Thread: Protein Intake

Chili 11 is offline New Member

Protein Intake

Ok guys I need some help. I know that protein is a very important thing in your daily diet but I'm having such a hard time with my intake. Everyday I drink 3 shakes of High5 protein (30g per serving) and try to eat chicken, fish or tuna when I can. A couple things make it hard for me. One reason is I'm a full time student in college and I work nights in a resturant, and two I'm getting so burnt out on all the same foods and I know you guys say eat more eat more but I'm just not hungray. I really want to drop the BF before summer. I go to the gym 5 days a week hard and do cardio 30 minn a day. Another thing I am unsure of is how many carbs I schould be taking in as well as fat and calories. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Chili 5'9 187lbs, 16.5% BF

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    Ooo exact same questions I had as well... I think I eat too many carbs and not near enough protein during the day. When I work out, no matter for hard or for how long, I never get sore afterwards and I stopped getting stronger ( and Im no where near my max potential in steangth ). This leads me to think that Im not getting near enough protein

Is there a formula to determine how much you should be getting? Im 170, 5'11, 16 years old, and not sure of bf%
    Last edited by Mental_Hernia; 03-10-2003 at 05:15 PM.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    You can add in some eggs and lean meats. Those will help with the protein intake. As for carbs that is dependent on your metabolism and what you are trying to do cut or bulk. You have to learn your body and see what cal levels work for it and what macro ratios work for you. Experiment and have fun.

Pain

Chili 11 is offline New Member
    I am trying to cut up, I only seem to take in about 100-130 grams a day and like I said I am having a hard time feeding myself at times. I get to where I am not hungray so I dont eat.

Chili

beenie is offline Senior Member
    If you are working out 5 days a week and doing 30 minutes of cardio a day and not eating and you are 16.5% bf, I am at a loss for an explanation. What ARE you eating? If its Sugar Pops and Fritos, that might explain it.

Assuminging your cardio is of moderate intensity, and you are not eating lots of sugar or other high carb food, it SHOULD be coming down.

By the way, 16.5% is not unhealthy, but if you REALLY want to get cut, it will take you a while to get there. Lots of working out for maybe a year, and a very clean diet, you can get seriously cut. Generally you begin to see washboards when you get around 10%. The guys in the mags that are SUPER cut are often around 6-8%.

I have never been able to get much below 10%, because the lower I go the more stubborn my body resists. Good luck. Let me know what you are eating, okay?
    Last edited by beenie; 03-11-2003 at 08:48 AM.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Chili 11- PAin is right (AGAIN) on this one. It all depends on how your body handles carbs. As for protein, start off with this 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM or just use your weight. Take how much you weigh and multiply by 1.5 and that's roughly the amount of protein you should be eating. As for not being able to eat. that's just part of the game. You have to keep making yourself eat, now I'm not saying to over eat. The trick is with each meal is to not eat until you're full but just to the point where you're not hungry. Space your meals out about every 3-4 hours. Don't rely on shakes. Try posting what you eat in a typical day and see if we can maybe change some things around.

Mental- You're soreness after a workout is not the way to determine if you workedout hard enough. If you're not seeing anymore gains change up your routine, or take a week off and rest. Also it could be your diet or not getting enough rest. There are many variables in making gains.

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...threadid=46470

That lays out what I eat... Mind assessing that for me, TEX?

Ok so you want to put on some size but keep the bf from getting outta control. Here's a basic plan to start with, remember to place your meals about 3 to 4 hours apart.
    example:

6am
    1/2- 1 cup oatmeal
    6 egg whites/ 2 yolks

9am
    1 turkey breast sandwhich w/ whole wheat bread
    fruit (maybe)

12pm
    1- 1 1/2 chicken breast
    2/3 cup veggie
    1/2 cup rice/yams/ oats

3pm
    1 can tuna
    1/2 cup oats

6pm
    lean red meat/chicken/fish
    1 cup veggie
    1/2 cup rice/ yams/ oats

9pm
    egg white omellete
    picante sauce
    1/2 cup skim milk

before bed
    protein shake

Now remember, this is just an example, you can add to or take away foods to make it work for you.

Looking at what you normally eat, it's definatly not enough, now it all depends on how active you are. I suggest eating 5-6 meals a day. Slowly increase your calories until you start putting on weight and go from there. If you bf% increases, either add some cardio or back off a little either on carbs or total calories.

Thread Information