20 grams a day, but for cutting my experience is the lower you go the quicker you lose. Compibined with vigorous cardion,it is REALYY fast and effective.

Thread Information