SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member

Question I hate to ask, but... glycerine?

I hate to ask because I know it's been discussed before, but with a search I couldn't find any real answer...

Query: I do like having a protein bar a day most days of the week, they kill my craving for sweets. Looking at the bar, it has 3g "real" carbs and 29g Glycerine carbs.

When figuring out daily numbers for cutting... do I count those as sugar carbs? Would I ignore them as if they were fiber? Adding the calories, of course. But I'm trying to keep daily carb count limited and wondering how this would affect the grand scheme of things. Also would factor in when I would eat the thing.

Is it anything to consider, or is it just plain old calories without much other value?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Glycerine and sugar alcohols are a strange creature. From my research on them I have found that they are carbs only really because they have 4cals/gram and the FDA wants them labeled as carbs. Some people feel they are more like a fat. As for what they are I don't really know. I do know they don't effect insulin levels. Which is great for when you are cutting and why bars love putting that Net Carbs number all over the wrappers. For me I have switched over to a lot of diabetic foods when I am cutting (diabetic foods contain this product because it doesn't effect insulin levels) I am having great results with it. I still count them in my total calories but I don't count them toward my carb/sugar levels. BTW I have found that controling insulin levels is the most importing thing for me when cutting, even when just eating in general, slin has a very strong impact on my bodyfat levels. So IMO I take them as just calories and I have been getting very good results on my low carb cutting diet. Hope this helps.

Pain

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

YUP

100% agreed on that one!
    ~SC~

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Cool, that sounds good then- pretty much what I figured (and hoped).

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    what are some good diabetic foods?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    A company 50fifty makes some really good products. There are also a few others that are good too. Check out, http://www11.netrition.com/lowcarb_page.html
    Tons of low carb, diabetic foods.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Thanks Pain, gonna check 'em out.

Thread Information