ADB007 is offline Associate Member

Intermittent fasting

Hey all. I have been following the intermittent fasting approach for some time now and my bodyfat has significantly decreased and my strength has increased. I managed to get through a major plateau with this method of dieting.

It is basically 16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating periods. It go's against everything we have learnt about bodybuilding, but it definitley does work.. it is actually amazing. It is especially great for someone who doesn't get satisfied by eating many small meals in the day and would rather eat 2 LARGE meals.

You can find out more on the bodybuilding .com advanced nutrition forums as it is gaining HUGE popularity there. You can also check out leangains.com which is a free site dedicated to intermittent fasting.

Cheers
    Last edited by ADB007; 04-17-2011 at 07:42 AM.

VegasRenegade is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Blog Entries
    I have found that for me two meals and small bedtime snack works best for weight loss. I think all people are different. I did not follow a IF diet but I did fast from time to time from 24/48 hours

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by ADB007 View Post
    Hey all. I have been following the intermittent fasting approach for some time now and my bodyfat has significantly decreased and my strength has increased. I managed to get through a major plateau with this method of dieting.

It is basically 16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating periods. It go's against everything we have learnt about bodybuilding, but it definitley does work.. it is actually amazing. It is especially great for someone who doesn't get satisfied by eating many small meals in the day and would rather eat 2 LARGE meals.

You can find out more on the bodybuilding .com advanced nutrition forums as it is gaining HUGE popularity there. You can also check out leangains.com which is a free site dedicated to intermittent fasting.

Cheers
    Do you have before and after pics?

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Why would fasting not work for weight loss? Is there something I am missing? You don't eat for 16 hours and you lost weight... this "dieting" has been around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Why would fasting not work for weight loss? Is there something I am missing? You don't eat for 16 hours and you lost weight... this "dieting" has been around for a long time.
    It's not reinventing the wheel, it's just this author's spin on fasting. It would be near impossible for me to implement as i'm currently training Mon/WedThu in the evening, and Tues/Fri in the early morning. I wouldn't be able to stick to an 18/6 fast/eat schedule.

The problem with fasting is the effects on your metabolism that last long after your done with the diet. Keto has the same problem. Not eating always works, but what happens when you start eating again? Hint: fat gain.

Advocates of fasting argue that the amount of time the fast is maintained (in the case of leangains it's 18 hours) is not nearly enough time for metabolism to down regulate. With consistent feedings every day (6 hour period), you're really not 'not eating' for any extended period of time, relatively speaking.

AD - I started a thread to discuss the fasting approach in general (not just leangains) not realizing this thread was titled the same. Sorry brotha!

ADB007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    The problem with fasting is the effects on your metabolism that last long after your done with the diet. Keto has the same problem. Not eating always works, but what happens when you start eating again? Hint: fat gain.
    Hint: Bro-science (what you hear from the ripped guy in your gym)

No scientific backing to your claim

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Quote Originally Posted by ADB007 View Post
    Hint: Bro-science (what you hear from the ripped guy in your gym)

No scientific backing to your claim

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
    I will post a response on the thread by GB but to sum it up I speak from experience not broscience. Also there are many studies related to fasting and its negative effects on metabolism. But after reading more about IF I see it isn't fasting as I thought. It's more like just a delayed meal period. If someone says to me they are fasting I would expect they aren't eating for at least one day. Either way if you follow what you linked me to I see no problem. I know you don't need my stamp of approval lol but there it is.

Thread Information