Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with diet ....please

Ok, for the last week I have been reading this diet section, among others, and feel I got a handle on things. I need some help though.

First off I am trying to cut bodyfat.

Second, I am not so into this that I am going to measure every bit of food, and eat the same thing, at same time, every day.

I know that I need to eat about every 2 to 2 and a half hours throughout the day. I have learned form reading this board some of the foods I need to eat.

Here is my shopping list so far:

Peanuts, unsalted and roasted
    natural peanut butter
    onions, for when I cook salmon at night
    green beans, corn, carrots, brocoli (for dinner)
    salmon
    tuna
    wheat bread
    eggs
    lowfat beef jerkey
    chicken breast, bonless/skinless
    brown rice
    skim milk
    oranges
    banannas
    apples
    nutrigrain bars
    oatmeal, no additives
    lean turkey lunch meat....to eat plain, no bread
    protein bars

What else could I buy that would be helpful to eat.

I am 5'8" 192 pounds, I was 187 lbs, then I started lifting, I know I didn't gain fat becuse my jeans got looser not tighter.
    I have been lifting 6 days a week, (intensely for 2 months).

I don't know what my body fat is, I had it tested at ballies total fitness and it was 19%. That was before 2 months of weight lifting (intesely).
    I tested it today on a scale at my house and it said 24%. So, I have no idea if it has gone down or not. I know It didn't go up. How accurate bally's bf testers are I don't know. It was the one you hold in your hands out in front of you.

Anyway, just looking for some more food to put on the list.

And, after I go shopping, I could probaly use a little help on when to eat what. I don't like to eat the same thing for each meal, every day, so I won;t need to much specific help on what to eat when. I will need some help on what types of food to eat at what times.

THis board is simply the best thing. You know....for every intrest, hobby I have, there is one of these forums. I always learn so much from these. Thank god for the internet!!!!!

Oh yea, forgot to mention that I drink 3 45 gram whey proteins a day. Once in the morning, once after I workout, and once before bed.

I also drink creatine 2 times a day.(EAS phosfagen hp with transport) Once an hour before my workout and once right after my workout. The EAS has enough sugar in it to provide me with the dextrose I need.

xenithon is offline Member
    i will add more comments later on - just out of the house so don't have much time

just first quick glance reactions: since you are cutting bodyfat - minimize the fruits, the bars (nutrigrain = sugar, protein bars = hidden calories), and try and get more real food rather than shakes. 3 isn't that bad, but I think you are better off with a good solid protein source in the morning, and have a shake post workout and before bed - but if you can get a blended protein for before bed, not whey (too quick). if you cant then perhaps get some fat free low sodium cottage cheese for before bed. and one more quickie - where are the EFA's ?? get some flax oil, perhaps some grape seed oil, walnut oil, almond oil etc. - they come in VERY useful whilst cutting

Ok, so falx seed oil.... say mixed with my mid morning cup of oatmeal?

Cut the protein drink in the morning, and add a multi protein shake before bed. What is a good multi protein shake?

No fruit in the morning? Are you saying cut the fruits becuse of the carbs in them, or is it becuse of the KIND OF carbs that are in fruits?

Also, with this diet set up for cutting, will I still be able to add muscle, or am I wasting time in the gym doing these INTENSE workouts?

Also, when they say no carbs after 5, does that include veggies?

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    You are not wasting time doing intense workouts at all bro... However i would be sure to keep it short, intense, heavy, strict form and hard squeeze... Just make sure you are not overtraining yourself... As for your shopping list looks pretty good time your meals out precisely so that your body will be able to burn fat while building muscle...Run a search for postworkout nutrition that will be your main meal in addition to breakfast and the meal after postworkout...ill comment more in the morning..peace

xenithon is offline Member
    once again outta the house, but can add a few more comments now

flax oil = great but NOT with oats. reasoning - have fats with protein, and carbs with protein, dont have carbs with fats. I'd say add the flax to your protein before bed. mixed protein - get something with at least 3 different sources of protein. the best would be a blend of the 4 main ones: whey, casein, egg, soy. this gives a nice nutrient profile and slow digestion time. the flax oil with it at nights helps slow digestion as well. fruits - the type of carbs. mainly fructose, which is not the best of choices at all. especially since you are cutting I would avoid all sugars if possible except post workout. finally the veggies - fibrous ones are good. they slow digestion of protein, have great nutrients, and can give a lot of bulk and thus fill you up. I always have fibrous veggies in my evening meals, except with the shake before bed. example I would have a salmon steak with a bowl of broccoli at about 8pm, and have my shake with flax before bed at around 11-12.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry xenithon bro but I don't agree (well with only one thing). You say not to have fats and carbs. I think having fats with carbs is a great idea because it slows down the insulin responce process, effectively lowering the GI value of the carbs (this is what you want when cutting, insulin is our enemy when cutting, messes up our ability to get a fat stores and spikes will cause hunger pangs.). This is good for everytime except post workout. Fats slow down the stomach emptying process.

