chamkila is offline Junior Member

another cardio question?

hey guys once again another cardio question,

is 20mins of fast walking 5 days a week on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, good enough to help burn fat, im currently @16-18%bf, i am going to start on monday, i wanna get down to at least 10%, just wondering if i should increase the fast walk to a run for 20mins, dont wanna loose to much muscle mass in the process, also going to take 5g glutimine b4 cardio; do i also need to change my diet around or should i stick with cardio and see what happens?? any thoughts or comments??
    Last edited by chamkila; 01-24-2003 at 07:15 PM.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Walking is bullshit. Jog.
    With proper diet and jogging you should be fine.
    Do this in the am on an empty stomach

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Calculate your upper and lower heart rate limits and stick to it.
    You cant focus in unless you know your zone.

Jogging will prolly be in that zone but make sure, i find that most of the time i tend to work harder than i need to if i dont watch it.

Decoder is offline Banned
    There is that empty stomache bullshit again ;\

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Fuck all the catabolic cortisol etc bullshit.
    Its more efficient. Thats all I care. With a good high protein diet youre on your way.

numbers505 is offline New Member
    ECA really gets me motivated to run... since it makes me a bit fidgety running feels really good too.... maybe get a heart rate monitor and try to keep your bpm in the 65-75% max. range for 30 min, 3-4 days/wk.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    tell me why you think working on an empty stomach is wrong?

without fuel in there it would make sense to me that you have to draw from somewhere else.

I dont know all the science but what i suggest does work. maybe not for everyone but the exercise methods are NOT the same for a fit person and a fat person.

lean and fit people have to really work extra hard to lose 5 pounds when a fat guy can just change a few things.

there are no absolutes in working out it seems, just find what works for you and go with it.

yellows2k is offline Member
    You will burn the most fat in the AM, but you will burn the most muscle too DUE to the fact your body is extremely catabolic. All the cardio in the world won't do shit if your diet isn't right. The best way to spare lean body mass is to eat 500 below maintenance without cardio given that you can eat clean. Most likely you don't eat clean and therefore cardio will have to be done.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i beg to differ on the walking "bullshit"
    Look at MikeXXL, if you have read his posts he says he walks the tred mill. Look at his figure!!!
    abstrack@protonmail.com

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Here we go with some name calling and pointing fingers. can't we explain each of our opinions without people saying "well that or this si bullshit"? Come on guys.....we're all mature so lets start acting like it. I'm tired of all the flaming that goes on on this board.

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    energy is not stored in the stomach! its stored in the glycogen stores which can still be fueled from the day befores simple carbs. I personally find it better to do cardio am before i eat, thats how i do it and it works for me. I use eca also for a boost when low or no carbing it, just to get me through.

peace

en1222 is offline Member
    Say if is impossbile to do cardio in morning? I only can do it at night but i do it 5 times a week for about 30-40 mins.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    do it after your weight training workout

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by abstrack
    i beg to differ on the walking "bullshit"
    Look at MikeXXL, if you have read his posts he says he walks the tred mill. Look at his figure!!!
    I agree

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Here we go with some name calling and pointing fingers. can't we explain each of our opinions without people saying "well that or this si bullshit"? Come on guys.....we're all mature so lets start acting like it. I'm tired of all the flaming that goes on on this board.
    Took the words right out of my mouth

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I like cardio in the am..before I eat..only because I eat every two hours and it's the only time there's no food in me. I also do interval training a few times a week, this seems to be more efficient for me. I keep my heartrate in the zone tho..I have to work too hard for my muscle

kc

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Yung Wun
    do it after your weight training workout [/QUO

I have heard this before. Why do some people suggest that you weight train prior to cardio? I use the 30 mins of cardio as a warm-up for lifting.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Southern Cross
    Originally posted by Yung Wun
    do it after your weight training workout [/QUO

I have heard this before. Why do some people suggest that you weight train prior to cardio? I use the 30 mins of cardio as a warm-up for lifting.
    The theory is that the weight lifting will deplete your glycogen stores so when you do your cardio you will tap more into the fat stores.

Pain

It's all about calories in vs calories out

You don't NEED cardio to lose fat
    but YOU DO NEED a diet to lose fat

Originally posted by painintheazz

The theory is that the weight lifting will deplete your glycogen stores so when you do your cardio you will tap more into the fat stores.

