spm162 is offline Associate Member

Ketosis clarification

I need some clarification as to how the ketosis diet works. I understand it forces your body to use fat as a source of fuel, but I still don't understand certain things. For instance, if your body is in ketosis and it doesn't have enough fat from your diet, won't it start metabolizing body fat? And while in ketosis, is it still good to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? I ask these questions b/c in my previous posts I was told that if I didn't eat enough fat in my diet, my bodsy would start metabolizing muscle, but I thought that that point of the ketosis diet was to force your body to burn body fat? Please someone explain how this works!

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    For instance, if your body is in ketosis and it doesn't have enough fat from your diet, won't it start metabolizing body fat?

yes it will and that is the point, we want to utilize ketones (body fat) as fuel, ketones are the primary source of body fuel but can only be used by putting ur body in the state of ketosis. Thats why people who try this diet and are to scared to eat high fat, it doesnt work for.

I beleive ketones are burned at 5 kals per g, and they are derived from body fat therefore burning more than trying to burn straight body fat at 9kals per gram.

Thats my basic understanding, i might be wrong but i have done a few keto diets. You can gather more info by searching google for sure

peace

you can search here too, there is lots of info

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    You are right about the ketones being burned at 5cals per g. Well from what I have read. The biggest problem I have heard with this diet is people not getting enough fat to put themselves into Keto. Some try to get more protein and this screws everything up. The protein is broken down to glucous and then the body doesn't go into keto because it has sugar in its system. Plus the body becomes more accoustomed to burning protein for energy and muscle catabolism becomes easier for the body. Not a good thing at all.
    A good site for some research is www.c-k-d.com

Pain

chinups Guest
    http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...hlight=ketosis

Original Jason-Is it ok to do keto for say three weeks right before my cycle just too burn some extra BF. I guess I want to know what the minimum is to run this diet.

your body breaks down fat to ketones at 2 or so cal/g
    if ketones are USED they break down at 2-3 cal/gram

So if your body needs 4000 calories and gets it from fat, if you are not in ketosis it only must burn (4000 / 1g/8cal) 500 grams of fat.
    in ketosis you would have to burn (4000/ 1g/5cal) 800 grams of fat.

Also some ketone gets urinated out, which futher reduced the efficency of fat metabolism, thefore demanding more fat to burn.

A problem happens if you dont eat enough though, your body isnt a FAST body fat burning machine and combined with the inefficency of the proccess in ketosis, you can only get so much energy out of body fat in so much time. so if you dont eat enough in your diet, you body cannot burn enough fat quick enough and it begins to rely on muscle.
    You ask, well if i eat alot of protien wont it burn that instead of muscle?
    somwhat, but whan you increase the amount of any substance too much in the body, all of the reactions that it can undergo will be pushed forward. one such reation is the breakdown of fat into the same cycle that allows fat to be burned at 8cal/g instead of the ketosis situation.

So eccess protien is bad, too little fat is bad.

Like the poridge that goldielocks ate, you have to eat "just right"

Also remeber, ther eis no reason to be scare of fat over protien in a ketosis diet. As opposed to during non ketosis diets, they are caloricly equal (about). 4/gram in pro and 5/gram in fat. so dont sweat eating the fats. The logic for not eating fats in a regular just doesnt apply here beacuse of the new metabolic path.

So then it wouldn't be a good idea to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, right? Which leads me to my next question...when doing cardio, what is the best exercise to do to burn fat? I usually run at 5 mph for about 1 hour 4-5x/week. Would it be better to just walk at 3 mph for longer since the body can't metabolize fat stores as fast or is running at that speed OK? And once you are in ketosis, can you eat only a small amount of fat and force your body to burn its own fat?

Bump

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    its not as easy as that, thats what i thought at first, if u stop taking in the fat you will probably go out of ketosis and start to utilize protein as energy, its not so easy my body seems to drift in and out and to different levels of ketosis, there is only so far you can go with weighing foods and reading labels.

I would say most effective has to be in aerobic mode, not anaerobic, hard cardio is not suggested on keto diets, i have tried it and once or tiwice felt very faint afterwards, i use the cross trainer, walk and bike nothing to much just do longer time.

peace

do whatever keeps your heart rate around 130-150

Thread Information