Pain

What about cheerios? Are they a good source of oats or not?

Cheerios are ok, there are better choices though. But if you love cheerios and eating them is easier than all-bran or something like that, then you will probably stick to your diet longer with cheerios and I would recomend them. They do have a high GI value though, 74.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    "Hi, I lowered my cholesterol today." Cheerios comm.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    i agree, minimize your breads and fruit and protein bars. the real, unprocessed fruit, however i'd eat in moderation but keep, it'll add variety to your diet, as well as vits. All my carbs after 6pm are from veggies, usually low carb veggies like broccolli, green beans, spinach etc..except if i lift after work..then i'll have a sweet potato. I've learned from experience that EFAs are very very important. Try to get some 3's, some 6's and 9's....i've been using flax oil, fish oil and primrose caps. Here's a little hint with flax...just shoot it, then chase with a shot of OJ, it'll kill the taste completely (unless you burp ) It's really helped my tolerance for it.

If you don't breath when you take your Flax you can't taste it either.

Pain

Originally posted by mnkc
    Here's a little hint with flax...just shoot it, then chase with a shot of OJ, it'll kill the taste completely (unless you burp ) It's really helped my tolerance for it.
    I'm telling ya, you keep talking like that and you'll steal my heart away!

I know the first time I downed some flax.....I damn near spewed all over the kitchen! The things we put ourselves through......

The best ceareal in my opinion is All Bran, you can cut up a bannana, use skim milk and it tatse pretty good for having a billion grams of fiber and no sugar, (cept for the bannana and milk of course). I like eating a good bit of fiber if i can. going form eating alot of meat to alot of shakes can confuse your intestines and its good to keep everything moving if you can.

And just think of fat and fiber as buffers against digestion. And plan to incorperate them when slow digestion is desired. SO after workout protien would be a bad time for fat. But before bed wouldnt be so naughty. And blunting the insuling response as pain said is a nice idea to. but its a fine line. If you eat to many simple carbs your insulin is gonna spike no matter what, and youd be smart not to have a tummy full of fat when that happens. So no candy bars, or french fries ( freedom fries??) with coke and crap.

kc
    LMAO! I whined and moaned and complained to myself everytime i had to take it...then my bartender skills came to me! Tequilla with lemon, vodka with lemon, jag with coke...flax with SOMETHING..so i tried lemon..don't do that! Then as I was cleaning the kitchen one day with an orange cleaner stuff....aaahhhh, orange cuts oil...flax oil...OJ! lol, saved my EFA life!

kc
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN

I'm telling ya, you keep talking like that and you'll steal my heart away!

careful, you let that happen once, you'll never be the same

Originally posted by BrokenBricks
    If you eat to many simple carbs your insulin is gonna spike no matter what, and youd be smart not to have a tummy full of fat when that happens. So no candy bars, or french fries ( freedom fries??) with coke and crap.
    LOL, I hope people weren't taking my advice as a way to get around the sugar problem. haha.

I'll behave......lol

I am starting to get a little of this. Now all this is for cutting, right?

I really want to drop as much FAT as possible by summer.

Any suggestions on a book that list the GI index, grams of carbs, sugars, fat, protein, ect ect on all foods?

I figure this will be the most important tool in making my diet.

Also, how do I tell what how many calories are from carbs, proteins, and so on? Or is that important?

When you guys say oats, what do you mean by that. Can I go to my healthfood store and ask for oats?

Does flax seed oil have all the EFA'S in it?

I gave it a slight shot today, just so I could post what I ate and you guys could critique. I wll post when I get home.

"I am starting to get a little of this. Now all this is for cutting, right?"
    yeap

"Any suggestions on a book that list the GI index, grams of carbs, sugars, fat, protein, ect ect on all foods?"

www.calorieking.com has a nutritional break down for most everything that isnt labeled in stores, but most everything in the grocery store is labeled. As far as GI index, not sure, for the most part just use your head, its not that crucial. Dont drink sugar (coke, syrup) or eat candy. For more organic stuff, the whiter it is, the higher GI it tends to have.

"When you guys say oats, what do you mean by that. Can I go to my healthfood store and ask for oats?"

They mean the round tube of quaker oats with the guy that looks like Ben Franklin on it. Not the flavored ones. Its in the cereal isle.

