sooner45 is offline Member

Skim Milk ok w/ protein shakes?!?

I have recently started 6: a.m. workouts (which i love!!!) and was just wondering if using skim milk with my potein shakes is ok?? I usually have about 3 a day. about 8:30 after workout, one about 4:00-4:30, and one about 9:00-9:30 before bed. Is that ok for a cutting diet? Water just tastes like shit with it, and I can stand the skim milk, but dont want to sacrifice my cutting by using skim milk. Also, is 15 min of HIIT cardio 4-5 times a week enough? I'm trying to do more each day but the body is trying to adjust to more..so I was just wondering if 15 min is enough. It usually comes out to about 1.25 miles a day.........

p.s. also running EQ/ECA

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would suck it up and use water. Milk has a low GI value but causes a huge insulin increase, scientist don't really know why but they beleive it has to do with the amino acids in it and the fact that milk is supposed to be used for growing newborns. Insulin can wreak havoc on a cutting diet. Also 3 cups of milk is about 40g of carbs extra a day. That is a bit much for my carb intake when I am cutting. For the cardio, I would suggest 30mins as 15mins just starts to get into the fat stores. But HIIT has the benefits of working after you stop training. But IMO I still think 30mins will do you better. Try to get up to that level, make it a challenge.

Pain

So should I just not do HIIT and keep it at a steady speed for 30 min??

What about throwing a banana in with that water and protein? That be ok?

Depends on your liking and results you get with HIIT. I prefer regular old cardio and that is what I do. Some people love HIIT. You have to find what works best for you.

Pain

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i agree with pain. skim pretty much tastes like water anyway. i use water

Originally posted by sooner45
    What about throwing a banana in with that water and <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>? That be ok?
    A banana will have about the same insulin effects and a regular banana has 30g of carbs each. Worse Idea.

Pain

Damn I'm glad I talked to you guys!!! HAHA!

chinups Guest
    A banana is really good for post workout shake, I have read alot of articles boasting about how good a banana right after workout is. I would not have a banana 3X a day with every shake but post workout u should be fine.

Im naughty i suppose, I wont drink my shake unless i made it with skim milk.........

I would say drink it with water if you can....but, if you know yourself, and you know that you wont drink your shakes as often if you make them with water than just use the milk. Logic being, i would be more scared of too little protien while cutting than too much insulin response.

But be strong and drink it with water! Dont be like me....

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    When bulking use milk, when dieting down use water. As for the banana thing, it is a bad idea. Chinups, I think I've read something about that. I don't think post workout would hurt either.

Carbs post workout are fine (in a normal dosage, don't get 300g and think you are fine) they go right to your muscles.

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    Carbs post workout are fine (in a normal dosage, don't get 300g and think you are fine) they go right to your muscles.

Pain
    So the idea that if 30grams are good for me so 300grams would be great is a bit wrong?

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN

So the idea that if 30grams are good for me so 300grams would be great is a bit wrong?
    Ya, just like the good old, " I lost 10lbs on 6 ECA pills I bet I will lose 20lbs on 12 ECA pills" next thing you know we have a dead pitcher and the supplement industry is screwed.

Pain

mustang331 is offline Member
    What is HIIT?

Exactly! Sad to say it also happens with gear. Someone gets good results with say 200-400mg a week of something and before you know it they start trying 800+ a week and wonder why shit happens to 'em.

Originally posted by mustang331
    What is HIIT?
    High Intensity Interval Training. It is where you train really fast for a few mins at a high heart rate then train for a little at a low heart rate. Keep doing this for the entire training time. It supposedly has more fat burning benefits after your workout. Do a search for more info there is a lot.

Pain

I always thought HIIT was something you do after your buddy passes you the bon.....oh wait a minute.....

mustang331 is offline Member
    LOL

What would burn more fat you think.. This for 30 min. or 65-70% at 60 min.?

Truthfully I don't know, I haven't seen any studies done on how effective HIIT is. From my personal experiments I liked cardio at 65% for 45 mins better. I think I got better results.

Pain

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Mix your protein with crystal light. Tastes good to me. 0 calories, and 0 carbs. 0 everything!

Originally posted by powerlifterjay
    Mix your <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> with crystal light. Tastes good to me. 0 calories, and 0 carbs. 0 everything!
    Never thought of doing that. What flavor combos do you like??

I too prefer the 65% for 45 minutes or so......I can't wait for my boy to start sleeping throug hthe night, so I can start getting up early to do cardio again.

Hey powerlifterjay! Thanks for the idea on cvrystal light! Taste great and works like a charm!!!! I've just tried the rasberry one.....but still a hell of alot better than just water, which your pretty much drinkn water anyway!

Thread Information