Thread: Impact carbs?

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member

Impact carbs?

I noticed on some protein bars they include a "impact carbs" calculation. What are they and why are they broken out separately?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Because most bars contain a product called glycerin (sorry I think spelling is off) it is counted as a carb but it really isn't one, it has a little over 4 cals per gram like a carb. It is used to make the bars softer and sweeter. It has no/little impact on insulin that is why they don't count it in the impact carb section (doesn't impact insulin) they use this product a lot in diabetic foods, since it won't effect insulin. I can lead you to more info on it if you want but I think that sums it up.

Pain

BTW, what effects my insulin is more important than the amount of cals I take in when dieting, for my body at least. I use a lot of foods made for diabetics when I am dieting/cutting.

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    BTW, what effects my insulin is more important than the amount of cals I take in when dieting, for my body at least. I use a lot of foods made for diabetics when I am dieting/cutting.

Pain
    Pain that is interesting. I was talking to one of the guys at work today whose wife is diabetic and he said a lot of the stuff that I was eating was what his wife eats.

Do you have any websites or food suggestions as I am trying to drop body fat.

Originally posted by painintheazz
    Because most bars contain a product called glycerin (sorry I think spelling is off) it is counted as a carb but it really isn't one, it has a little over 4 cals per gram like a carb. It is used to make the bars softer and sweeter. It has no/little impact on insulin that is why they don't count it in the impact carb section (doesn't impact insulin) they use this product a lot in diabetic foods, since it won't effect insulin. I can lead you to more info on it if you want but I think that sums it up.

Pain
    Maybe this is why my calories did not add up on my protein bar with the calories I computed using the nutritional values!?

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Maybe this is why my calories did not add up on my <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> bar with the calories I computed using the nutritional values!?
    Yup, they are unaccounted calories, the FDA is currently working on this problem.

Pain

As for a website I like
    http://www9.netrition.com/lowcarb_page.html
    they have tons of low carb/diabetic foods.
    Also do a search on the net for diabetic foods or low carb foods that will yeild a lot of websites that specialize in it. My personal fav company is Fifty50. They make some pretty good chocolate/snacks, good for cheating but not cheating too bad. Anything else??

Pain

Thread Information