nguadagno is offline Associate Member

Need Help, Please for the Love of God

hey guys, im new here, even though ive been reading here for some time now, i finally decided to make an account

stats
    5'6"-5'7"
    148 lbs
    BF% unsure, not too high though, i was extremely skinny before working out
    do not know BMR or TDEE because i do not know my BF%

ive been working out for about a year or so now, only taken it very seriously the past 7 months, i go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, and im trying to figure my diet out

SO FAR, i have a what i would consider an okay diet, for breakfast i eat 4 or 5 scrambled eggs, sometimes hard boiled egg whites, depending on what mood im in or want to mix it up, followed by 3 packets of instant oatmeal, and a 16oz glass of milk

normally i have class so later in the day i end up eating like bagels or things like that, simple foods that i can get my hands on, or egg sandwiches because i have class so i cant just be like oh let me run home and steam up some vegetables, i dont have the time for that, i work and its very hard to keep a strict diet

I do tend to eat good protein sources throughout the day, i drink milk, i eat lots of eggs, i eat chicken (sandwiches with lettuce and ranch cause there delicious)

i just need someone to help me lay out a diet for myself (not ridiculously strict because im in college and dont have a shit ton of money to just be running out and buying bison sirloins everyday) and help me along with simple foods that can help me get the job done

Im looking to bulk up gain some mass, i know i can cut whenever i want because i have a very high metabolism and if i were to be any sort of body type i would definitely be more on the ectomorphic side, i get the basics of dieting and macronutrients, the basic characteristics of proteins and carbs and fats, and i understand all that jazz, i just need some help laying this stuff out

help would be appreciated, thank you
    Last edited by nguadagno; 03-09-2011 at 11:36 PM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    look at the sticky notes in the diet section. do some homework for yourself and come up with an everyday diet with protein/fats/carbs and these guys will chime in. look at some of the diets around here and try to come up with a daily routine. chicken and tuna are cheap, so try to get most of your protein from these sources. and a bucket of oats will not break the bank. i wish i would have found this website when i was in college! just go thru the stuff at the top of the diet section and it will help out.

yeah ive been reading, but i see so many different opinions on things, some people are saying peanut butter is too fattening some say you should have it for the essential fats, some say that pasta is bad some say its good, its just confusing as f*ck

oh and my BMR, just figured it out, is 3139

read the bulking one. i wish was trying to gain mass, so much easier than trying to cut like me. pasta is good for you, just depends on what it is made of and where is it in your diet. what is your TDEE? that will help determine how many calories you need in order to gain LBM (lean body mass). if you eat over your TDEE, then you will gain, under, and lose. i am telling you to post a diet with macros and everything and people will help. patience son

no yeah i know, its just i dont have a like STRICT timely diet, i eat when i can cause idk everyone seems to have like a ton of time on their hands to just cook stuff up, idk how they do it haha

i work anywhere from 8-10 hours a day. i am pretty sure you are not in school for that long! make the time to prepare your food before time, this is the only thing that helps me eat correctly. when i don't have my meals prepared, i eat bad. i get up at 5 every morning to get my day going. and no, its not everyday but i try like hell! so its what you want to make of it, nobody is going to make time for you!

yeah im definitely gonna start getting my ass up early and preparing all this, im trying to take this very seriously, thanks for the advice dude

no problem. trust me, this shit isn't easy at all! i still struggle thru it everyday.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Definitely read the sticky's and tons of threads in this section. You'll find the answers to 99% of your questions. Post up your diet and training regimen and we can help you sort it out.

yeah im gonna, i just feel like its almost impossible to like, stick to a strict diet at my age, like idk

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Sticking to a strict diet is all about discipline. Just like anything else, if you're doubting your ability to do it, then you will definitely fail. Keep your mind on the objective. Not sure if I read your post right, but at 148 lbs, I don't know how you came up with a BMR of 3,100??

i think i did it right, im almost positive, i am under the category of very active if that matters, i work out 4-6 times a week and i play rugby, so i figured that counted

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by nguadagno View Post
    yeah im gonna, i just feel like its almost impossible to like, stick to a strict diet at my age, like idk
    That's BS... what does your age have to do with it? If you want it, you'll make it happen, period.

gettingthere is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nguadagno View Post
    Bad move, dont use that excuse around here!! i understand where your coming from about at your age and eating correctly.

You have to do a few things to make it work
    1. Read the stickys......twice...then a third time
    2. Post up your proposed diet (with macros) and dont go half assed about it, post it all up, even the stuff that you might no think matters....you will get all the help you need here.
    3. Take the advice you get and use it, dont give up.
    4. Make sure you know your goal and stick with it, if its bulking then bulk, if its cutting then cut....you cant really do both
    5. Tell your parents what your doing, get them behind it and interested, it makes eating and food choices easier.
    6. Prepare food for days in advance, at least 2 days in advance so that after class you dont end up eating crap, eat what you prepared.
    7. Keep a log on here for support and more help, post pictures, workout logs whatever you want.
    8. DONT GIVE UP

I fell victim to so many of these points, im still learning but feel i have got so much knowledge from this site its brilliant and the people here will truly treat you right and help you out as long as they see you put the effort in. Iv been here a long time now and i have had my balls bust by a number of guys, gbrice especially told me what i needed to hear and gave me that kick up the ass. all the guys are glad to help and have extreme knowledge.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Not gonna lie bro, I have no urge to spend my time helping people who've made it clear from the start they won't do what is required to live this lifestyle. If your level of dedication is as stated; then go stuff your face with whatever seems to be high in protein and go to GNC and get ripped off like every other young guy trying to "gain weight" - then regret it all in your mid to late 20s when you're 20% body fat with minimal mass to show for it.

If you really give a shit, get some Tupperware, a George Foreman/rice cooker for your dorm, and a bunch of steam-in-the-bag veggies. Every few nights when you have some time, cook a bunch of lean meat, brown rice, veggies - portion it out into the containers and pack a lunch box every day. If you can't do that, you simply will fail at gaining quality mass expediently through diet. Period.

I'm really not trying to be a dick but don't tell me college is an excuse; being a grown man with a 9-5 job, a family, and such would be a better one and that accounts for half the guys on here.

P.S. I'm in grad school now - not just preaching; it's how I live.

yeah but college is harder than being a 9-5 job and a family just kidding, yeah i hear ya, i just gotta get my butt in gear, besides, i think cookin a shit ton of food at one time would be kind of fun, im gonna get rolling on this, thanks guys, i appreciate all this, even the hard feedback

Yeah man - cooking food in bulk is the only way to do it. Buy a bunch of chicken breasts or whatever your favorite lean protein is in-bulk on sale, season em however you like and cook. Hell, you could always buy rotisserie chickens for 100% convenience and eat the breasts skinless although that's more expensive and not ideal.

yeah im probably gonna pick up some like purdue chicken, those little strips, there only like 3.99 for like 8, get two of those and then get like 3lbs of lean chop meat and make some like burgers or something, would that be a good source? if the chop meat is like 80% lean?

Nah, 80% lean is 290 calories per 4 oz. with 200 of those via fat. 93% lean or better is available and not all that pricey by comparison. Chicken breast strips are great. If you like fish, or can tolerate it, bags of frozen tilapia are a cheap and excellent source.

yeah i love fish, i love salmon personally

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    ^ yeah tilapia is great, cheap and full of good protein. Get some egg whites too those are an excellent source of protein and amino acids.

yeah all i eat is eggs hahah i love eggs

Thread Information