Thread: Check this Diet

e cruz is offline New Member

Help this Diet

ok fellas need to know what you think ? 5'7'' 140 15%bf i'd like to gain some good muscle and keep my bf% down dont want to gain any more fat or keep fat to a minnimum. this is my diet i'll swicth chicken breasts for turkey some days and also my steak for salmon or extra extra lean gnd meat or turkey
    please pick it apart and add anything you guys think would help
    30 min cardio right when i get up

8:00am
    1/2cp oatmeal W/fatfree milk
    2 eggwhites
    2 wholeeggs
    cal340/ carb27/ pro28/ fat6/

11:30
    3oz tuna
    2 slice whole wh brd
    1/2 cp of low fat cottage chs
    cal317/ carb25/ pro41/ fat7/

3:00
    8oz brn rice
    3oz chicken breast
    1/2cp veggies broc/carrots
    call400/ carb59/ pro32/ fat4/

5:00
    workout

6:30
    3oz steak
    2 baked potato
    cal485/ carb71/ pro37/ fat8/

10:00
    2tbls natural peanut butter
    1 whole egg
    1cp fatfree milk
    cal345/ carb219/ pro22/ fat21/

before bed
    1protien shake wh flaxseed oil
    2 total for day 1 after work out w flax also.
    cal200/ carb5/ pro50/ fat4/

TOTAL FOR DAY=
    cal2240/ carb200/ pro208/ fat48/

anything you can add + + +

Last edited by e cruz; 02-17-2003 at 09:58 AM.

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    I would say through down some creatine and glutimine if you tring to gain. You might have to play around alittle bit with your diet. add more carbs in the morning meals, see if u gain some size or fat. just see howu your body works and increase or decrease your carbs and calories depending on personal goals. 1 big thing i see is right after you lift you should have a 40g protien shake with 35-60g of simple carbs (sugars, dextrose). That is a must and if you not doing that then thats a big reason why u may not be gaining as much muscle. then 1 hour after your shake and carbs have your 630 meal. maybe add anthor shake or to throughout the day to up the calories and more protein

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    1.) Remove the rice from your 3 o'clock meal
    2.) Bump up the oats in your first meal to the carbs you took away from the 3 pm meal
    3.) Add some whey protein in your oatmeal
    4.) Eat the steak for the 3 pm meal with a sweet potato
    5.) Eat the chicken breast for the 630 pm meal with a sweet potato
    6.) Try tuna late at night instead of a whey drink as tuna is a slower releasing protein source (can go a step further and combine some flax oil w/ the tuna)
    7.) Most importantly, have a post-workout drink (PWO) immediatly following your workout. As Keightly said go with a shake consisting of around 40 grams of protein and 35-60 grams of dextrose.

Hope this helps, Good luck to ya....Usualsuspect

Rich8888 is offline Member
    e....IMO you need more protein, less fat and carbs.

Increase the portions across the board to 8oz.

You need to add another meal into the program.
    Schedule like this:

8am...10:30am....1:00pm....3:30pm.....workout....6 :30pm....9pm

All Lean meat portions = 8 oz...including tuna...lean meat is desirable
    Brown rice. Barley or other whole grains with the meat = 1 cup
    8 am 8 egg white 0 yolks and 3/4 cup oatmeal/bran
    1:00 meal add a portion of green veggie
    3:30 meal include a portion of baked or sweet potato
    CUT OUT the peanut butter.....bread (proceesed grains, flour), cottage cheese and potato at night
    6:30 meal can be 8-10 egg whites or 8oz of lean meat

Try this on for size for about 6 weeks.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    Looks good to me, looks simple & healthy, no sense in over-analizing it.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    why add the flax right add bed time??
    abstrack@protonmail.com

ok fellas does this diet look a little more promising please add any thing you think may help
    30 min cardio right when i get up.

