Thread: keto question

musclestack is offline Productive Member

keto question

From what I've read of Dave Palumbo's cutting diet, many people have said that this is not a ketogenic diet, as keto diets are higher in fat. If I choose to run this diet, will I still enter ketosis? Or am I better off going with a CKD keto? I imagine both diets work really well, but I want to enter ketosis to see how my body reacts.

Also, Dave suggests not using stimulants while on this diet. I was planning on adding ECA. Would this really be a bad idea, and why?

Anyone?

bigcwithane is offline Member
    You'll get into ketosis best buy ckd imo. Because the polumbo diet you eat carbs but mostly fiberous veggys so you don't get to break into ketosis

oker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    From what I've read of Dave Palumbo's cutting diet, many people have said that this is not a ketogenic diet, as keto diets are higher in fat. If I choose to run this diet, will I still enter ketosis? Or am I better off going with a CKD keto? I imagine both diets work really well, but I want to enter ketosis to see how my body reacts.

Also, Dave suggests not using stimulants while on this diet. I was planning on adding ECA. Would this really be a bad idea, and why?
    The point of the ckd, or cyclic ketogenic diet, and entering into a state of ketoses, is to subtract carbs from your diet completely or at least to a bear minimum (a state of ketoses is only possible if the body has been starved of the said carbohydrates). In return the fat stored in the body provides it with an energy source in the absence of the carbohydrates.

To get your body into a state of ketosis glycogen must be emptied from your liver. (ingested carbohydrates are stored in the liver as glycogen, as well as in the muscles). So when the liver is depleted of glycogen, a state of ketosis is achieved.

The point is that the body will always enter ketosis as long as carbs are kept to a minimum - remember that stored fat is broken down into ketones, which the body then uses for energy. Palumbo’s theories on the subject are not much different in that carbs are kept to a minimum in the diet in order to reach ketosis, except that DP advocates a higher amount of protein than the ckd - the cdk suggests a higher amount of fat (realistically DP is talking about a lean bulk, different to cutting if that is your objective).

You seem a little confused between the ckd and the lean bulk bro, both have a different purpose - do a little more research on the topic here boards and elsewhere then post your diet up you'll get some better responses.

Thanks, Oker. My main objective is to lose as much bf as possible while retaining muscle. In fact, this is my only objective. I want to get to single digit bf. I have already posted my CKD in another thread, and the responses I got from the critiques were good. However, some people here recommended the DP diet instead. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which one to go with. Given my objective, which one do you think would best suit me?

oker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Thanks, Oker. My main objective is to lose as much bf as possible while retaining muscle. In fact, this is my only objective. I want to get to single digit bf. I have already posted my CKD in another thread, and the responses I got from the critiques were good. However, some people here recommended the DP diet instead. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which one to go with. Given my objective, which one do you think would best suit me?
    Bro check out the stickies on the following site:

http://www.leanbulk.com/forum/lean-bulking/

Lots of good info on lean bulking. I couldn't tell you what’s best for you because providing advice about diet without knowing your BF% and other important factors would be just plain foolish on my part. All I can tell you is that the cdk worked well for me as I also had the same objective as you did, and I lost a huge amount of fat (this was after a year off training due to serious injury - I lost 10kg‘s in around 6-8 weeks). Furthermore, I’ve done the cdk a few times after a bulk to get cut, but from experience I believe one must consider many factors when choosing a diet…genetics, for example, plays a major part in your choice of diet.

I use the cdk and swear by it because I look soft when I eat carbs, which I don’t mind as BB’s will look soft while bulking, but each has a purpose. Considering the ckd diet has almost zero carbs included I will continue to use it when I cut, as it assists me in losing fat…that doesn’t mean it will work for you. Being and ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph will determine what diet works well for you IMO. To put it another way, considering your body composition before choosing any diet, whether it be a lean bulk, heavy bulk, or a cutting diet, is common sense.

To summarize you need to consider what works best for you based on your genetics, diet history, and/or cycle, if any. You’ll get a lot of ppl on the boards providing advice, but be aware that some of it is very general information based on their own experiences or ‘personal knowledge’ (with the exception of the more senior members on the board, such as the vets, who are obviously experienced, professional BB's). Bro, only you can know what works best for you and your decision should be made through careful research and your own personal experiences with your diet history. Advice is one thing but in the end only you can make that decision through careful planning. This is why I advocate BB’s should keep a journal as I do.

Consider: What is your BF% presently? your diet/cycle history? How long have you been training etc. Answer these question and you’ll have a better idea what diet is best for you. If you’d like PM me your stats - example your diet, training, cycle history etc (include some pics if you wish so I can estimate BF% and thus an appropriate diet), and I’ll make some educated suggestions in terms on what‘s best for you. Hope that helps bro.
    Last edited by oker; 09-29-2010 at 03:42 AM.

renjr70 is offline Junior Member
    I'm also confused about the palumbo diet, I use a ketogenic diet now and Palumbo uses Waximaize in his diet. Dont the carbs get stored in the liver when they're converted to sugars in the blood and effectively stop Ketosis? I did'nt really understand how the Palumbo diet works with Keto.

charcold is offline Associate Member
    Keep in mind blood sugar is under very strict control, unless your diabetic lol. And the main point of stable glucose levels in the blood, is predominately to feed the brain, which IIRC has practically NO glycogen.

Glycogen is basically a puzzle, with each piece of it being made of glucose. But it takes an enzyme to put glucose into glycogen, as well as a different enzyme to take it out.

Thread Information