streeter is offline Associate Member

Nicotine and bodybuilding

So I have done wonders with my diet here and am making small gains. At my age (45) that's not bad. My question is one of my so called bad habits is I like my Cigars. I am a Cigar affectionato (So I can't spell) anyways you don't inhale cigars, there's no calories in them unless you eat the darn thing so does Nicotine hinder progress? It's one Vice I may not be willing to give up no matter what. I have a few thousand dollars worth of premium cigars at least a years worth. LOL
    Smoking a Gurkha Century as I type

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Drop the habit, stick with healthy foods and a healthy lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    Drop the habit, stick with healthy foods and a healthy lifestyle.
    I understand that reply from a non smoker but it doesn't answer the question does it affect making Gaines? I can run 6 miles I lift well I eat well diet is not the issue. I just want to know the affects of nicotine not inhaled on bodybuilding

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by streeter View Post
    I understand that reply from a non smoker but it doesn't answer the question does it affect making Gaines? I can run 6 miles I lift well I eat well diet is not the issue. I just want to know the affects of nicotine not inhaled on bodybuilding
    Yes, in the long run it will hinder performance, especially endurance. Without a healthy cardio vascular system, gains will be hindered. Common sense.

I've been addicted to Cigs for a while in my younger youth. Dropped that habit because using for so long has no purpose or beneficial roll in regards to living a healthy lifestyle. Plain and simple.

I've had my fair share of drugs in my day bro. I've been addicted to things many people would dare not to **** with. So I know how hard it is to stop. If your main goals are to life a healthy lifestyle, drop it. It's hard, I know. I won't go into detail of what I've been addicted to. But lets just say it's harder to quite the things I've done then a Cancer Stick.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    So I have done wonders with my diet here and am making small gains. At my age (45) that's not bad. My question is one of my so called bad habits is I like my Cigars. I am a Cigar affectionato (So I can't spell) anyways you don't inhale cigars, there's no calories in them unless you eat the darn thing so does Nicotine hinder progress? It's one Vice I may not be willing to give up no matter what. I have a few thousand dollars worth of premium cigars at least a years worth. LOL
    Smoking a Gurkha Century as I type
    how many cigars do you have in a day? A week?

A cigar here and there won't destroy your gains. It really won't.

I just wouldn't smoke cigars all day like Freud.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Nicotine constricts the blood vessels which is contrary to what you want as a weight lifter. You want your blood vessels dialated.

You don't need to inhale to injest nicotine. Anyone with a wad of tobacco in their lip will agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    how many cigars do you have in a day? A week?

A cigar here and there won't destroy your gains. It really won't.

I just wouldn't smoke cigars all day like Freud.
    You won't like hearing this but there's some days I have 2 or 3 but usually at least one a day. I have a high tolerance to nicotine since I smoked cigs for 20 years but haven't touched a cig in over 11 years now.

Remember George Burns who lived to like 100 he was in an interview once and the reporter said "Now George what would your doctor say about all those cigars you smoke?" George looked her straight in the face without hesitation and said "I don't know he's dead" George smoked like 5 or 6 a day and lived to somewhere around 100

3day is offline Member

Do you really want to look like this.J/K i can't see how having a cigar a day in your mouth could hurt your gaines.I mean you don't inhale and you sure aren't getting nicotine like if you had snuff in your lip.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    You won't like hearing this but there's some days I have 2 or 3 but usually at least one a day. I have a high tolerance to nicotine since I smoked cigs for 20 years but haven't touched a cig in over 11 years now.

Remember George Burns who lived to like 100 he was in an interview once and the reporter said "Now George what would your doctor say about all those cigars you smoke?" George looked her straight in the face without hesitation and said "I don't know he's dead" George smoked like 5 or 6 a day and lived to somewhere around 100
    two different things:
    life extension vs. lifting weights

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, do you really want to look like THIS?!

MrGreen is offline Member
    I smoke also and to be honest I am sure it does hinder your gains to an extend.

I do not think however that is does so much that you will notice a difference aside from maybe the shortness of breath at times.

gym_junki is offline Member
    im a smoker i bought champex its a prescribed pill designed to block the nicotine receptors in the brain, a cycle of 4 moth i think 2 pills a day and u can smoke while ur taking them u will stop naturally without trying to quit, i start mine tomoro. and for me yes its holding me bak so much its blocking my appetite to eat i can stay on 2 meals a day. i quit for 3 month once i started eating heaps my trainning and health was alot better and put on 4kg. now ur saying u dont enhail the smoke so its not even entering ur system and because alot of people dont enhail sigars they just puff out smoke that will not effect u what so ever, as long as u dont enhail the smoke so its not entering ur lungs ur fine. but better not do it anyway.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'm a cigarette smoker, about a pack a day, and I know that if nothing else, it's hurting my cardio, breathing, etc. I'm also an avid user of something else that I cannot talk about directly here, but it helps me sleep at night.

There have been studies showing that it can lower testosterone production, but then i've seen studies to the contrary. You just never know what to believe. I realize that if i wanted to be on the safe side, err on the side of caution, i'd just stop. Unfortunately I have a problem with anxiety and am not interested in popping pills for the rest of my life. The other 'medication' helps with the anxiety, AND is an enjoyable experience. So, it's not that easy to 'just quit', at least not for me.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    Yes, in the long run it will hinder performance, especially endurance. Without a healthy cardio vascular system, gains will be hindered. Common sense.
    you don't inhale cigars so how would it mess up your cardio??

Arnold Smokes cigars.. thats all i got to say

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Nicotine constricts the blood vessels which is contrary to what you want as a weight lifter. You want your blood vessels dialated.

You don't need to inhale to injest nicotine. Anyone with a wad of tobacco in their lip will agree with that.
    that is incorrect.. Dipping has 9x the amount of niucotine then a cigarette.. and has fiberglass in it that cuts your lips and gets it into your blood stream.. so i disagree with your stement.. you do need to inhale smoke in order to get nicotine in your system.. but dipping still does it for you as well..

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

interestingly enough, a small dosage of nicotine has a sympathetic effect like you noted, but a large dosage has a parasympathetic effect, especially on the heart, nicotine is a fun little compound

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    that is incorrect.. Dipping has 9x the amount of niucotine then a cigarette.. and has fiberglass in it that cuts your lips and gets it into your blood stream.. so i disagree with your stement.. you do need to inhale smoke in order to get nicotine in your system.. but dipping still does it for you as well..
    actually, nicotine is so permeable that if you drop a nicotine solution (suspended in water) on your skin, it will diffuse faster then you can wipe it off, and since the sublingual area is packed with blood vessels you can get nicotine just from having smoke in your mouth

also, the filters of most cigarettes are made from fiberglass and since the end of a cigarette can burn at an excess of 1300 degrees F, some of the fiberglass will be vaporized and end up in your lungs, not a pleasant thought

Thread Information