ValeTudoFighter is offline Junior Member

Green Vegetable vs Others

A lot of times I hear people mention green vegetables rather than just vegetables. What is the significant difference between green veggies and others, carrots in particular? Thanks for the help.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Green veggies usually always have higher fiber contents, lower sugar contents and lower total carb contents when it comes to serving size. But all your veggies are good in respect to getting photonutrients.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Watch carrots which have a higher sugar level compared to most veggies and will cause more of an spike. (SO I'VE HEARD, DON'T HOLD ME TO THIS)

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

yes......

u are right Tex........carrots are very very sugary, and cause a huge slin spike........also stay away from corn and peas.

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    i think its not too much a question of 'green' vegetables, its more 'fibrous' vegetables. some, like carrots, have more sugar, less fiver, and thus more nett carbs and higher affect on insulin . fibrous vege's like brocolli, cauliflower, green pepper etc. have more fiber and more complex carbs, in the little amount they have, which reduces nett carbs to almost insignificant and the effect on insulin is pretty much nothing. try finding veg high in fiber rather than by color - green beans and peas for example aren't the greatest of choices when trying to cut carbs.

Thanks Swole......actually I think I originally heard it from YOU anyways....LOL. I stick with spinach(my fav), broccoli, green beans, and sometimes cauliflower.

ValeTudoFighter is offline Junior Member
    Hey thanks guys, thats exactly the info I was looking for. For me its all about whats easiest because I am never home and always stoping at the A&P to grab somthing to eat. Carrots are easy, they come in single serving bags and are ready to eat out of the bag. Is it ok to eat broccoli and green beans with out cooking them? And how about celery, that, like carrots is very easy to eat on the run. Thanks again.

It's ok to eat all veggies without cooking 'em. Just rinse them off though.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually better to eat raw veggies, you kill most of the good enzymes when you cook veggies. That means your digestive track will have to work overtime and you have fewer available nutrients to feed your hungry muscles. Means that 40g of protein you just eat, you probably only got 25g of it.

Pain

Thread Information