Canadian Silverback is offline New Member

Keto Diet Question

hi all, i am looking into starting a keto diet and have some questions about what it should look like.

stats first:
    height: 5'7
    Weight: 203
    Body Fat: 18%
    Years Training: About 12 years
    Cycle History: did a cycle of test prop, 8 weeks 350mg/week, PCT was nolva (40/40/20/20) and Clomid (150/100/70/50). Did this at the beginning of this year.

ive been reading a few threads on this lately here, and i am trying to figure out exactly what it should look like.

i was trying to work out one and this is what i came up with

Meal 1:
    3 eggs
    4 strips bacon

meal 2:
    Protein Shake/EFA's (2 tsp)

meal 3:
    2 eggs
    1 cup chicken

Workout
    Pwo:
    Protein Shake
    10g creatine
    5g glutamine
    5g arginine

meal 4:
    1 can tuna
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil

meal 5:
    1.5 cups chicken

meal 5:
    Protein Shake/EFA's

when i worked it out i came up with
    143g Fat- 1287 cal
    307.5g Protein - 1230 cal
    Total - 2517 cal

so my questions about this are:
    1.) is this anything like a keto diet should look like
    2.) is the bacon in the morning a good choice

for my carb loading phase i would start on friday afternoon with 2-3 pieces of fruit about 2 hours before my workout, post workout i would have a normal shake and 100g of liquid carbs, and im not sure how i would go about getting the other 740g carbs (is this the right number for carbs as well?)

on a side note for training i am going to be using Ronnie Rowlands slingshot training, hitting every muscle group once a week. currently i also do cardio every morning on an empty stomach for 1 hr (light cardio)

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Silverback View Post
    hi all, i am looking into starting a keto diet and have some questions about what it should look like.

stats first:
    height: 5'7
    Weight: 203
    Body Fat: 18%
    Years Training: About 12 years
    Cycle History: did a cycle of test prop, 8 weeks 350mg/week, PCT was nolva (40/40/20/20) and Clomid (150/100/70/50). Did this at the beginning of this year.

ive been reading a few threads on this lately here, and i am trying to figure out exactly what it should look like.

i was trying to work out one and this is what i came up with

Meal 1:
    3 eggs
    4 strips bacon

meal 2:
    Protein Shake/EFA's (2 tsp)
    What type of EFA? 2 tsp? 1 TBSP would be fine

meal 3:
    2 eggs
    1 cup chicken
    Wheres the fat in this meal?

Workout
    Pwo:
    Protein Shake
    10g creatine
    5g glutamine
    5g arginine

meal 4:
    1 can tuna
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 TBSP is fine

meal 5:
    1.5 cups chicken
    Again, where's the FAT in this meal?

meal 5:
    Protein Shake/EFA's
    Again, what kind of EFA and how much?

when i worked it out i came up with
    143g Fat- 1287 cal
    307.5g Protein - 1230 cal
    Total - 2517 cal

so my questions about this are:
    1.) is this anything like a keto diet should look like
    Pretty close
    2.) is the bacon in the morning a good choice
    I know alot of guys who use bacon as a fat source on a keto, but I prefer nut sources (almond oil, walnut oil), fish oil, or avocado oil/EVOO

for my carb loading phase i would start on friday afternoon with 2-3 pieces of fruit about 2 hours before my workout, post workout i would have a normal shake and 100g of liquid carbs, and im not sure how i would go about getting the other 740g carbs (is this the right number for carbs as well?)
    There's many different ways to carb load on a keto, you're going to have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

on a side note for training i am going to be using Ronnie Rowlands slingshot training, hitting every muscle group once a week. currently i also do cardio every morning on an empty stomach for 1 hr (light cardio)
    Good on the cardio!!

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!
    Bolds above.

thanks for the quick response!

The EFA i have is just fish oil, sorry should have specified.

meal 3: doesnt the egg yolk count as fat in this? if not could i say have 2 pieces of bacon with meal 1, and 2 with meal 2?

so if i take out what you said, i could then add a nut source into meal 5, correct?

again thanks for the help. much appreciated

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Silverback View Post
    thanks for the quick response!
    anytime

The EFA i have is just fish oil, sorry should have specified.
    Good. how much fish oil at each meal?

meal 3: doesnt the egg yolk count as fat in this? if not could i say have 2 pieces of bacon with meal 1, and 2 with meal 2?
    You're right. I thought you said "egg whites". The fat in a whole egg would be fine.

so if i take out what you said, i could then add a nut source into meal 5, correct?
    Yes, add a fat source to meal 5

again thanks for the help. much appreciated
    bolds again

for my fish oil i was just gonna use a tea spoon for each.

i think im going to add a nut source to meal 5 then.

thanks again for the help

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    It's very important to track your macros at each meal closely when doing a clean keto diet. a 50/50 ratio of pro/fat is good, a 40/60 is even better. The concept being that when using ketones, not carbs for fuel, you need sufficient fat at each meal to keep energy levels high and spare protein so you don't lose muscle mass. More important even, is as D7M critiqued your diet; you don't over-do the fat and have multiple tabslepoons of oil or like 1/2 cup of nuts or several tbspns. of PB at each feeding because then you're defeating the purpose of a keto diet in that total cals will be too high while protein will be lower than ideal.
    As for the EFAs - go for 8-12g of Omega-3. No need to over-do it. In most meals, nuts, avocados, protein fat and macadamia/olive oil should be staples.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    It's very important to track your macros at each meal closely when doing a clean keto diet. a 50/50 ratio of pro/fat is good, a 40/60 is even better. The concept being that when using ketones, not carbs for fuel, you need sufficient fat at each meal to keep energy levels high and spare protein so you don't lose muscle mass. More important even, is as D7M critiqued your diet; you don't over-do the fat and have multiple tabslepoons of oil or like 1/2 cup of nuts or several tbspns. of PB at each feeding because then you're defeating the purpose of a keto diet in that total cals will be too high while protein will be lower than ideal.
    As for the EFAs - go for 8-12g of Omega-3. No need to over-do it. In most meals, nuts, avocados, protein fat and macadamia/olive oil should be staples.
    thanks alot for the input!

Thread Information