8:00am
    1cp oatmeal W/fatfree milkand whey
    4 eggwhites

cal315/ carb45/ pro35/ fat1/

10:30
    3oz tuna
    1/2 cp of low fat cottage chs

cal197/ carb3/ pro38/ fat5/

1:00
    whey shake w/flax
    1/2 cp veggies

cal310/carb3/pro35/fat0

3:30
    4-5oz steak
    1 sweet potato

cal255/ carb20/ pro31/ fat7/

5:00 workout
    post whey shake w/dextrose
    45 min later <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> /<a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=GLUTAMINE" target="_blank">glutamine</a> drink

cal310/carb4/pro35/fat0

6:30
    4oz chicken breast
    1 sweet potato

cal220/ carb20/ pro28/ fat2/

10:30 before bed
    3oz tuna/w flax
    1cp fatfree milk

cal315/ carb12/ pro31/ fat2/

TOTAL FOR DAY=
    cal1922/ carb109/ pro234/ fat17/

i think i may need some more call anything you can add thanks
    Last edited by e cruz; 02-17-2003 at 04:48 PM.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    At least a cup of oats to start your day...remember your body is in a catabolic state from fasting all night long. Other then that everything looks good.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by usualsuspect
    At least a cup of oats to start your day...remember your body is in a catabolic state from fasting all night long. Other then that everything looks good.
    So wouldn't you want something a little faster on the GI index than oats?? I still use my oats in the morning but I put raisins in it and have a banana.

Pain

Dude......you need to increase the size of your portions....3, 4 and 5 ounce servings is birdfeed.

cut the cottage cheese it is wasted food...add more lean meat portions
    Increase egg whites in the morning to at least 6.

If you combine some of the input from Usualsuspect and me, you will have a kick ass program as a base to get big, lean and strong.

Originally posted by Rich8888

cut the cottage cheese it is wasted food...add more lean meat portions
    Increase egg whites in the morning to at least 6.

Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, low carbs, low fat. Plus it is very slow to digest!!! And cheap too.

Pain

i was thinking of maybe adding some olive oil or more flax to up my calorie intake

Bro....stick with lean meat...a better source of protein for the kind of program you are talking about. Cottage cheese is a good food source for a low cal, moderate protein program when trying to lose weight ans slim down. . Dairy as a food source is not as desirable for gaining lean muscle mass as other protein sources.

Bro....stick with lean meat...a better source of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a></a> for the kind of program you are talking about. Cottage cheese is a good food source for a low cal, moderate <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a></a> program when trying to lose weight ans slim down. . Dairy as a food source is not as desirable for gaining lean muscle mass as other <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a></a> sources.
    How do you figure it is only good for low cal diet. 1/2 cup has 30g protein, 12g carbs and 5g fat. That is more calories than an equivilant amount of protein found in chicken or tuna!! You need a wide variaty of protein in your diet. Eating only meat will not make you any bigger than eating a variety of proteins.. BTW cottage cheese is mainly made up of casien protein, the slowest to digest, helps feed your muscles longer than other sources and it has a BV value of 91% while meat proteins have a BV of 80. I think you should really do a little research into different types of proteins and see what they have to say about the different sources.

Pain

Pain
    Last edited by painintheazz; 02-17-2003 at 06:44 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I don't really know what to tell you. I guess i won't comment much, but i'll first state that i don't like the "lean bulk" diet at all. If you're 5'7 140 lbs at 15%BF then i might rethink what you are doing. I'm not trying to flame you, but thats not a whole lot of muscle, and quite simply, it takes forever to gain muscle on a lean bulk diet.

Most of the guys that lean bulk are usually endomorph's that had a bitch of a time gettin down to the 6-7% range and just want to stay there because dieting really sucks for em.

If it was me, quite simply, i would continue to do bulking cycles and cutting cycles until i was satisfied with where i was. Once i was there, then i would do a lean bulk. So if u're happy with where you are, then i say go ahead with the diet, because you will change very little once you're on it.

Now with my lecture being over, your postworkout meal kinda got messed up. You're definitely going to need some more protein there however and possibly some more complex carbs(# of carbs is up to you).

I think some of your #'s are going to be off, because i think you got the #'s for tuna wrong. I have a can of tuna here that has 3 servings, with one serving=2oz=13g of protein. So you just want to quickly recheck that.

I think that it is good to combine the tuna and cottage cheese in a meal like you have. Like pain said, tuna is a medium digesting protein and cottage cheese is slow digesting protein, so i'd keep that meal like it is.