"Does flax seed oil have all the EFA'S in it?"
    yeap

Good book about GI indexes and whatnot, "The New Glucose Revolution" A very very good book. They also have some pocket GI tables and stuff too.

Pain

"They mean the round tube of quaker oats with the guy that looks like Ben Franklin on it. Not the flavored ones. Its in the cereal isle.

yeap
    You guys eat those dry? We're talking oatmeal here, right?

Pain, does that book your talking about break down grams of carbs, proteins and fat and so on?

Yes its oatmeal, but the box says oats im pretty sure.

No not dry, just like the flavored ones, boil in water ect..its on the box...most people add somthing (peanut butter or whatever), im gonna douse it in cinnamon tomorrow and try that.

Yes its oatmeal, but the box says oats im pretty sure.

No not dry, just like the flavored ones, boil in water ect..its on the box...most people add somthing (peanut butter or whatever), im gonna douse it in cinnamon tomorrow and try that.
    I have eaten the oats dry and it is OK, making it hot oatmeal style is much better. My favorite addins, equal, sugarfree maple syrup, PB, cinnamon, Sugarfree jelly, raisins, or protein powder. YUMMY. Get the slow cook ones, much lower GI rating than instant, esp flavored instant.

Pain

Hey pain, what about that book? Does it brake down the grams for carbs, protein, fat ect ect?

Oh yea, and what about rice or corn cakes? The quaker oat ones.

How in the hell do I search for GI index.

GI is under the letter minimum.

What does gi stand for?

It doesn't break down the protein and fats, but it does give the total carbs in a serving. Rice and corn cakes have huge GI values, 80 - 90.

Glycemic Index is what it stands for, search on yahoo and you should be able to find some charts.

Pain

I am going to do a search on this sight to learn more about it. It is based on carbs right (GI index)?

The corn cakes I have gotten begore had low carbs, so they should have a low gi right?

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    Xenathon was right do not mix your fats and carbs... Your body is able to utilize both of them for energy and in turn if you have both present the leftover will quickly be stored as fat. I know of several nutrition gurus that you to are very familiar with who suggest the same.

Originally posted by Vibrantred94gt
    I am going to do a search on this sight to learn more about it. It is based on carbs right (GI index)?

The corn cakes I have gotten begore had low carbs, so they should have a low gi right?
    If they have no carbs I would say they have no GI. Most foods with no carbs have no GI. And yes the GI is based on carbs.

Pain

Thanks pain. I am headed shopping right now.

Originally posted by FKITLETSGO
    Xenathon was right do not mix your fats and carbs... Your body is able to utilize both of them for energy and in turn if you have both present the leftover will quickly be stored as fat. I know of several nutrition gurus that you to are very familiar with who suggest the same.
    But in a low carb, low calorie diet you shouldn't be eating enough of both at the same time as for them to be stored as excess fat anyway. I understand were you are coming from and it does make sense. If you are getting high amounts of carbs then this will definently be the case, but in a low carb diet I don't think you will be getting enough energy from both of them at one sitting to be stored as fat.

Pain

"The corn cakes I have gotten begore had low carbs, so they should have a low gi right?"

Well, if by low carbs you mean that the %of the wieght that is carbs is low that yes chances are its got a low gi. But if there is no digestable matterial in them except for the carbs than the GI wont be affected.
    For instance a coke only has about 38 grams of sugar, which is not alot compared with its weight of a few hundred grams. But it still is high GI.

I know that rice cakes are ridiculously high on the GI scale.

ok, as of now, this is my food supply

Peanuts, dry unsalted
    natural Peanut butter
    tuna
    natural wheat bread, made with sprouts, not flour
    eggs
    turkey breast (lunch meat)
    Oatmeal
    brown rice
    fat free cottage cheese
    Skim milk
    cheerios

This is what I have for the day time, I have salmon and chicken breast with stir fry and other veggies for dinner.

I start my day in the gym at 5:45 am and leave at 6:15am. Don't eat for 45min to an hour after that.(That is my cardio session)

So, I normally eat about 7:00 7:15 for the first time in the day.

I go to the gym after work at 3:30pm.

Can you give me a example of what you would do with this food and this schedule?

Oh yea, whey protein and creatine with transport are on the supply list as well. I drink a creatine about 2:30 or 3:00pm before the gym, and then one right after. Also, protein right after the work out of course.

Where did you guys all go. I was hoping to see what you guys said about when and what to eat....roughtly....so I could see how I should eat tomorrow.

I kind of got an idea, buy would very much like the pros to confirm for me so I know I am doing it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information