Pain
    Pain do you agree with this theory?

Originally posted by yellows2k
    It's all about calories in vs calories out

You don't NEED cardio to lose fat
    but YOU DO NEED a diet to lose fat
    Yellow I don't know about this. I was running at 1000 less than my BMR and did not lose a pound in over 2 months.

This was preceeded by a good period of rapid weight loss in the area of 20lbs.

The scenario above is what brought me to this forum.

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Pain do you agree with this theory?
    This isn't a theory. Weight lifting will deplete glycogen stores. The reason why you don't do cardio beforehand is that if you do it before, your body will use the glycogen as the main energy source instead of fat. You want to use the glycogen when you are lifting.

And as far as calories in vs. out, if you follow a strict diet with no cheating, theoretically it should work. But most people cannot do this so cardio supplements the diet in helping to lose fat. The reason why too much cardio is bad, is that it's a catabolic activity and also when you do cardio, your body produces less testosterone from my understanding. And of course, it hinders in the recovery process of your muscles.

I do agree with that theory (lifting and glycogen, I used to do this and had good results, muscles always looked flat though becuase I didnt get a good post workout meal in me) As for the cardio theory yes in theory it should work but what isn't included is the theory that your metabolism will eventual adjust to this lowered calorie state (your body isn't stupid) this will make weight loss progressively harder. Doing cardio will help push you past this bubble. And yes cardio is supposed to be catabolic and lower test levels, but I still do it even when bulking, I feel better when I do cardio, I think it is the increase in oxygen/blood going to my muscles (helps me repair quicker) and it also increases my metabolism, helps me process and use more of that lovely food I eat. I don't do very intense cardio so I don't worry about the catabolic effects of it. I think in a range of 60-70% MHR you dont really enter into a catabolic state unless you go for a prolonged period of time (over an hour). Those are my feelings and knowledge on that subject. Anyone have anything to add??

Pain

georgie24 is offline Member
    WATCH FOR MUSCLE LOSS

Originally posted by painintheazz
    I do agree with that theory (lifting and glycogen, I used to do this and had good results, muscles always looked flat though becuase I didnt get a good post workout meal in me) As for the cardio theory yes in theory it should work but what isn't included is the theory that your metabolism will eventual adjust to this lowered calorie state (your body isn't stupid) this will make weight loss progressively harder. Doing cardio will help push you past this bubble. And yes cardio is supposed to be catabolic and lower test levels, but I still do it even when bulking, I feel better when I do cardio, I think it is the increase in oxygen/blood going to my muscles (helps me repair quicker) and it also increases my metabolism, helps me process and use more of that lovely food I eat. I don't do very intense cardio so I don't worry about the catabolic effects of it. I think in a range of 60-70% MHR you dont really enter into a catabolic state unless you go for a prolonged period of time (over an hour). Those are my feelings and knowledge on that subject. Anyone have anything to add??

Pain
    Yes I do cardio also even when bulking, just for my confidence and also to keep my heart in check. As far your body getting used to the calories, you can calorie cycle/carb cycle. But I think for the most part, you SHOULD include cardio no matter what phase you are in. I just think too much isn't good even when you are cutting. And as for me I do 15-20 min of HIIT cardio 3-4 times a week.

Originally posted by yellows2k

This isn't a theory. Weight lifting will deplete glycogen stores. The reason why you don't do cardio beforehand is that if you do it before, your body will use the glycogen as the main energy source instead of fat. You want to use the glycogen when you are lifting.

And as far as calories in vs. out, if you follow a strict diet with no cheating, theoretically it should work. But most people cannot do this so cardio supplements the diet in helping to lose fat. The reason why too much cardio is bad, is that it's a catabolic activity and also when you do cardio, your body produces less testosterone from my understanding. And of course, it hinders in the recovery process of your muscles.
    Why doesn't the body use fat as it's energy source when you are lifting?
    If the body does use fat as source while lifting, why is glycogen prefered?

The bodies prefered energy source is glycogen, it will be for most people, I would say 99%. Therefor when you are lifting, granted you have had food prior to the workout, there will be glycogen in your blood and your body will use this first for energy, nothing you can do about it. But if you do lift weights after a fasting period (sleep) your body will be clear of glycogen and then go for the fat.

Pain

Thread Information