However, if i had to choose between cottage cheese or lean meat, and i could only pick one, i would pick the lean meat.

I think you have a good base diet to work off of with the 7 meals including protein at every meal. So see how it works, and make the changes accordingly, it sounds like you know enough to figure out what changes you need to make.

Pain....this is not a pissing contest with you bro about who knows more about ptotein and diet!!! This is about helping a bro who has a need to satisfy a goal. I am more than happy to diiscuss the finer points of nutrition and consumption with you any time you like, simply PM me and we can chat.

However for the purpoare of helping E-Cruz please let's alert him to the fact that cottage cheese per 1/2 cup serving or 120g serving is 15% saturated fat, 3g of sugar and only 13g of protein.

Pain....this is not a pissing contest with you bro about who knows more about ptotein and diet!!! This is about helping a bro who has a need to satisfy a goal. I am more than happy to diiscuss the finer points of nutrition and consumption with you any time you like, simply PM me and we can chat.

However for the purpoare of helping E-Cruz please let's alert him to the fact that cottage cheese per 1/2 cup serving or 120g serving is 15% saturated fat, 3g of sugar and only 13g of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>.
    I never said it was a pissing contest (if anything protein deserves to be a farting contest IMO), I just put some info out there for the bro to read, don't get pissy at me because I know where to find BV% on protein. I am sure most bro's on the board do, I put it out there as a disscussion and an alternative diet method. I never once said that your diet sucked and you should put cottage cheese in it or it sucked, I simply said cottage cheese is a good source of protein, for whatever you are doing, cutting or bulking!!! I was just trying to help a bro who has a need to satisfy a goal!! I never stepped in and said anything about the macro outline of the diet. I am just giving little pointers and helpful hints that I have found to work for me!

And yes I was wrong on my numbers the numbers I quoted were for a full cup (not 1/2 cup) of my personal fav Breakstones 2%, I was off because I usually eat 1/2 the tub and that is 1 cup. Sorry tought day at work.

You got a PM bro.

Pain

thanks for all your advice fellas iv'e changed it a little tell me if this is any better or worse for starters iv'e up'ed my portions on some things

CHANGED
    From 4-5 oz steak to 7-8oz

from 4oz chicken breast to 8 oz

from 4 egg whites to 6

took cup of milk out at night

and a bannana in one shake

these are my new Totals cal2372/carb140/pro284/fat29/wflax64.

Let me Know ............
    Last edited by e cruz; 02-19-2003 at 05:11 PM.

try this maybe, 8 - 1030 - 1 - 330 - workout - 630 - 9 eating
    1/2 cup of oat meal
    2 scoop whey shake
    protein bar
    chicken breast or lean ground turkey with mized vegitables
    tuna fish, chicken, turkey, on 100% whole wheat with some low fat or fat free mayo
    post work out shake
    40g of protein
    60g-100g simple carbs
    can of tuna fish with low fat mayo
    couple egg whites
    before bed
    2 scoops designer whey glyerlean time release shake
    if you wake up in the middle of the night have a diet soda to make you feel full or some sugar free jello. all diet soda isnt bad. if you worried at all about water retention diet sprite and diet seiraa mist are best, they have hardly any phosphic acid.
    maybe have some creatine 5g in your post work out shake, maybe take a stacker and xenedrine before you workout for more energy, take 3 vit c a day , 2 multis vit/min, efa first thing in the morning. you do that you shuold be good. have a cheat meal here and there. no more then 2 a week. as my man painintheazz said an insulin spike first thing in the morning would prob be ok, you could through raisins in ur oatmeal or have a heathly granola bar with your oats. to make you oats better through a packet of sweet and low in with the oats. the fat free or hienmans just 2 g fat mayo with mabe some low sodium barbeque sauce really makes it good. make sure if you decide to eat wheat break that you get 100% whole wheat, not the bull shit wheat

and i agree with e cruz , up your portions alittle, you may think at first that the lower portions will help you loose bf%, it wont, if anything youll be starving yourself and that will intern slow you matabolism like you would not believe!

Thread Information