sooner45 is offline Member

Flavored oats vs real oats??

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either one?!?! I have been eating 1 packet of the flavored quaker oats in the morning. Along with the ? about which oats, is 1 packet enought along with 5 egg whites, a protein shake, and 1 tbsp of flax seed oil in the morning?!?!?!

By the way, I'm cutting, just in case that was needed......?!?!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Flavored instant oats are bad IMO, they contain a lot of sugars, the GI value is much higer than regular oats because they have been processed to cook quick. IMO they suck and won't use them. And your question of is that enough, that is dependent upon what you are doing. If I was bulking I would use more carbs in the morning than that, if I am cutting that is a fine amount.

Pain

durbin22 is offline Member
    It's all about the sugar.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree with the previous two posters. Its loaded with sugar. It is so counterprodiuctive to cutting. The oatmeal itself is high in carb, and probably counterproductive to cutting, but if you feel you NEED to eat carbs, at least it is a complex form of them. The added sugar in the flavored kind gets you nothing. Instead, why not try mixing some sol carb (and hence no sugar) protien powder to flavor it. Better yet, kill the oatmeal altogether.

Why kill the oats??!! Every cutting diet I have seen has oats in it. For a certain amount of carbs..........

Oats (the slow cook kind) are a great source of carbs and fiber. Unless you are going very low carb under 80g per day or keto. I think they are fine to leave in, great to accompany those egg whites for breakfast. Just remember to get them earlier in the day.

Pain

sherpa27 is offline Junior Member
    As long as you have them early in the day it shouldnt matter all that much. But just go with unflavored for a week or two adn see what happens to your body. Also flavoring doesnt just have to be sugar, get creative, dieting sucks bro but you can make a little better, try splenda or sweet and low or fruits low on the GI

Just made a run and got some "Quaker Oats 100% whole grain" Is that what you guy mean by "slow-cooked"???

Does it take 5 mins to cook and are the oats really big not small and crushed or powdered like instant?? If so then it is.

Pain

Yup thats it my man! Can you throw those in the micro w/ water like instant??

I don't think so, check the directions, but I have never seen it say you can.

Pain

HorseFace is offline Junior Member
    I hate cooked oats. I just pour some cold water on flaked oats and it tastes ok

xplicit is offline Member
    The one minute instant oatmeal by quakers is no good?

hybrid is offline Member
    The shorter the cooking time, the more processed the oats are, which gives them a higher GI, which means your body converts them to sugar easier. It's kind of like whole wheat flour versus white flour. The five minute kind are good. The best and least processed oats are steel cut oats, or oat groats. They take 20 minutes to cook. Taste really good. I only have them on the weekends, when I am not in a hurry. Makes for a good change of pace over regular oatmeal.

Originally posted by hybrid
    The shorter the cooking time, the more processed the oats are, which gives them a higher GI, which means your body converts them to sugar easier. It's kind of like whole wheat flour versus white flour. The five minute kind are good. The best and least processed oats are steel cut oats, or oat groats. They take 20 minutes to cook. Taste really good. I only have them on the weekends, when I am not in a hurry. Makes for a good change of pace over regular oatmeal.
    Agreed, I love the steel cut but I don't have time for them.

Pain

xplicit is offline Member
    I just boil water and add it to the oatmeal, am i suppose to heat up the actually oats too?

Both the 5 minute and one minute have 100% natural rolled oats in them and have the same exact nutrional table. So how will you know that the one minute is processed if you guys never told me ? Shouldnt there be something that hints at in on the box?

Originally posted by xplicit
    I just boil water and add it to the oatmeal, am i suppose to heat up the actually oats too?

Both the 5 minute and one minute have 100% natural rolled oats in them and have the same exact nutrional table. So how will you know that the one minute is processed if you guys never told me ? Shouldnt there be something that hints at in on the box?
    Yes you have to cook the oats! The only way to know the real deal with foods is research bro.

Pain

hybrid is offline Member
    The longer the oats have to be cooked, the less processed they are.

Thread Information